Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mid life crisis :(

• 02-09-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

As the title says, i think im having a mid life crisis,i feel like theres nothing to look forward to anymore, everything i would have had on my bucket list has been ticked off and done.In the movies chaps buy pricey sports coupes and rolex watches.Unfortunatly my financial situation won't cover such luxuries.Im only 35,two kids with two women.I did however have the funds to purchase an old moto guzzi california (bike heads will get this) and i spend more time repairing the yoke than I get out on the road.I feel like im turning into me granda despite my tender years.Ah users,throw some ideas at me to feel young again,there's life in the old dog yet.Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's too late for you.

Devote time and money to your children.

Hope they put you in the expensive snazzy nursing home, not the one where you make clothes for Nike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Time to compile bucket list Mk II....

Or alternatively get an inappropriately young girlfriend, wear skinny jeans and get saving for the hair implants...

Maybe he wants to feel someone young. (but of legal age)

I wouldn't say I had a mid life crisis, but had 20 years of pubs and parties. Had a baby and, at 40, reassessed things. I just...changed. Started getting healthy, kicked the pub scene, made a lot of new friends. It certainly wasn't expensive, saving a lot by avoiding the nights of dropping a hundred on rounds. Runners are a lot cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You need to sit on that crotch rocket and eat some road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Easy for you to say, you're got a cave with a fancy car and a butler to iron yer cape when you wanna head out incognito to clean the streets of villains,i dont have such luxury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Be thankful and happy that you've got two beautiful children and try and be in their lives as much as you can. They grow quickly and you won't get this time back again. Maybe save a bit more and take a Harley for a trip on Route 66. You are way too young to feel this old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Support a League of Ireland club. After a year of travelling round the country at weekends watching games, your old life will be a lot more attractive again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

35 and a bucket list? You've made yourself old. Stop doing what you've always done. If you keep looking where you've always been you can never find what's in the place you haven't looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Im only 35

Only 35? That's ancient :p:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fukcing Nora (that's not a suggestion!), 35? Mid life crisis? Buy a guitar and an amp, can you play? Doesn't matter! Take up market gardening and join your local GIY group, your knees will hate you but it's life affirming and you'll make some new friends. Listen to your teenage music on CD (have you got a CD player?)

Fleawuss wrote: »
    35 and a bucket list? You've made yourself old. Stop doing what you've always done. If you keep looking where you've always been you can never find what's in the place you haven't looked.

Could be a very nice bucket though, all shiny and sliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hop on the bike and never go back.
    That's what you really want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

have you ever been to Tory Island? Take a trip out for a couple of nights, it will change your perspective of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

FFS...at 35 you haven't even peaked you unhappy bastard.

I'm 44 and only getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

FFS...at 35 you haven't even peaked you unhappy bastard.

I'm 44 and only getting going.

Exactly, I'm 36 and I'm only getting my 0.5 wind going, nevermind the first or second winds

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,490 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oops, thought this thread was about Mod life crisis.

Mid-life mod crisis OTOH...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I saw that show 'Older than ireland' during the week. It is a 90 minute documentary interviewing some of ireland centenarians. They would piss their arse laughing at the thought of a 35 year old having a mid life crisis.
    So dont be worrying about it. When you are physically to decrepit to do the things you want to do then come back to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Skinny Jeans...

You'll be crying out for the pipe and slippers after spending the day squashed into those trendy threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I've always thought of the bucket list phenomenon as appealing to people with an unhealthy existential preoccupation with death rather than being focused on living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭zSparc

As the title says, i think im having a mid life crisis,i feel like theres nothing to look forward to anymore, everything i would have had on my bucket list has been ticked off and done.In the movies chaps buy pricey sports coupes and rolex watches.Unfortunatly my financial situation won't cover such luxuries.Im only 35,two kids with two women.I did however have the funds to purchase an old moto guzzi california (bike heads will get this) and i spend more time repairing the yoke than I get out on the road.I feel like im turning into me granda despite my tender years.Ah users,throw some ideas at me to feel young again,there's life in the old dog yet.Suggestions?

"Roethke referred to getting old as wearing the leaden weight of what I did not do. Just as your youth is not a prize for your efforts, my agedness is not a penalty for my faults."

Do whatever. The clock is ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if its possible to complete a bucket list by 35 it must have been the worlds ****iest bucket list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd 35 old?

Go and live on a remote island somewhere and see how much better your life is.

That, or get another woman and see how miserable your life could be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Your Face wrote: »
    Hop on the bike and never go back.
    That's what you really want to do.

Exactly. Op, you need to grow your hair long, buy a leather vest, and sit on a crotch rocket. You and the road for a bit. You'll be amazed how better you'll feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Have you thought about starting a cult?

The adoration of the weak-willed does wonders for your sense of self satisfaction.

You'll also have someone to mind the kids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Stop whining ffs. I just turned 36 and still feel like I'm 23. Although I heard kids and wives age the bejesus out of you but you made your own bed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Have you thought about starting a cult?

The adoration of the weak-willed does wonders for your sense of self satisfaction.

You'll also have someone to mind the kids
    Or
    instead of starting a cult OP maybe its a good old dose of Schadenfreude you need. Just derive satisfaction from reading about weak willed peoples misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Winterlong wrote: »
    I saw that show 'Older than ireland' during the week. It is a 90 minute documentary interviewing some of ireland centenarians. They would piss their arse laughing at the thought of a 35 year old having a mid life crisis.
    So dont be worrying about it. When you are physically to decrepit to do the things you want to do then come back to us.

I watched that also and it confirmed my fear of old age..great programme but frightening in some respects...

OP I'd love to be 35 again,look after your kids first and then do whatever the hell makes you happy.I also think that your "bucket" must have been leaking..how have you gone through your list already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Or
    instead of starting a cult OP maybe its a good old dose of Schadenfreude you need. Just derive satisfaction from reading about weak willed peoples misfortune.

Wasn't that covered when someone suggest following football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can highly recommend a motorbike.

Advertisement