Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

My youngest went back this morning. She skipped in the door ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Our two were back Monday, 8 to 12 for the first two weeks. 3 year old was a bit clingy, yesterday in particular but his 23 month old sister was no bother at all. She is much more gregarious than he is anyway. Other than that, its good for them to be back in a bit of a routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Has anyone been asked to provide a doctors note by their crèche? My little one went back on the 29th and all was good. Last week we were asked to pick him up as he had a temp of 38 (he was fine going in that morning). He’s had no other symptoms and his temp has been under 37.5 since we took him home.

His crèche are saying that we need a letter from his GP confirming he’s not contagious, this is regardless of whether we keep him home for 14 days, have him tested... Called our GP who advised that they don’t issue wellness certs/letters for kids in crèche.

Other than changing GP (which might not even be an option) I’m at a loss as to what to do here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think you need to link back in with creche + tell them what GP said. I totally understand where creche are coming from with policy but as we all know as winter comes in every child across country is going to come down with colds/flu. Are they going to test every child when this happens numerous times?

At end of day its the GP who decide for example who will/wont get tested for Covid. So really if you say that GP has decide dont meet criteria + no issue then hopefully creche will be OK with that. I think in our creches policy its GP must be consulted + then you take their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Casey75 wrote: »
    Has anyone been asked to provide a doctors note by their crèche? My little one went back on the 29th and all was good. Last week we were asked to pick him up as he had a temp of 38 (he was fine going in that morning). He’s had no other symptoms and his temp has been under 37.5 since we took him home.

His crèche are saying that we need a letter from his GP confirming he’s not contagious, this is regardless of whether we keep him home for 14 days, have him tested... Called our GP who advised that they don’t issue wellness certs/letters for kids in crèche.

Other than changing GP (which might not even be an option) I’m at a loss as to what to do here...

Contact your local Tusla office. Our crèche have the same requirement in their sickness policy. I contacted Tusla who said there no requirement for a medical cert and asked me to send them a copy of the sickness policy and that they’d take it up with the crèche directly. It hasn’t been tested yet as my child thankfully hasn’t been sick since going back but I’ll be back on to Tusla again if it’s raised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be realistic, no GP can issue a letter stating a child is not contagious. It might be true in the few hours after the letter is written but outside of that, it is a pointless gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our GP practice has stated it won't issue letters for children to return to child care. Which makes sense, they're meaningless.

The sickness policy in our crèche says if the child is unwell and has any possible COVID symptoms they need a medical cert from the doctor stating they do not have COVID 19. I asked if this meant my child had to have a COVID test every time it had any symptom which could be COVID, as how else is GP going to state child does not have COVID without testing and was told they don’t know what my gp is going to do so for me to discuss with gp. Such nonsense, how can a gp definitively state in a medical cert that child does not have COVID without testing, is a toddler supposed to be tested every time they have a runny nose. Tusla said there should be no mention of medical cert in sickness policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Toastytoes wrote: »
    The sickness policy in our crèche says if the child is unwell and has any possible COVID symptoms they need a medical cert from the doctor stating they do not have COVID 19. I asked if this meant my child had to have a COVID test every time it had any symptom which could be COVID, as how else is GP going to state child does not have COVID without testing and was told they don’t know what my gp is going to do so for me to discuss with gp. Such nonsense, how can a gp definitively state in a medical cert that child does not have COVID without testing, is a toddler supposed to be tested every time they have a runny nose. Tusla said there should be no mention of medical cert in sickness policy.

You could get a covid test for the child and then provide the creche with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

You could get a covid test for the child and then provide the creche with the result.

How many times do you think you'll get a creche aged child to do a covid test? You would be lucky if you could get it done the first time.

Sorry a covid test every time a 2 year old has the sniffles? Are you even a parent? Ridiculous and Tusla obviously agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

It is absolutely ridiculous to expect a child to be covid tested unless their doctor or contact tracing requests it. Asking a child be certified as covid free displays a disturbing lack of understanding for the whole thing.

The hse childcare guidance document suggests the following declaration be signed by the parent or guardian following any absence:
    "I have no reason to believe that my child has infectious disease and I have followed all medical
    and public health guidance with respect to exclusion of my child from childcare services."

Anything beyond the above I would seriously question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My 2yo had a high temp in creche last week so they rang us and we picked him up. It was still high the next day so we rang GP who wouldn't see him until he had a covid test. We got that done and results back negative within a couple of days. Our creche didn't say anything about wanting proof of a negative test or cert from a doctor. They had been in touch throughout though and we let them know as soon as we got the results back.

He really didn't like the swab up the nose, who would!? Unfortunately though for kids his age I think it will be a regular occurrence especially as we come into winter and minor bugs are the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think they need to find alternative way of testing for children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My child was tested and they only swabbed the back of throat, not up the nose. Result was negative. A couple of days later I then started having symptoms, presumed cos my child was negative that the GP would say I had just caught whatever other virus my child had. The GP then advised that the rate of false negatives amongst children is quite high!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

fits wrote: »
    I think they need to find alternative way of testing for children!

I saw an article yesterday in the IT - someone saying they have to find another way to test because small children won't do it...you would be lucky if you got it once from them.
    I also see that nasal drops will be used to give the flu vaccine to kids this winter - thank god, needles would not have happened for at least 1 of mine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/experts-examine-less-invasive-covid-19-testing-for-children-1.4327711?mode=amp

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40030601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

shesty wrote: »
    I saw an article yesterday in the IT - someone saying they have to find another way to test because small children won't do it...you would be lucky if you got it once from them.
    I also see that nasal drops will be used to give the flu vaccine to kids this winter - thank god, needles would not have happened for at least 1 of mine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/experts-examine-less-invasive-covid-19-testing-for-children-1.4327711?mode=amp

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40030601.html

One of mine has been getting the flu vaccine via needle (he's 3.5). We manage, but an alternative might be better. The nasal swab though, I dont think you'd do that more than once with him.

Just read that Irish times article
    She compared the experience of the nasopharyngeal swab in children to a blood test given the difficulty in keeping children still during the process.

Sounds about right. We've been in for blood tests - had to go to hospital to do it and it was not fun. Not fun at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

My child was tested and they only swabbed the back of throat, not up the nose. Result was negative. A couple of days later I then started having symptoms, presumed cos my child was negative that the GP would say I had just caught whatever other virus my child had. The GP then advised that the rate of false negatives amongst children is quite high!

My young lad (4) was tested and I was advised because he was under 5 it would be back of the throat only. A mate's kid was tested, also throat only and he is 5 so must be throat only for 5 and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

My young lad (4) was tested and I was advised because he was under 5 it would be back of the throat only. A mate's kid was tested, also throat only and he is 5 so must be throat only for 5 and under.

My one year old was tested yesterday and they did the nasal swab. They tried for the throat first but she wouldn't open her mouth. The nurse said they will generally just take one or the other for little ones, whichever they can get. She was surprisingly ok with the nasal swab, no tears but very startled looking.

• Advertisement

I think it is more the sort of 2 -older age group....had the 6 year old in for an MMR recently (school closed before the school vaccine team came round)after that I could see there is no way would you be getting a nasal swab into her, or the 4 year old.And they are big enough to really squirm and hurt themselves, so probably better not to try....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Hoping someone can help me with something, we brought our 4 year old back to the creche for July and August, like with most people we were sent texts/emails asking if we wanted it and we said yes. She was on the ecce scheme before and we thought the fees would be just the same, got hit with a bill of 550 for this month for having her in 2 days and 680 for having her in 3 days in July, they said the ecce scheme was closed. They never told us this beforehand, wouldn't have sent her in at all as my wife is working part time and really don't have the money. Pre-covid we were paying 740 for a full week.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

steves2 wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help me with something, we brought our 4 year old back to the creche for July and August, like with most people we were sent texts/emails asking if we wanted it and we said yes. She was on the ecce scheme before and we thought the fees would be just the same, got hit with a bill of 550 for this month for having her in 2 days and 680 for having her in 3 days in July, they said the ecce scheme was closed. They never told us this beforehand, wouldn't have sent her in at all as my wife is working part time and really don't have the money. Pre-covid we were paying 740 for a full week.

The ECCE scheme only runs for the school year, it’s approximately 38 weeks of the year I think so it doesn’t cover the summer months. My kids crèche was only putting the paperwork for ECCE for 2020/2021 year through last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    The ECCE scheme only runs for the school year, it’s approximately 38 weeks of the year I think so it doesn’t cover the summer months. My kids crèche was only putting the paperwork for ECCE for 2020/2021 year through last week.

Our creche originally took the ecce payment they get for the year from the full time fees they charge for the year, then divided it by 12 to get a price for every month of the year until end of August so that the price would be the same for each month. I've emailed them anyway to clarify.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our creche originally took the ecce payment they get for the year from the full time fees they charge for the year, then divided it by 12 to get a price for every month of the year until end of August so that the price would be the same for each month. I've emailed them anyway to clarify.

Ours have done the same

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Ah in that case it’s probably just better to ask. Hopefully they've just forgotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

While that would have worked in normal years, the ecce payment stopped in March when the creches shut so it means they didn't get anything for March, April, May or June. It would then have an impact on the fees as it couldn't be annualised correctly. It might just be that it's an anomaly for July & August until the new ecce year starts in September & then they will go back to the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Full ECCE funding is 245.10 per month from Sept-June. It is not granted in July and August.

Just for information if anyone else wondering, 2 year old tested today and it was nasal swab only. Was hoping it would be throat but it wasn’t. She was shocked initially but cried when she realized what was going on. Not something I’d like to have to bring her for too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Just for information if anyone else wondering, 2 year old tested today and it was nasal swab only. Was hoping it would be throat but it wasn’t. She was shocked initially but cried when she realized what was going on. Not something I’d like to have to bring her for too often.
    My two year had to get tested and it was throat swab only. This was for a procedure though not due to symptoms. Might depend on who is doing the test.

Advertisement