Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

elefant wrote: »
    Let's see if Roscommon/South Leitrim can pull off an unlikely double.

There's gonna be a lot more than 1 constituency with a majority no this time I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

murpho999 wrote: »
    Big yes from me.

I wonder will we see the usual rural /urban divide on this.

Wonder what Donegal will vote.

Donegal will vote no, I’m sure of it.
    elefant wrote: »
    Let's see if Roscommon/South Leitrim can pull off an unlikely double.

Unlikely? It will be no, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Your Face wrote: »
    Like someone who voted 'No' is going to risk saying so here.

I'm saying it.

I voted NO.

And guess what, I don't give a whiny rats ass what any of you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

I voted Yes.

I am getting adverts on my Facebook page telling me to save the 8th. Is that allowed on voting day? I thought active campaigning had to be stopped at 14:00 the day before a referendum? Note: this isn't an attack on the No side. I also still be asking if it were an ad for the repeal side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What anybody says here doesn't matter.....what they say or do in the polling booth is all that matters.

They mean they don't want the hassle that follows expressing an opinion, pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Plenty of groups out campaigning this morning. Is there not supposed to be a moratorium since 2pm yesterday?

Only for media outlets. Campaigning can go on all day, with the exception of within 50 metres of polling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ted1 wrote: »
    How do you know that they were yes voters ?

Sure what other way would people have voted?! Why people feel the need to say what other people were voting in a polling station is beyond me. A vote is exclusive to an individual and you never know what people actually do when the tick has to be made.

I haven't voted yet but probably will at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CPTM wrote: »
    I voted Yes.

I am getting adverts on my Facebook page telling me to save the 8th. Is that allowed on voting day? I thought active campaigning had to be stopped at 14:00 the day before a referendum? Note: this isn't an attack on the No side. I also still be asking if it were an ad for the repeal side.
    It’s home to vote crowd I have an issue with. If they’ve being living outside Ireland before the 1st September then they are not eligible to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

So you're complaining the register is being kept up to date ? :rolleyes:

Would it be a big deal to send a notification of removal to that address to allow people to reregister at a new one? Instead of finding out when polling card didn’t arrive? People are not going to automatically check the register if after so many years and active they would assume they are still on it!

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »
    I voted Yes.

I'm getting the yes ones on a few sites. Haven't seen a no but I'm sure they are around, thought that was banned. If so should tell google/FB they'll be fined but I doubt that'd happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Usually the people that say that are the ones that care the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm saying it.

I voted NO.

I respect your no vote, which I'm sure you arrived at for perfectly valid reasons.

I cancelled it with a yes. Whole houseful of yes votes arrived down together on the way to work this morning.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    There's gonna be a lot more than 1 constituency with a majority no this time I feel.

There will absolutely be more than one No constituency, and I say that a die in the wool Yes voter. Just don't ask me which ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

superman28 wrote: »
    Amazingly I can't vote.. I was deleted from the Fingal Register. (their words) just found out yesterday.

Apparently, my parents filled out a form stating that its just the 2 of them living at their address (true) last year. So my name was taken off the Fingal register,, I was not notified of this... , Only when my voting card didn't arrive at my parents house did I check,, quickly tried to sort it out,, but was too late as cards arrived after cut off point of May 8th... lady said in Fingal Co Co there are loads of similar cases.. as you can imagine f**king fuming..

I was told the same with the marriage equality one, but found out earlier, so registered again with my apartment. Got a letter saying I was already registered and low and behold a card arrived at my parents.

The register is a joke, just out of my polling station were someone working there told a person they can't vote without a polling card

Not voting is something to be embarrassed about, not gloated about. Plenty of people in the world would love to have a free vote on anything.

Regardless of your view on the matter, yay or nay, get out and vote.
    Why? If there's a run of 1-100 on how you feel about an issue with 50 being absolutely on the fence and you're on 52 it can make sense to not vote. A couple of people at 52 voting canels out a couple of people at 1 voting even though they themselves wouldn't want it so.

I've never missed voting myself but if people are honest enough that they don't know or don't feel strongly one way or the other I have no issue with people not voting.

I'm getting the yes ones on a few sites. Haven't seen a no but I'm sure they are around, thought that was banned. If so should tell google/FB they'll be fined but I doubt that'd happen.

The Journal did a piece on that yesterday. Long story short, there are still ways for online ads to appear. And online ads aren't subject to the moratorium; that only applies to media outlets like papers, TV, or radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They've no problem doing it on all other forums of media. I think Waterford Whispers had a good article addressing your concerns:

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

NuMarvel wrote: »
    There will absolutely be more than one No constituency, and I say that a die in the wool Yes voter. Just don't ask me which ones :)

I am not so sure. I would be surprised if there is more than 1 No constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

QueenRizla wrote: »
    Would it be a big deal to send a notification of removal to that address to allow people to reregister at a new one? Instead of finding out when polling card didn’t arrive? People are not going to automatically check the register if after so many years and active they would assume they are still on it!

Would it be a big deal to listen to the "check that you are on the register" ads which were running for months?
    It is a bit rich blaming the council - if the person doesn't live there, what is the point in posting a letter to them?
    We have a country of people who seem to think it is up to the council to ask them if they want to vote. Get up off their a$$ and go find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I was told the same with the marriage equality one, but found out earlier, so registered again with my apartment. Got a letter saying I was already registered and low and behold a card arrived at my parents.

The register is a joke, just out of my polling station were someone working there told a person they can't vote without a polling card

PLEASE go back in and tell the presiding officer that's happened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Voted yes. I was surprised how busy it was at my polling station at about quarter past 8 this morning, plenty turning out early and not just the pre-work demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I voted yes this morning.

The desk where you get the voting card though, one of they guys had a copy of the bible, facing out towards voters... thought was a bit strange and possibly not allowed ? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

It’s home to vote crowd I have an issue with. If they’ve being living outside Ireland before the 1st September then they are not eligible to vote

I'm pretty certain you can vote if you left Ireland within the last 18 months. So that's November 25th 2016, not 1st September 2017...
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    just out of my polling station were someone working there told a person they can't vote without a polling card

Not true of course, you don't need a polling card, you can use ID instead.

Why? If there's a run of 1-100 on how you feel about an issue with 50 being absolutely on the fence and you're on 52 it can make sense to not vote. A couple of people at 52 voting canels out a couple of people at 1 voting even though they themselves wouldn't want it so.

I've never missed voting myself but if people are honest enough that they don't know or don't feel strongly one way or the other I have no issue with people not voting.

There's no point in voting for something you don't feel strongly one way or the other.

What's worse is voting for someone else if you don't really care.

I am not so sure. I would be surprised if there is more than 1 No constituency.

I can't see it being just the one, but I will be very glad to be wrong in this.

Jasper79 wrote: »
    I voted yes this morning.

The desk where you get the voting card though, one of they guys had a copy of the bible, facing out towards voters... thought was a bit strange and possibly not allowed ? ...
    It’s very allowed , people without ID use it to swear who they are

There's no point in voting for something you don't feel strongly one way or the other.

What's worse is voting for someone else if you don't really care.
    So spoil your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

It’s very allowed , people without ID use it to swear who they are

ah okay thanks, can't say I'd ever noticed it before .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

endacl wrote: »
    PLEASE go back in and tell the presiding officer that's happened.

It was the presiding officer, I waited outside for the gentleman and told him he didn't need a polling card. But he was already on the phone to someone about it.

Advertisement