Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

retalivity wrote: »
    Yup, here it is

493111.jpg

Tell them to go FCUK off I have no tv in my house only moved into new build I have two projectors and cant wait for them to knock on the door. If that letter had said NO evidence of a tv set it would have been great,fcukers hardly had a drone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

NIMAN wrote: »
    They will have to live within their means, like the rest of us.

But will they be able to do it. Dee has some tough decisions to make over the coming months.

Dee needs a reality check and including her own salary,time for new talent that will cost half what they are paying out, sick of the repeats,the self promos and the same guests time and time again,it needs a full revamp end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

retalivity wrote: »
    Yup, here it is

I keep getting the same type of letter a year after I signed the declaration that I had no TV.

All those letters go in the bin now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Montrose holiday camp needs to be sold off

Drowning in debt and sitting on a site like that

In the real world receivers would be appointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

If they won't reduce wages and outgoings then they must sell donnybrook and move out to a n industrial unit somewhere its the only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"Evidence" of a television could be a Dish or Aerial.

Contact them and tell them to go fúck themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Montrose holiday camp needs to be sold off

Drowning in debt and sitting on a site like that

In the real world receivers would be appointed

I'd say if one of those consultants went in and asked everyone what they did and how much they were paid, there could be massive savings made.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Loblox

My pitch: Survivor: RTE.

Take RTE's talents and set them loose on a deserted island off the west coast with limited food/comforts but large quantities of weapons. Live cast the next few weeks. Get a decent vo to wax philosophical and a drone to showcase the natural beauty of the country as they tear each other apart. The last survivor gets their own show. The others get a Christian burial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'd say if one of those consultants went in and asked everyone what they did and how much they were paid, there could be massive savings made.

“Sorry can you repeat that please

You get how much for doing that”?

The two suits look at each other and shake their heads in bewilderment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bigroad wrote: »
    If they won't reduce wages and outgoings then they must sell donnybrook and move out to a n industrial unit somewhere its the only way.

I can't see how that would be a solution to their problems.
    Montrose is already set up with all the facilities needed to broadcast TV and Radio.
    It would cost another fortune to convert an industrial unit.
    Besides if the root causes of their problems are not addressed any money made from such a move would be spent in short order.
    What then? Move into some farmers barn in Meath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

elperello wrote: »
    I can't see how that would be a solution to their problems.
    Montrose is already set up with all the facilities needed to broadcast TV and Radio.
    It would cost another fortune to convert an industrial unit.
    Besides if the root causes of their problems are not addressed any money made from such a move would be spent in short order.
    What then? Move into some farmers barn in Meath?

One of the excuses for a central location for rte was that stars wouldn't travel to the burbs
    Cue name the stars on rte, Irish populus doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,434 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

GMSA wrote: »

It's about as believable as someone playing for Shamrock Rovers saying he turned down an offer from Barcelona because he prefers the Irish summers.

He's making it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That same interview is trotted out every time he has a new book out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

He is nothing but a chancer telling lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nowhere outside of Dublin would hire him. His whole shtick is colloquial rambling.
    "Get up the yard Manhattan, how's the childer? Just having me sup and a bite of gur cake". Yeah, sure.....

The same crap was spouted back in the day. Gerry Ryan, Pat Kenny and Gaybo would leave us etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I think we enhance lives

He thinks wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

You can say the same for every public service ran in this country.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Marty Bird wrote: »
    You can say the same for every public service ran in this country.

Lots of credit there for Consultants.

Consultants just make recommendations and charge money for it, you'd need consultants to monitor the consultants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,725 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thursday night. 9pm

Finding Joy is on.

First a Brexit deal announced, then Finding Joy.

What a night, what a time to be alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just watched the promo for the Late Late Show when the news had the ad break. Tubridy said that he has Kiefer Sutherland, Andrea Corr & Jack Whitehall as guests for tomorrow night. Who would be up to see that tomorrow? Also would these interviews for tomorrow night be shown live? I suppose Kiefer Sutherland's interview could be pre-recorded. Although am I open to correction on that.

Most likely pre recorded on Tuesday in front of RTÉ staff, no one important in the world of show biz would be in Ireland on a Friday night!!

I see they felt the need to fly David McCullough over to Brussels to present his bit of Prime Time from there.

Cos the piece doesn't have the same meaning if he is in the studio.

When something like this happens, does it mean that there is a team of Rte staff flown out with him with cameras, sound gear etc, or do they hire local people out there to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,434 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see they felt the need to fly David McCullough over to Brussels to present his bit of Prime Time from there.

Or the need to fly over all those over to Japan to just cover Ireland's 5 Rugby World Cup games, they should have just ditched coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When something like this happens, does it mean that there is a team of Rte staff flown out with him with cameras, sound gear etc, or do they hire local people out there to do it?

Switch on your TV.
    He is delivering in spades now.

Networks usually have a man/woman in certain hot spots. These are contractors, generally on skype. But I suppose money is no object for RTE.

There is a team stationed in Brussels. Tony Connolly plus whatever crew he needs, camera, sound, engineer and perhaps 2-3 producers?

The obvious thing to do would be to send David alone and link up with the existing Brussels team, but being RTÉ I suspect he flew over with a posse of at least 5 or 6, and all stayed in a nice hotel that evening before flying back this morning.

There is a team stationed in Brussels. Tony Connolly plus whatever crew he needs, camera, sound, engineer and perhaps 2-3 producers?

Tony is the producer.

Camera / Sound / Engineer would be the one person.

He very rarely does outside broadcasts, a room rented in a TV station with a Satellite uplink to RTE is where he does most his reports from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

4 pundits and a presenter in the studio for the Rugby. Michael Lynagh flown in, flights, hotels etc paid for. Jamie Heaslip flown out to Japan, flights, hotels paid for.

I thought they had money problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

4 pundits and a presenter in the studio for the Rugby. Michael Lynagh flown in, flights, hotels etc paid for. Jamie Heaslip flown out to Japan, flights, hotels paid for.

I thought they had money problems?

This is WHY they have money problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

This is WHY they have money problems!

You'd think they'd bring in a financial consultant at this point... where's NAMA when you need em?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Pat Kenny is a far superior broadcaster to Joe Duffy and would be earning much less than Duffy I'd imagine at Newstalk.

There is absolutely no chance Duffy would be hired by anyone else for more money.

The RTE top brass swallowing nonsense like this is another reason they are in financial trouble. And if they cannot find someone to replace a guy who answers a phone on air, there is something badly wrong. This is not a skilled job despite what RTE defenders here and elsewhere would argue.

Pat Kenny is a far superior broadcaster to Joe Duffy and would be earning much less than Duffy I'd imagine at Newstalk.

Doubtful. Pat is doing his job in Newstalk, he brought in enough viewers, he wasn't taking a pay cut in RTÉ. He's a good broadcaster but he is also a smart business man, he got more than enough in that Newstalk Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There is absolutely no chance Duffy would be hired by anyone else for more money.

The RTE top brass swallowing nonsense like this is another reason they are in financial trouble. And if they cannot find someone to replace a guy who answers a phone on air, again there is something badly wrong. This is not a skilled job despite what RTE defenders here and elsewhere would argue.

answering a phone in such a manner that brings in listeners and add revenue most certainly is a skill, whether one rates an individual presenter or not.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The RTE top brass swallowing nonsense like this is another reason they are in financial trouble. And if they cannot find someone to replace a guy who answers a phone on air, again there is something badly wrong. This is not a skilled job despite what RTE defenders here and elsewhere would argue.

It's often representation. The lad who represents the like of Lottie Ryan might cause issues with other 'talent' if others he represents don't get a look in.
    The place is rampant with back scratching.
    Remember when A.K.T., (Twink's theater company) got the LLS deal for appearing on the Toy Show and that, because, well Twink set it up? Giving Billie Barry the elbow. Then when A.K.T. went to the wall Billie Barry was brought back. This is all tax payer money they play with.

I very much doubt it, also if Kenny was still on RTE you would cutting his throat.

answering a phone in such a manner that brings in listeners and add revenue most certainly is a skill, whether one rates an individual presenter or not.

So does the Liveline listenership drop dramatically when Joe's replacement is on air?

The program is not about Joe. Joe is a generic presenter at best who could be replaced by any number of people. The format of the program is set in stone at this point.

And several other RTE radio shows are the same.

Boggles wrote: »
    I very much doubt it, also if Kenny was still on RTE you would cutting his throat.

Absolutely not, he was by far and away RTE's best broadcaster.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not, he was by far and away RTE's best broadcaster.

Yeah right.

He was universally lampooned when he was picking up nearly a million euro off RTE, once he left he suddenly because Irelands best journalist.

With a couple of simple tweaks and cutbacks, RTE could be back in profit. Every company has to do this. Try to balance the books and live within their means.
    But RTE prefer to go for the easy route, ask for a licence fee increase which will unquestionably be used to fund higher wages, more nepotism and poor decisions.

Yeah right.

He was universally lampooned when he was picking up nearly a million euro off RTE, once he left he suddenly because Irelands best journalist.

He was overpaid, I don't argue with that.

The point is he is a far better broadcaster than Duffy, no-one can seriously argue with that. Duffy is paid far in excess of his talents as a broadcaster.

With a couple of simple tweaks and cutbacks, RTE could be back in profit. Every company has to do this. Try to balance the books and live within their means.
    But RTE prefer to go for the easy route, ask for a licence fee increase which will unquestionably be used to fund higher wages, more nepotism and poor decisions.

This is the problem they don't seem to want to do any tweeks or cut backs. It seems that they've decided that its completely up to the government.

In terms of the personalities there was/is no reason to let them move on. Even if Pat got more than he did from RTÉ going to Newstalk, his departure really didn't cause RTÉ any problems (2FM problems existed before this).

RTÉ had no cause to head hunt D'Arcy, they could have reduced their top ten starts by an extra 200,000 had they not done so, and as I have said any gain he made for RTÉ Radio was completely over shadowed by his losses at RTÉ TV.

And not to repeat what I have said before :-

1. RTÉ now pay out ~5m to 2fm from the licence fee, when before it got nothing
    2. RTÉ now pay out ~5m to Corp HQ from the licence fee rather than examining how they can bring those costs down, when before it got nothing
    3. RTÉ ringfenced funding to Imported Programming when they cut all other funding (spending on average 23m per year)

Had they considered cuts in the above areas they may well have brokeneven, but personally I'd have been happy if they'd put that money into Children's and Drama productions.

He was overpaid, I don't argue with that.

The point is he is a far better broadcaster than Duffy, no-one can seriously argue with that. Duffy is paid far in excess of his talents as a broadcaster.

Say what you want about PK, but he is in a different league to JD.

Pat is really intelligent. He knows his politics, can hold complex debates with high powered people.

JD is only good at chatting nonsense to old folk on his radio show and asking very average questions. He would be severely out of his depth if he had to hold a topical debate on a serious issue such as Brexit, economics, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One thing JD is good at is if there is a whiff of a death or serious illness he won't let it go even if the other person doesn't want to talk about it

In fact even if there is no mention he delves deeper about the callers health

Gutter drenching sensationalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

fritzelly wrote: »
    One thing JD is good at is if there is a whiff of a death or serious illness he won't let it go even if the other person doesn't want to talk about it

What a load of bollocks

You don't ring up Liveline if you don't want to talk about it .

Say what you want about PK, but he is in a different league to JD.

:confused:

They are completely different types of shows, neither could do what the other do.

:confused:

They are completely different types of shows, neither could do what the other do.

They were being compared .... hence why I commented.

My point also highlighted that PK is presenting a programme that requires a lot more intelligence. Anyone could do what Duffy does, lets be honest.

He is incredibly well paid for what he does. PK is overpaid too imho, but he has a much harder job.

They were being compared .... hence why I commented.

My point also highlighted that PK is presenting a programme that requires a lot more intelligence. Anyone could do what Duffy does, lets be honest.

He is incredibly well paid for what he does. PK is overpaid too imho, but he has a much harder job.

I like Pat but has proved beyond doubt he can't do the light stuff.

I like Pat but has proved beyond doubt he can't do the light stuff.

I'd agree, but the light stuff is easily done.
    It shouldn't require a massive wage the likes of D'arcy and Duffy are getting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement