Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lift, Clean and REPLACE qualifying competions

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't getting a **** lie in a bunker part of the danger of playing a shot that can go into the bunker? Fair enough, it's crap when you end up somewhere that hasn't been raked, but if you plug a shot in a bunker, you shouldn't be able to just pick it up, rake out the plug, and then get a nice easy lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah. Rainy weather turns sand into concrete. And it's a bit much to ask greenkeeping staff to run around and rake all the bunkers on a course every time it rains. Would never end. But it's an interesting development along with the 'other tee boxes' point. The other point about embedded balls is well made. I often see that listed as a local rule when it's actually in the rules of golf and doesn't need to be doubled down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

We are quite happy with the winter rake and place bunker ruling in Moate now in it's 2nd year.

We are a 'golf club' not just a golf course. We depend on a lot of volunteerism from committed members to keep the course as well as we do with a very small core of greenkeeping staff.

When you think about it you are placing everywhere else so why not the bunkers. At this time of the year it's no massive advantage and no one is forcing anyone to follow it but you have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Our club did away with placing in the rough this winter with "lift clean and drop" in operation.The winning scores have dropped dramatically from last winter

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Our club did away with placing in the rough this winter with "lift clean and drop" in operation.The winning scores have dropped dramatically from last winter
    Drop or replace? Because one's qualifying and the other is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

When you think about it you are placing everywhere else so why not the bunkers. At this time of the year it's no massive advantage and no one is forcing anyone to follow it but you have the option.

Not sure if you have other hazards, (red stakes, yellow stakes) on the course, but do you allow placing in those areas as well?

Just wondering as I am also always in 2 minds with bunkers, they are a hazard and with new rulings for grounding club in other areas I thought maybe not raking bunker but allowing grounding of club may be possible alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Drop or replace? Because one's qualifying and the other is not.

I'm 100% sure Drop is in my post

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Notice there all scores must be on a players handicap record even if not qualifying.
    What about 14 hole comps or whatever your club does? We never sign in for them. Should we?

Actually we also have 18 hole comps on sundays and they are not signed in either

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Seve OB wrote: »
    Notice there all scores must be on a players handicap record even if not qualifying.
    What about 14 hole comps or whatever your club does? We never sign in for them. Should we?

Actually we also have 18 hole comps on sundays and they are not signed in either
    We would have all our 9,13 hole comps recorded on our master scoreboard and club handicap master.

Seve OB wrote: »

They probably should be. If they're NQ, that should be noted as well. A lot of short course comps can't be qualifying anyway, unless they're nine hole competitions on a rated nine hole 'course'. By rated, I mean having had an SSS applied by the GUI. I would assume the same will happen under the WHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They probably should be. If they're NQ, that should be noted as well. A lot of short course comps can't be qualifying anyway, unless they're nine hole competitions on a rated nine hole 'course'. By rated, I mean having had an SSS applied by the GUI. I would assume the same will happen under the WHS.

yea i am aware of the 9 hole comps. we have a card and use them in the summer. actually, we also have 9 hole comps running now, but not using the "replace" option so non qualifying
    must say it to the guys in pro shop they we really should be using computer

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Webbs wrote: »
    Not sure if you have other hazards, (red stakes, yellow stakes) on the course, but do you allow placing in those areas as well?

Just wondering as I am also always in 2 minds with bunkers, they are a hazard and with new rulings for grounding club in other areas I thought maybe not raking bunker but allowing grounding of club may be possible alternative

We have other 'penalty areas' where placing is not allowed.

Advertisement