Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Ignore list? How is it?

Options

Comments

I can see this thread taking a dark and seedy turn down the lane of "personal grievances".

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm entirely capable of ignoring shít without the help of technology. I'm not so sensitive that I need to be screened from differing opinions lest I implode in a fit of pique.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can see this thread taking a dark and seedy turn down the lane of "personal grievances".

dark and seedy, sounds like things are getting better :pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Growing rapidly with every person who makes a comment that I've seen others banned for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Unless I have missed it somewhere, boards is missing a league table of posters with the most ignores.

Is there one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had to check but they're all banned except one. That one posted three times and hasn't since. I'd just assumed it was a rereg . To be fair, they probably were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Grayson wrote: »
    I had to check but they're all banned except one. That one posted three times and hasn't since. I'd just assumed it was a rereg . To be fair, they probably were

Most ignored posters or posters who ignore the most people?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Most ignored posters or posters who ignore the most people?

I meant my own ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

I've been playing alt-right bingo and anyone that gets me a BINGO gets on the ignore list.

Except for that one poster who commented about crypto islamofascists, which I thought was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Unless I have missed it somewhere, boards is missing a league table of posters with the most ignores.

Is there one?

You'd be there....or thereabouts I'd say.... think the anti poppy brigade might be H-blocking you!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Growing rapidly with every person who makes a comment that I've seen others banned for.
    Sounds like <snip>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

There is accusing people of trolling simply because they have a contrarian opinion, and then there is saying people who use the ignore function cannot handle different opinions to theirs. The second one is becoming the new first one imo.

I don't use the ignore function here, but people don't always object to posts/posters simply because they have different opinions to them! The way that line keeps being trotted out is pretty dishonest.

It's how they express those opinions, how they behave. E.g. if they cannot post without throwing snide digs at people or even blatant insults, or whatabouting/deflecting, putting them on ignore is not down to them having opinions you don't agree with. *They* are the ones who cannot handle opposing opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

AND ANOTHER THING

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Just one :D

I don't have anyone on ignore. Of course I'll roll my eyes at the odd post but I'm always curious to read what other people have to say. Even the long essay style posts sometimes gets my attention. I really love trying to figure people out so those who most of you can't stand, I find fascinating. This place is like a really large scale psychology research centre :D

Candie wrote: »
    I've two notorious 'groomers' on ignore, and two I'll probably put on ignore in due course but I want to see what they come up with next. One is a particularly hate-filled character, the other a new incarnation of an sad oddball. Its hard to look away sometimes.

I managed to accidentally delete some friends a while ago, I hope they haven't noticed :)

What do you mean by "groomers"? People who pm in a predatory fashion? Like someone who sends pm's to most people to see who bites?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

An Ignore List?! On Boards?! I don't think I knew there was such a thing.

Buttt how would it work?!? Like, if somebody quoted somebody else in their own post, if the quoted part of the post was just left out / blank / null or whatever would that render the quoting function /purpose in-valid and pointless.

I have to say, there is one person, - I've no idea if they're young or old, but I can NEVER make head nor tail of their blocks of texts or what the heck they are talking about!! And like that's coming from me who regularly writes Essay-style long-winded drawn-out posts, so I would have a good tolerance for others doing the same! It's just one person that comes to mind that writes in blocks of words. I don't know if it's a grammar thing, or traditional old Irish conversational wording or what.... But I just can not for the life of me, make out what they're trying to say!!

• Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

If someone has a long ignore list it's a sign that they have issues, theu gravitate towards hostility.

An Ignore List?! On Boards?! I don't think I knew there was such a thing.

Buttt how would it work?!? Like, if somebody quoted somebody in their own post, if the quoted part of the post was just left out / blank / null or whatever would that render the quoting function /purpose in-valid and pointless.

If the person on ignore is quoted you can still see their post as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I use it all the time. It's very therapeutic, especially when you come across a post from some ar*ehole who you know is not open to reason or argument. I'll more than likely click on their posts anyway when I come across them, but the fact that I've got them on ignore is just a reminder not to engage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't have anyone on ignore. Seems a bit much. Most of the truly obnoxious are easily avoided or don't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AllForIt wrote: »
    Bet you log out to see their posts :D

No need; there is a "view post " option...;)

Lillybloom wrote: »
    If someone has a long ignore list it's a sign that they have issues, theu gravitate towards hostility.

Or are being attacked for their views... which are blameless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Just one and ironically she has posted right above me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Benildus wrote: »

We should form a club. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Benildus wrote: »

Careful now she will set her Amish friends on you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have now put everyone in this thread on my ignore list so now I am the new OP :D

takes 2 to do that and I simply add to ignore and walk away. makes for less reading

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

One person on mine, Pretzelfuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

2 people on mine. Not because I dislike them or their views but because its the same thing repeated.

Its the same thing repeated.

Its the same thing repeated.

Advertisement