Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Rage incidents. Any experiences?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Witnessed a big argument between a van and a bicycle once. Very unsavoury scenes

I believe the cyclist banged his fist off the sidedoor of the van and the two occupants got out, smacked him, and threw his bike into the river.

I caught a guy on a bicycle on Aston Quay (Dublin, 'in town' :P ) who had just robbed a girls mobile phone.

Beat the crap out of him, silly fella assaulted me when I caught him.. Then I threw his bike into the Liffey :pac:

I had to walk across the road to do it, so I'll count it as a road rage incident :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I was driving a truck several years ago, stopped at a junction behind an L driver. I'm a patient sort the moron behind wasn't. The L driver was very hesitant at pulling out but finally did but it was too late for me to edge out. A truck can't go 0 to 60 in 9 seconds. Through all this the moron behind is sitting on the horn, so I put on the brake get out of the cab with the keys and walk back to the lad behind. Knocked on his window and informed him that I can't get a break in traffic that will let me in but if he thinks he can do better to go ahead and try. I offered him the keys but he declined and apologized. Being 6'2" and wearing my favourite muscle enhancing t shirt probably helped .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where and when did your incident happen please?

I don't have an 'incident', sorry.

But Rusty Cole posted about a promising boxer who was knocked down and killed by a cyclist. It reminded me of a friend from my teen years who was also a promising boxer, he was knocked down by a cyclist and died of head injuries. I was wondering if it was the same lad.
    It was this case, your boxer friend that I was referring to. These cases are very rare in Ireland and rare in the UK. I was wondering if your case was one of the ones I've already heard of. That's why I asked about where and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

seen 2 lads pull over beside the off ramp of the N4 beside woodies in lucan having a fist fight in the first lane of the N4 one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It was this case, your boxer friend that I was referring to. These cases are very rare in Ireland and rare in the UK. I was wondering if your case was one of the ones I've already heard of. That's why I asked about where and when.

It was a very long time ago, and yes thankfully they're rare cases.

There are idiots on bicycles, motorbikes, cars, vans, trucks, buses etc etc.

Car drivers think its only cyclists who constantly brake traffic lights, but in my experience car drivers do it in equal amounts too. Esp at the larger junctions before I proceed off from a green light I've to wait for a number of car's running the red before its safe for me to proceed.

Then there are the mobile phone users.. These cretins leave me flabbergasted, like why in the name of God would you not only risk the lives of everyone around you but your own too.

When I ride my motorbike on the M50 to work I've tried to keep count of the number of people browing social media sites whilst driving. I've lost count every time, its an impossible task. These pricks bring out the tinker in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was a very long time ago, and yes thankfully they're rare cases.

There are idiots on bicycles, motorbikes, cars, vans, trucks, buses etc etc.

Car drivers think its only cyclists who constantly brake traffic lights, but in my experience car drivers do it in equal amounts too. Esp at the larger junctions before I proceed off from a green light I've to wait for a number of car's running the red before its safe for me to proceed.

Then there are the mobile phone users.. These cretins leave me flabbergasted, like why in the name of God would you not only risk the lives of everyone around you but your own too.

When I ride my motorbike on the M50 to work I've tried to keep count of the number of people browing social media sites whilst driving. I've lost count every time, its an impossible task. These pricks bring out the tinker in me.
    Idiots on all modes for sure, though not all modes of idiots routinely kill and maim others.

I share your concerns about the epidemic of mobile phone abuse. Irish drivers came out 2nd worst in Europe for mobile phone abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I still love this video :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2008ish.

When the m50 toll bridge was just about still in existence I cut up a horse lorry to skip him as we came out of the toll.

It was a kinda 50/50 manoeuvre. No need for it but gained me nothing in that old carpark.

He drove clean into the back of me and laughed.
    I was unimpressed and then he jumped out roaring and shouting.

I also jumped out, not roaring but not happy at fairly minor damage to my pride and joy. Problem was we were blocking the whole M50. A van of builders in lane beside me stopped to laugh at us pair of fools roaring.

Another fella beside jumped out to calm all down.

I realised quickly this was all very stupid. Number of stud farm he worked for on the front of his truck. Other lad who jumped out gave me business card as witness.

His employer settled up after.

Nobody's greatest hour.

(Love all stories where other guy backs down cus you're John Rambo. Unlikely really. Pretty sizeable myself and not an outcome I'd expect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I cut out in front of someone at a mini roundabout, there was a lorry parked blocking my view from the right and I didn't see him till the last minute. Still it was completely my fault though, I stopped, waved apologetically and he went through. He kept beeping at me and we ended up side by side in lanes at the next roundabout. I could sense him looking at me and he wouldn't stop beeping. I turned and smiled at him and gave him the finger, yes, childish I know, but he was totally over reacting. At this point I saw it was an elderly man and he went nuts inside the car, shaking his fist at me and shouting. When I moved onto the roundabout even though I couldn't stop laughing I was a little afraid he was going to follow me:(
    I was a passenger in my daughter's car and she entered a roundabout just before the car coming from the right but in no way cutting it up. Another elderly man again, he followed us into Tesco and started shouting out of his window at my daughter telling her she needed to go back to driver's school.
    I will call someone every name under the sun, unheard in the car, if they do something stupid or blast the horn if someone does something
    extremely dangerous. Short of actually colliding with another car, I can't see the point in getting so wound up, not good for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

2008ish.

When the m50 toll bridge was just about still in existence I cut up a horse lorry to skip him as we came out of the toll.

It was a kinda 50/50 manoeuvre. No need for it but gained me nothing in that old carpark.

He drove clean into the back of me and laughed.
    I was unimpressed and then he jumped out roaring and shouting.

I also jumped out, not roaring but not happy at fairly minor damage to my pride and joy. Problem was we were blocking the whole M50. A van of builders in lane beside me stopped to laugh at us pair of fools roaring.

Another fella beside jumped out to calm all down.

I realised quickly this was all very stupid. Number of stud farm he worked for on the front of his truck. Other lad who jumped out gave me business card as witness.

His employer settled up after.

Nobody's greatest hour.

(Love all stories where other guy backs down cus you're John Rambo. Unlikely really. Pretty sizeable myself and not an outcome I'd expect)

Plenty John rambos in this thread, In their minds anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I cut out in front of someone at a mini roundabout, there was a lorry parked blocking my view from the right and I didn't see him till the last minute. Still it was completely my fault though, I stopped, waved apologetically and he went through. He kept beeping at me and we ended up side by side in lanes at the next roundabout. I could sense him looking at me and he wouldn't stop beeping. I turned and smiled at him and gave him the finger, yes, childish I know, but he was totally over reacting. At this point I saw it was an elderly man and he went nuts inside the car, shaking his fist at me and shouting. When I moved onto the roundabout even though I couldn't stop laughing I was a little afraid he was going to follow me:(
    I was a passenger in my daughter's car and she entered a roundabout just before the car coming from the right but in no way cutting it up. Another elderly man again, he followed us into Tesco and started shouting out of his window at my daughter telling her she needed to go back to driver's school.
    I will call someone every name under the sun, unheard in the car, if they do something stupid or blast the horn if someone does something
    extremely dangerous. Short of actually colliding with another car, I can't see the point in getting so wound up, not good for anyone.

But you are supposed to give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Two, one somewhat funnier.

Back about 20 years ago, before the M50 Southern Cross section opened, it was common enough to use the mountain roads to get from Blackrock to Tallaght via Whitechurch, Rockbrook etc. If any of you know the hairpin turn where Tibradden Road meets Rockbrook village you'll know it needs a very wide swing even by a small car to negotiate it. This particular time I was the third car in a queue to make a left turn around the hairpin, except the Fiesta in pole position hadnt left enough space to give himself the swing around the hairpin and was making a balls of the turn. The second car was a BMW 3er and the fella was getting mad impatient with Mr Bean in the Fiesta. So Bimmer decides to floor it and rip around the outside of the Ford to try and handbrake turn the hairpin. Mad stuff in any event. So, the Fiesta sees him try this and gets indignant and gets around the turn as the Bimmer pulls alongside him and the two of them race side by side to be first to get to the Mount Venus turn. Bear in mind the Bimmer is on the wrong side of the road now, so when the Fiesta gets a better road position the Bimmer simply rams him into the stone wall at the junction and all hell breaks loose. I was next man behind these lunatics and it took me and about 3 other passing motorists to separate them till the 5-0 arrived. Ive never seen such red mist lunacy before or since.

Second one, briefly, last year I was in Bath, England on my hols. I was leaving the Waitrose underground carpark in the town centre and was second at the barrier behind a couple in a 1 series BMW (coincidence? I doubt it.) For whatever reason, their carpark ticket wouldnt allow them exit (i suspect they hadnt bothered validating it) and the guy answering the 'press for help' button wouldnt lift the barrier for them until they showed proof of payment. The woman of the couple was driving and i could see her bloke losing his shyt in the passenger seat. Next thing he jumps out of the car, runs around the back of it and grabs the pneumatic barrier and reefs it up in a rage worthy of the Hulk to let the wife drive on through. Except, there was no room between the car and the barrier unit, so she drove over both his feet and sent him spinning onto the ground clutching both his shoes. My missus and I quite literally never stopped laughing until we got to Cornwall! Im still sorry i hadnt a dashcam.

Thankfully I havent become embroiled in road rage myself (much) but you do see some crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A lot of angry people in this thread. Glad I have my camera recording at all times (and you wouldn't even know you were being filmed as the camera is built into the glasses) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    But you are supposed to give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

Yes, I know that, but the car wasn't already on roundabout, it was approaching the roundabout, maybe I should have explained that a bit better! Totally unwarranted behaviour from some old fella begrudging a young woman a nice sporty car maybe? :)

Advertisement