Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bk wrote: »
    From what I've seen on other (non-aviation) forums, the majority of people seem to want us to lock down more, not open up.

In fact there have been multiple threads over on r/ireland about tourists from US and UK coming here and people are pretty outraged. So much so that lots of them are writing to TD's asking them to put more stringent measures in place.

Outside of the bubble of the aviation industry, there is little or no public support for travel from what I can see.

There's much more safer places than the UK and US that could and should be able to come and go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

bk wrote: »
    Way to generalise there :rolleyes:

Only 4.8% of posters there are under 18 (as of 2018). 32% 18 to 24, 27% 25 to 29, 20% 30 to 34

https://imgur.com/a/MYuyRXk

Sounds like pretty solid age group of people who frequently fly.

Actually if you read the minutes from the meetings of the government committee on reopening of aviation who published the report a few weeks ago, you will see that they did an informal poll of both TD's and the public and found little support for reopening aviation.

I'd love to see one of the newspapers to carry out a proper national polling on it. I suspect there is little or no support amongst the majority of the public.

This is why the politicians are so comfortable with being conservative about this and telling people to staycation. It is inline with what how the majority of the public feel and are telling them.

I don't think that link proves the point you think it does. According its figures a grand total of only 35% of reddit/Ireland users are older than their 20s or teens... that would seem to agree rather strongly with my statement that it skews disproportionately young. Its also certainly not disproving my point that the site is not a demographically valid representation of the wider Irish population.

Informal polls of TDs are worth about as much as reddit threads. The fact that so many people are booking flights in July and August, and that Dublin Airport's PAX numbers are increasing every day, are rather more quantifiable figures here. Ryanair's load factor was at 70% as of last Wednesday, and its increasing every day. That would seem a pretty strong vote of confidence from a significant amount of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Lufthansa is introduction Rapid Corona testing in Frankfurt, €139 for a 6 hour test and €9 to have the results placed in your passport.

This might help to stimulate business travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

If there is less chance of me picking up the virus in Reykjavik, Bratislava etc than there is in Dublin, from an Irish point of view why should people not be allowed travel there?

Sorry to double post but Dr. Jack Lambert is on the Pat Kenny show right now advocating the air bridge / green list concept. He specifically stated there is zero reason for people not to travel to Spain right now. "If you wear a mask when required, maintain social distancing and good hand hygene, it makes no difference whether you are in Dublin or Spain". He was also asked what if there was then a surge in the country you were visiting, and his response was that the exact same thing could just as easily happen in Dublin.

He also warned we are a minimum of 18 months from having a vaccine, if ever, and blanket bans on all travel are nonsensical and unsustainable. We are going to be in this situation with COVID probably for a couple of years at least, the hysteria needs to be tempered. Arguments against controlled travel as per the air bridge concept are looking increasingly hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

smurfjed wrote: »
    Lufthansa is introduction Rapid Corona testing in Frankfurt, €139 for a 6 hour test and €9 to have the results placed in your passport.

That's all well and good but results are only valid for a short while as traveller could pick it up the following day in hotel etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

HTCOne wrote: »
    Sorry to double post but Dr. Jack Lambert is on the Pat Kenny show right now advocating the air bridge / green list concept. He specifically stated there is zero reason for people not to travel to Spain right now. "If you wear a mask when required, maintain social distancing and good hand hygene, it makes no difference whether you are in Dublin or Spain". He was also asked what if there was then a surge in the country you were visiting, and his response was that the exact same thing could just as easily happen in Dublin.

He also warned we are a minimum of 18 months from having a vaccine, if ever, and blanket bans on all travel are nonsensical and unsustainable. We are going to be in this situation with COVID probably for a couple of years at least, the hysteria needs to be tempered. Arguments against controlled travel as per the air bridge concept are looking increasingly hysterical.

Everything he says there makes total sense imo. I've been saying this for a long time, that we need to learn to live alongside the virus. The recent announcements from management at my nearest airport (Shannon) are testament to the end result of blanket travel bans. Don't get me wrong, Shannon was in trouble before this, but it's decline has been massively accelerated by covid. It's very sad to see, and the sight of multiple planes parked on the runway at Shannon from different countries and companies is depressing for someone like me that works in aviation. The future is looking very bleak....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not much point now to be honest when travel within the EU is allowed. Wouldn't exactly be in a rush to go beyond the EU at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Beats the pricing of €275 that the Mater private hospital is charging patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Interesting, Uni's including Queens in Belfast chartering a plane to bring Chinese students in directly. https://daro.qub.ac.uk/Chartered-flight-to-bring-Chinese-students-to-Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

EK are still sending our termination letters but the final numbers are unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What is the idea behind banning cabin baggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Gael23 wrote: »

Stops gowls shoving themselves all over other passengers mid flight rummaging in overhead bins for something they dont really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

kona wrote:
    Stops gowls shoving themselves all over other passengers mid flight rummaging in overhead bins for something they dont really need.

Exactly. The one good thing to come out of this.

Maybe when people board the plane they might just sit in their seats instead of clogging up the aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Gael23 wrote: »

Speeds up boarding and disembarking too and prevents bottlenecks where people are stuck standing in the aisle.

Missed Dr Lambert on the radio, but he speaks sense. The Government is letting people down by issuing blanket advise when some countries are safe to travel too. They've even got the President of the NAPD involved in the preaching now and he's made a fool of himself saying kids who holiday can't return to school.

We now have a school teacher telling us what we can and cannot do. Thought I left that behind after 6th year.

The difference in the Government from last month to now is night and day, and aviation is paying a heavy price for the complete lack of leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Banning cabin baggage will come as a welcome relief to everyone who works in an airline. No more pesk fights with grown adult children.

Jack1985 wrote:
    Banning cabin baggage will come as a welcome relief to everyone who works in an airline. No more pesk fights with grown adult children.

It's fantastic.

Cant wait to have a sly little snigger when the morons who think the rules dont apply to them are stopped at boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Jack1985 wrote: »

I was under the impression that most airlines were checking in hand luggage and only letting people bring a bag that fits under the seat in front of you

ZX7R wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most airlines were checking in hand luggage and only letting people bring a bag that fits under the seat in front of you

The conversation is referring to overhead bin use

The conversation is referring to overhead bin use

All right I get you.
    As a person who is traveling soon with family we try our best just to bring one carry on bag and that is for my son special needs ,we try to put everything in the hold/ check in ,it saves so much messing around for us and everyone else.
    Straight to the seat no hopping in and out messing with a bag

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote:
    All right I get you. As a person who is traveling soon with family we try our best just to bring one carry on bag and that is for my son special needs ,we try to put everything in the hold/ check in ,it saves so much messing around for us and everyone else. Straight to the seat no hopping in and out messing with a bag

It's so easy, isn't it?

Shame a large number of people can't seem to master it.

ZX7R wrote: »
    All right I get you.
    As a person who is traveling soon with family we try our best just to bring one carry on bag and that is for my son special needs ,we try to put everything in the hold/ check in ,it saves so much messing around for us and everyone else.
    Straight to the seat no hopping in and out messing with a bag

Anyone that needs a personal item carrying medication for example or for delicate needs in some personal circumstances there would be an exception to that but by placing it underneath the seat infront, that's the case at Aer Lingus anyhow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's so easy, isn't it?

Shame a large number of people can't seem to master it.

Its the absolutely eyewatering fees that are often charged for hold baggage (even light, cabin-sized bags), some seasonal, by most airlines that are the main issue.

With KLMs lighter bag fee and discount for even having a loyalty card (no status at all required) I would nearly always check my cabin sized bag through to avoid any liquid faffery; and just use a messenger bag or thin backpack for laptop + documents.

Anyone that needs a personal item carrying medication for example or for delicate needs in some personal circumstances there would be an exception to that but by placing it underneath the seat infront, that's the case at Aer Lingus anyhow

My son's bag is just a baby's changing bag always fits under the seat in front of me.
    Sadly he is still in nappies 8 years old.
    Daughter carries a small bag ,small kids tablet colouring book studying toy.
    Wife handbag me nothing.
    We always take as little as possible on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

HTCOne wrote: »
    If there is less chance of me picking up the virus in Reykjavik, Bratislava etc than there is in Dublin, from an Irish point of view why should people not be allowed travel there?

I agree but thinking is people from hotspots can also travel there so you don’t just meet locals there so risk isn’t limited to local Covid population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

kona wrote: »

Also the overhead bin opening handles become an extremely high touch area very quickly so stopping people going at them is a good idea straight away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

L1011 wrote: »
    Its the absolutely eyewatering fees that are often charged for hold baggage (even light, cabin-sized bags), some seasonal, by most airlines that are the main issue.

With KLMs lighter bag fee and discount for even having a loyalty card (no status at all required) I would nearly always check my cabin sized bag through to avoid any liquid faffery; and just use a messenger bag or thin backpack for laptop + documents.

I seem to be in the minority of business travellers who prefer to check in my bag. I pretty much always do it whenever possible. Carrying a bag through the airport, onto the plane and off again, having to drag a pile of stuff into the bathroom if you wanna go while waiting, worrying about whether you can fit it in somewhere when you get on the plane etc is a pain in the arse. For the sake of saving 10 min at the baggage carousel on a 3-4 hour trip anyway I just couldn't be arsed.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I agree but thinking is people from hotspots can also travel there so you don’t just meet locals there so risk isn’t limited to local Covid population.

But the whole point of the air bridge concept is people from each country can only travel to countries on the list, one country can’t let in the yanks for example while all the others don’t, as they’ll be then booted off the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If people have to use the hold for their carry on bags are the airline waving the fee? I have often being on flights were by the check in agents would ask for people to volunteer for the carry on bag be placed in the hold FOC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Well the Irish Govt stance on travel is out of step with reality in my opinion. Throughout this crisis we were hobbled by the CTA with the UK.
    Now the UK are accepting inbound travellers who can freely travel to Ireland. But we still have this restriction in direct inbound travel.

EU ppl are free to travel within each others nations but none of them will come to us to endure the 14 day restriction.

Advertisement