Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

roadmaster wrote: »
    I was following a air corps 139 on ADSBexchange from Dublin to the fermanagh border. It seam to be only showing now and again. Is that it dipping below radar or what would cause it not to not be constant to seen along its route on ADSBexchange?

Most likely because it is at low level and not close enough to a receiver feeding ADS-B Exchange to maintain coverage. That site does not seem to provide as good coverage of Ireland as FR24.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Cheers its not to bad for military aircraft but like you said in general its poor compared to fr24

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Antonov 12 on the way to shannon just passing overhead waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

Something going on in Shannon?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

irishgti wrote: »
    Something going on in Shannon?

That hex code is a new Embraer Phenom 300 only delivered at the weekend, reg M-ASER

• Advertisement

EIXIN just took off from DUB, flew a few 100 km west over the Atlantic, turned right around and landed in .SNN

Tech issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

EIXIN just took off from DUB, flew a few 100 km west over the Atlantic, turned right around and landed in .SNN

Tech issue?

Going to SNN for storage until the new year

Thought I awoke to hear a turboprop aircraft going overhead here, Castlebar but upon checking flight radar. I think it was this aircraft.

A U.S. Air Force Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker

https://www.flightradar24.com/2020-12-18/08:40/36x/OTIS81/26571851

Strange. It was only flying at 27,000 feet, could that be because it had a full fuel load?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A U.S. Air Force Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker

https://www.flightradar24.com/2020-12-18/08:40/36x/OTIS81/26571851

Strange. It was only flying at 27,000 feet, could that be because it had a full fuel load?
    Wouldn't be a full load after 4-5 hours from departure.
    I'm gonna guess it was low level to prevent traffic issues with civilian traffic.
    Also the USAF dont need to care for fuel efficiency too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lonestar1

This was deffo a C130, I caught a glimpse of it just west of Mullingar yesterday morning heading east under patchy blue skies, unmistakable drone off it ,and also caught the sun glistening off the props, it flew onto Cambridge(UK)
    incidentally "OTIS82" a C-130J(168069) USMC,has flown just south of Cork also heading a eastbound @25000ft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Tenger wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess it was low level to prevent traffic issues with civilian traffic.

FL270 is below the eastbound NAT HLA tracks, so out of the way of the majority of civi traffic. (https://code7700.com/airspace_nat_hla.htm#ref).

OTIS is the callsign of Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252 (VMGR-252) stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina and operating KC-130s. It has used this callsign for decades, as it happens. As ever, personal observation can be more reliable than the databases of an online tracking site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

yep, it's a miscoded box... the ADSB followers are always annoyed by it....

The KC-135 it's mapped to also, appears to have not flown since the summer and is in Phoenix Arizona

EchoIndia wrote: »
    OTIS is the callsign of Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252 (VMGR-252) stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina and operating KC-130s. It has used this callsign for decades, as it happens. As ever, personal observation can be more reliable than the databases of an online tracking site.

Ah a turbo prop, that would explain why it was out of the NAT tracks, not fast enough. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What’s with the RVL Aviation over the South East anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Due to demand to get people home from the UK by midnight and that earlier flights were substantially oversold, EI sent over an A330 to effect a mass evacuation

Due to demand to get people home from the UK by midnight and that earlier flights were substantially oversold, EI sent over an A330 to effect a mass evacuation

That flight is regularly operated by an A330 so not quite correct. BA A321N en route LHR-DUB now with remaining pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I wonder what essential aviation service is being carried out here ? I guess air sampling but for what, what would be essential in a pandemic anyone know ?

Capture2.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I wonder what essential aviation service is being carried out here ? I guess air sampling but for what, what would be essential in a pandemic anyone know ?

Capture2.PNG

Similar over south east Ireland yesterday for some reason

Flight came from East Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Capture2.PNG

G-LEAF Reims-Cessna F406 Caravan II RVL Aviation....Ariel Survey and laser scanning for terrain modelling.

• Advertisement

Capture2.PNG

My guess would be survey work, there isn't much traffic in the sky's at the moment and it may have been an ideal time to complete a job. I couldn't see what altitude it was working at but could be either digital photography or LIDAR survey.

As to whether its essential during a pandemic, well that's for another forum I suspect.

https://www.rvl-group.com/aerial-survey/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Growler!!! wrote: »
    My guess would be survey work, there isn't much traffic in the sky's at the moment and it may have been an ideal time to complete a job. I couldn't see what altitude it was working at but could be either digital photography or LIDAR survey.

As to whether its essential during a pandemic, well that's for another forum I suspect.

https://www.rvl-group.com/aerial-survey/

It was at 5,000 ft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just after driving in and out of Limerick city on the M7 and there's a great smell of jet fuel about 5 miles out from Castletroy. I presume a plane had to dump surplus fuel. How often does this happen and why?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just after driving in and out of Limerick city on the M7 and there's a great smell of jet fuel about 5 miles out from Castletroy. I presume a plane had to dump surplus fuel. How often does this happen and why?

Nothing to do with a plane at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Tenger wrote: »

Most likely non RVSM compliant. That airspace commences at FL285.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

there's a great smell of jet fuel about 5 miles out from Castletroy
    Why do you think it’s aviation fuel rather than normal kerosene?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Most likely non RVSM compliant. That airspace commences at FL285.
    doesn’t the NAT-HLA also require CPDLC-FANS and ADS-B-V2 these days ?

smurfjed wrote: »

Would a turbo prop be allowed into the HLA? Very difficult to use the Mach number technique if the max is about .55?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

smurfjed wrote: »

no... if you want to work on reduced separation tracks, you need those 2... they can happily route you the old HF reporting way on other tracks (which won't be ideal routing now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Anyone notice the flight from the UK (Eastmidlands) at the moment.

Seems to be a small aircraft doing a fair bit of circling around Shannon.

Advertisement