Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It was the presiding officer, I waited outside for the gentleman and told him he didn't need a polling card. But he was already on the phone to someone about it.

If you don’t mind me asking, what polling station? I’d really like to phone the local franchise office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Voting register should be linked to PPS Numbers anyway rather than a register. Or at least we should move that way. It couldn't be that hard to manage.
    It would also weed out the "home to vote" brigade who have not been based here for more than 18 months and are not entitled to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

jasonb wrote: »
    Polling stations should stay open until 10, and once you're in the door you're allowed to vote, even if there's a queue inside the room and it's after 10 before you get to cast the actual vote...

Fairly sure you can't vote once it strikes ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s 2017

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

You must be at least 18 years of age on 15 February, the day the Register comes into force. You must also have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year before the Register comes into force.

Interesting... There's a line further down that page that says...

'f you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address.'

and an Irish Times article (https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/illegal-emigrant-voting-how-hometovote-could-backfire-1.3385321) says this...

'Unlike more than 130 countries worldwide, Ireland has no system for citizens abroad to have a say in either elections or referendums. Under the 1992 Electoral Act, Irish citizens retain their right to vote for just 18 months after moving abroad, as long as they intend to return to Ireland within that timeframe.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The easiest, most certain Yes I've ever given.

I'm so emotional all day, I just want it to be over and get the results now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

So spoil your vote.

Why? Why bother travelling to spoil your vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

YES!!

A very emotional vote, walking my two daughters and my bump into that room along with a very supportive man who I’m proud to call my husband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm surprised people think it's an *easier* yes than the previous referendum but it's a yes all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I'm surprised people think it's an *easier* yes than the previous referendum but it's a yes all the same.

I certainly don't. It was a much harder decision to make than the marriage referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Voted yes, but any poll on boards is going to be heavily skewed for yes.

It's going to be very close, and fear that No will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Massive Yes from me!

Few people here in my constituency who didn't engage over the weeks out of the woodwork on social media last night with vote No or very bizarre neutral posts so they'd be No too you'd reckon.

Very fearful for my constituency but hope Dublin wins big to drag us up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

My guess is 58 Yes 42 No.

But it could be 60+ Yes too.

The undecided folks cannot have been too impressed with the No debaters in the final week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Would it be a big deal to listen to the "check that you are on the register" ads which were running for months?
    It is a bit rich blaming the council - if the person doesn't live there, what is the point in posting a letter to them?
    We have a country of people who seem to think it is up to the council to ask them if they want to vote. Get up off their a$$ and go find out.

I appreciate that, but many people vote at their parents house as that is a constant if they move around the country and if they have done that for years might not feel checking the register is even necessary if they voted or did jury duty recently. You have to fill out a form to transfer vote.

From an administration point just close the loop and send out a deregistraion postcard if you are going to bother removing people. At least it is clear they need to reregister elsewhere if they want to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

padd b1975 wrote: »

You can, once you're in you're in. Doors close at 10 that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So spoil your vote.

Why? Why bother travelling to spoil your vote?
    Because you get to excercise your democratic right which is not afforded to may people around the world and was hard fought for.

You also get to show the establishment that you do not agree with either situations and in future votes they may offer an alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Your Face wrote: »
    Usually the people that say that are the ones that care the most.

I really really really dont care what anyone else thinks about how I voted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Your Face wrote: »
    Like someone who voted 'No' is going to risk saying so here.

Why not? it's a secret poll.

I voted Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I really really really dont care what anyone else thinks about how I voted.

Watch out for the peer police..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Because you get to excercise your democratic right which is not afforded to may people around the world and was hard fought for.

You also get to show the establishment that you do not agree with either situations and in future votes they may offer an alternative

I agree with this apart from one thing... Spoiling your vote doesn't necessarily show that you don't agree with the options. If you spoil your vote it's put in with those votes from people who didn't know what they were doing/couldn't use a pen.

I'd love to see a 'None of the Above' option in all votes, that way the opinion of someone who doesn't agree with the options given would still be counted.

You are spectacularly missing the point. I said about not feeling strong enough to vote one over the other. People shouldn't be forced to vote if they've considered the options and don't have a preference.

What do you want written on it "I found both campaigns to have salient points and will defer to the rest of the voting population"?

padd b1975 wrote: »

Its like when Jim White shows Big Ben on transfer deadline day. No voting any later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I am not so sure. I would be surprised if there is more than 1 No constituency.

I’d predict Donegal, Mayo, Roscommon and the border counties to have No majorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

This votes seems rather brexit-ish to me.

In the sense that we are being a straight yes or no vote.

I'm very much open to correction but why wasnt the legislation drafted before the vote

We could then see what we are actually voting for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

jasonb wrote: »
    It’s home to vote crowd I have an issue with. If they’ve being living outside Ireland before the 1st September then they are not eligible to vote

I'm pretty certain you can vote if you left Ireland within the last 18 months. So that's November 25th 2016, not 1st September 2017...
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    just out of my polling station were someone working there told a person they can't vote without a polling card

Not true of course, you don't need a polling card, you can use ID instead.
    It’s 2017

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

You must be at least 18 years of age on 15 February, the day the Register comes into force. You must also have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year before the Register comes into force.
    Clearly you don't understand what ordinarily resident means in legal terms.

• Advertisement

Its like when Jim White shows Big Ben on transfer deadline day. No voting any later.

Do you've any reason for saying this.

I was presiding officer for a few years, always doors closed but anyone already in got to make their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I voted yes, my husband and I were first in our polling station. My husband voted yes as well. I just want the result now. So nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

tenor.gif?itemid=4478367

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

This poll will bear no relation to the actual margain of victory for the yes side

• Advertisement

Do you've any reason for saying this.

I was presiding officer for a few years, always doors closed but anyone already in got to make their vote.

Turn on the tongue-in-cheek detection system champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

erica74 wrote: »
    My husband voted yes as well.

Thats what they all say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Brego888 wrote: »
    This poll will bear no relation to the actual margain of victory for the yes side

Agreed.

Thats what they all say.

He was getting nothing tonight if he voted no :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It’s 2017

Earning ordinary residence on September 1st last year pushes it back to 2016. Ordinary residence doesn’t mean you have to be in the country on September 1st.

I'm very much open to correction but why wasnt the legislation drafted before the vote

That's a referendum, yes or no.

Also, you did see what we are voting on. They published the new amendment that will be put in the constitution. That's what we are voting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Not voting is something to be embarrassed about, not gloated about. Plenty of people in the world would love to have a free vote on anything.

Regardless of your view on the matter, yay or nay, get out and vote.

Thats the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read, nobody has to have an opinion because you say say they do

Someone has the right not to vote if they wish. I can bet you any amount of money there's a huge chunk of liberals and conservatives who ran around screaming and parading regards SSM, yet completely ignored the children's referendum that was in close proximity. Indeed, there was no #hometovote for that one...

Ironic, given they are our most vulnerable members of society.

It'd be handy but at the same time legislation is a different issue. What is being voted on is just the constitutional block, any subsequent legislation could be changed whenever. Then down the line that could be changed. So really it is just a case of if people think it should be a general ban that the Dail can't remove.

If the legislation was relaxed or hardened down the line after being shown before the vote it could cause mayhem for whoever is in power. The legislation could be a nightmare to fix if there is an issue down the line. This way they can apply and vote on whatever needs to be implemented, presumably based on public attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It couldn't be any less Brexitish. We've been told what the proposed legislation will include. There's bound to be changes but we were giving a very good overview of what's to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

....... wrote: »
    My polling station was busy at 7am this morning, full of Yes voters.

I had to queue to vote and I voted yes.

I didnt mind a bit of a wait, sure havent I been waiting 35 years already?

Out of curiosity I’m just wondering how you knew they were yes voters??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whatever the outcome is at least it will be a democratic vote by the people so there shouldn't be any complaints i intend to vote yes myself but if no wins i would put my hands up and accept such a democratic outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

would have just led to....
    "Look at them, wasting €10M having the legislation all ready to go tomorrow before we've even voted on it. Shove it down their presumptive throats for assuming this was a done deal".

Anyway, obviously a Yes from me.
    7.20am vote in Mulhuddart, slightly busier than normal (I saw one other voter, its usually zero at this hour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

We are voting for this clause to be removed from the constitution and a clause entered saying it will be dealt with by legislation instead.

The draft legislation has been prepared after going through citizens assembly and a committee. It can still be amended .

It was published in March on health website
    You Can download and read if you want
    Or read any of the summaries published

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/watch-government-publishes-bill-containing-exact-proposed-wording-of-abortion-referendum-831699.html

This was done so we would know what we are voting on. I'm not sure how it could be clearer? The confusion seems deliberate from the no side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Beautiful morning for a stroll down memory lane to my old primary school to help put something else down memory lane.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My daughter arrived from Tokyo this morning, voted Yes and is back at the airport ready to fly back.

My brother and his wife arrive back later from Israel to vote Yes.

Husbag's family back from the UK to vote Yes.

The effort and sacrifice people are making to be here is humbling.

eviltwin wrote: »
    My daughter arrived from Tokyo this morning, voted Yes and is back at the airport ready to fly back.

How long are they away on holidays?

If they don't live here they shouldn't be voting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What did the Husbag do to earn the nickname :o

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭cagefactor

I find this sorta mad to be honest. what a waste of money. If they aren't living here then what's it got to do with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bleary wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it could be clearer? The confusion seems deliberate from the no side

It totally is. Utter lies in last minute print columns from their Shills even today.

Disingenuous duplicity abounds.

Their stunt this last week of calling for a different solution to deal only with the hard cases of rape, incest, FFA, serious illness in the mother, after refusing to engage on even that for 35 ****ing years was as breathtaking as it was desperate.

Advertisement