Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Not sure about the kilkee and liscannor situation think the quota is two intermeadite teams per amalgamation ,

Kildysart and coolmeen played two lets say heavy handed games against each other in the group stage , the first was called off after one player picked up a serious injury accidently the replayed game was alot more full on and kildysart in perticular were not happy with some of the treatment there younger players receved , they have canceled there amalgamation with coolmeen at underage leval as a result also i am led to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

The fixtures for the Munster Minor Football Championship have been announced for 2019.

Clare along with Waterford, Tipperary and Limerick will take part in a round robin format, with the top two of this group taking on each other in the final, with the winners of that playing Cork and Kerry in Phase Two, with the top two in that group will qualify for the Munster Final. Clare will play on 3 successive Wednesdays in April of 2019. Here are the fixtures below.

Limerick - Away - 10th April
    Tipp - Home - 17th April
    Waterford - Away- 24th April

Also confirmation from Clare bord na nOg Iomaint that "underage hurling ages will remain unchanged in 2019 in Clare"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not sure about the kilkee and liscannor situation think the quota is two intermeadite teams per amalgamation ,

Kildysart and coolmeen played two lets say heavy handed games against each other in the group stage , the first was called off after one player picked up a serious injury accidently the replayed game was alot more full on and kildysart in perticular were not happy with some of the treatment there younger players receved , they have canceled there amalgamation with coolmeen at underage leval as a result also i am led to believe

Heard earlier Kilkee didn't want to join amalgamation. Surprised as think they were looking to join up previous years. Nearly harder for Kilkee lads to get off the team than on it as have very little coming through at the moment. Club really took eye off the ball at juvenile last 10/15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

Two Clare lads in the AFL Combine that is on today namely Cillian Rouine and Sean O Donoghue. The first I assume is the minor centre back from this year. Is the other the Yank from Cooraclare? Maybe there is another young fella of the same name? 19 in all in the combine good chance one of them will be picked up.

Two Clare lads in the AFL Combine that is on today namely Cillian Rouine and Sean O Donoghue. The first I assume is the minor centre back from this year. Is the other the Yank from Cooraclare? Maybe there is another young fella of the same name? 19 in all in the combine good chance one of them will be picked up.

You are correct regarding who they are. I really hope that both men will stay playing for the Banner County footballers. Two outstanding talents and will be a huge shame if one or both lads were to go to the AFL. However they along with their families must make that choice if the opportunity arises.

On a separate note, do you agree or disagree on the merits of these combines or trials taking place, the day before many inter-county teams start training for the 2019 season tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

You are correct regarding who they are. I really hope that both men will stay playing for the Banner County footballers. Two outstanding talents and will be a huge shame if one or both lads were to go to the AFL. However they along with their families must make that choice if the opportunity arises.

On a separate note, do you agree or disagree on the merits of these combines or trials taking place, the day before many inter-county teams start training for the 2019 season tomorrow?

Don't see when else would be a better time to hold them actually bearing in mind the 12 months of the year there is something on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gael85 wrote: »
    Heard earlier Kilkee didn't want to join amalgamation. Surprised as think they were looking to join up previous years. Nearly harder for Kilkee lads to get off the team than on it as have very little coming through at the moment. Club really took eye off the ball at juvenile last 10/15 years.

Kilkee doesn't have the population at underage, the town is almost like a shanty town with all the empty holiday homes, Kilkee has a lot deeper problems past the GAA unfortuntely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't see when else would be a better time to hold them actually bearing in mind the 12 months of the year there is something on.

If they were to play them at the height of the season it would be worse, this is end of season for both AFL and GAA so it suits both

Clareman wrote: »
    Kilkee doesn't have the population at underage, the town is almost like a shanty town with all the empty holiday homes, Kilkee has a lot deeper problems past the GAA unfortuntely

yeah exactly the population has dropped significantly of late it, the parrish has a population of around 900 now , most of the town is holiday homes owned by people that visit during the summer now

900 people for a parish is very low , probably one of the lowest in west clare anyway

they are putting in the work now to rebuild the club which might take some time , so maybe passing on the offer to go senior with the amalgamation might not be so bad in the long run

very surprised to hear sean o'donahue is involved in this , he is most likely going to head back home (chicago) when his studies are finished next year or at most the year after

he probably is the best in the county after brennan and was a huge loss this past year in the championship for clare , but i am surprised to here he is interested in the combine to australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

very surprised to hear sean o'donahue is involved in this , he is most likely going to head back home (chicago) when his studies are finished next year or at most the year after

he probably is the best in the county after brennan and was a huge loss this past year in the championship for clare , but i am surprised to here he is interested in the combine to australia

The 2 year international rookie deal all the Irish lads sign is worth around €55k in direct salary (over 2 years that's €110k) Also the club covers accommodation, a car and a fairly decent number of flights back and forth, which means expenses are minimal (clothes and food). Even the lads who go for 2 years and don't "make it" should be coming home with a serious chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I can see the appeal for Young lads, namely all the above and to be in a 100% pure professional setup, the experience and knowledge you would gain is immense, it could also help any of these lads down the road if they were to consider management

The Clare senior hurlers will take on their Wexford counterparts this Saturday, in a hurling challenge match in Tulla, with a midday throw-in. This is a match played in the memory of Jack Lynch, thus the name "the Jack Lynch Memorial Friendly", is in aid of Slainte An Chlair, Clare cancer support, which is based in Kilnamona and Raheen. Best of luck to all involved in what I'm sure will be a hugely beneficial day for those close to Jack.

On the football side, does anyone know of any new faces that Colm Collins has called up to his provisional Clare senior football squad for the upcoming season ahead?

Finally I would like to send my thoughts and prayers to the Sixmilebridge community, who are going through a most difficult time at present. Annette Fawl who was last seen after mass on last Saturday evening, did not turn up for work yesterday evening and the alarm was subsequently raised. Gardai are seriously concerned for her well-being and safety. Lets hope for a happy outcome in this case. Christmas brings out the best of people and I know a lot of people around Sixmilebridge and its surrounding areas have helped in the search to find Annette. Please God we will get positive news in the coming hours and that Annette will be found safe and well.

Unfortunately some devastating news coming out of Sixmilebridge this afternoon. A body has been found in the search for missing woman Annette Fawl. Formal identification of the body hasn't been confirmed as of yet. My thoughts go out to all of the community there and I'm sure the whole of Clare will rally behind the people of Sixmilebridge in this saddest of times.

FT Jack Lynch Memorial Hurling Challenge Match played today in Tulla

Clare 1-19 Wexford 2-13

Newmarket's Colin Guilfoyle with the Clare goal.

The 2018/19 Munster Post Primary Schools Senior A Football 1/4 final draw (Corn Ui Mhuiri) has been made and a very tough draw awaits St Flannans College in the new year. The Ennis school will take on defending Corn Ui Mhuiri champions Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne of Dingle, with a place in the semi-final up for grabs. If they manage to come through this tough match, they will play the winners of Colaiste Cholim Ballincollig or St Francis Rochestown in the last 4.

Rian Considine, Diarmuid Ryan, Aidan McCarthy and Keith Hogan are just some of the new names that are currently training with the Clare senior hurling panel at the moment. The panel for the league campaign, that will start at the end of January with a tough away match against Tipperary, won't be finalized until after the Munster League campaign. Inagh Kilnamona goalkeeper Pa Kelly has retired from inter-county hurling and Conor McGrath is taking a break from the game.

In football the Miltown contingent of Eoin Cleary, Kieren Malone and Gordon Kelly are taking a well deserved break after their endeavours with their club, that brought them into their first senior provincial club final in their history and their second Jack Daly title in 3 years. Does anyone else know of any new additions to Colm Collins' senior football panel for the upcoming season, in particular any emerging talent from the good minor football teams in the last few years or so?

Finally the Clare county board convention will take place this weekend with a good few motions set for debate and discussion. Don't expect too many of the fireworks that may take place in Cork in their own CB convention this weekend, regarding the fiasco that is Pairc Ui Chaoimh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Rian Considine, Diarmuid Ryan, Aidan McCarthy and Keith Hogan are just some of the new names that are currently training with the Clare senior hurling panel at the moment. The panel for the league campaign, that will start at the end of January with a tough away match against Tipperary, won't be finalized until after the Munster League campaign. Inagh Kilnamona goalkeeper Pa Kelly has retired from inter-county hurling and Conor McGrath is taking a break from the game.

In football the Miltown contingent of Eoin Cleary, Kieren Malone and Gordon Kelly are taking a well deserved break after their endeavours with their club, that brought them into their first senior provincial club final in their history and their second Jack Daly title in 3 years. Does anyone else know of any new additions to Colm Collins' senior football panel for the upcoming season, in particular any emerging talent from the good minor football teams in the last few years or so?

Finally the Clare county board convention will take place this weekend with a good few motions set for debate and discussion. Don't expect too many of the fireworks that may take place in Cork in their own CB convention this weekend, regarding the fiasco that is Pairc Ui Chaoimh!

I think it's a good idea for Conor McGrath to take a break from hurling for a while. He has a dip in form the last two years and hasn't looked himself. The thing about McGrath we sometimes forget is that he broke through onto the Clare team very young, I think at about 19/20. He has started and played ever year, as well as both codes for Cratloe who are usually as the business ends of both county championships. You also have to factor in a couple of very serious injuries including a very bad hip injury, the type that ended Honan's career a while back. He has given huge service to both club and county it's crazy to think his is only about 27 years old. I think it's very hard for amateurs to go through all that along with the commitment that's required nowadays. It would be only human for a guy to just want to have a bit of down time for a while to a have couple of drinks with friends or go on a trip somewhere.

I'd love to see him back to his late 2013 and 2014 form, he is one of the best and stylish forwards we have produced since the turn of the century.

Cooraclare's PJ McGuane will remain on as vice-chairman of the Clare CB executive for another term. He defeated Cratloe's Jack Chaplin for the role at last night's Clare CB convention. Joe Cooney who is currently the Clare CB chairman says that during the period that he will contest for next year's local elections, he will hand over the reins to Mr. McGuane for that period, that's if he takes up the offer.

Once again the old guard shows no sign of relinquishing their roles in the hierarchy of Clare CB anytime soon. Any one looking for a revolution and major reform in the way the county board conducts its business, will be most disappointed with the executive staying put for another 12 months at least. At least the coffers are in a good place with a surplus of around 154,000 euros declared.

Cooraclare's PJ McGuane will remain on as vice-chairman of the Clare CB executive for another term. He defeated Cratloe's Jack Chaplin for the role at last night's Clare CB convention. Joe Cooney who is currently the Clare CB chairman says that during the period that he will contest for next year's local elections, he will hand over the reins to Mr. McGuane for that period, that's if he takes up the offer.

Once again the old guard shows no sign of relinquishing their roles in the hierarchy of Clare CB anytime soon. Any one looking for a revolution and major reform in the way the county board conducts its business, will be most disappointed with the executive staying put for another 12 months at least. At least the coffers are in a good place with a surplus of around 154,000 euros declared.

christ what age is he , he must be well in his 70s , he is a very intelligent man to be fair but he is a crook , i have heard some stories about the man down through the years , his ballybrack jibe towards teams planning on given a walk over next year sumed him up in a recent county board meeting

derrick lynch has often referred him as a legend of clare football lets just say i have my doubts about him

• Advertisement

The good news from my own point of view coming out of the Clare CB county convention is that John Carmody will not be the Clare U20 hurling manager for 2019 as had been widely speculated. It will be Sean Doyle who was outgoing Clare minor hurling manager for the last 2 years. To say that I have no time for Carmody would be an understatement. Doyle did reasonably well in his stint as minor manager and will be a huge improvement on Carmody. Whether that will be enough to defeat the winners of Limerick or Cork in the Munster semi-final remains to be seen, but we will be competitive unlike in 2017 and '18.

The good news from my own point of view coming out of the Clare CB county convention is that John Carmody will not be the Clare U20 hurling manager for 2019 as had been widely speculated. It will be Sean Doyle who was outgoing Clare minor hurling manager for the last 2 years. To say that I have no time for Carmody would be an understatement. Doyle did reasonably well in his stint as minor manager and will be a huge improvement on Carmody. Whether that will be enough to defeat the winners of Limerick or Cork in the Munster semi-final remains to be seen, but we will be competitive unlike in 2017 and '18.

100% agree with you on this , i was very disappointed with carmody as manager myself , doyle is an excellent coach huge step up in class in my opinion from carmody , plus it will allow him to work through the players that are over age from last years minors

any idea why it took so long to announce the management ?

100% agree with you on this , i was very disappointed with carmody as manager myself , doyle is an excellent coach huge step up in class in my opinion from carmody , plus it will allow him to work through the players that are over age from last years minors

any idea why it took so long to announce the management ?

Carmody wanted the U20 gig and according to what I heard in October, there was going to be no change in management albeit in this new U20 grade for 2019 as in the previous 2 years at U21 level. I thought that Carmody was the only candidate up for nomination in October's Clare CB meeting from what I was told.

However what happened since then is unclear. Regardless the right decision has been made for Carmody to depart. Sean Doyle will have the likes of Rian Considine, Aidan McCarthy, Diarmuid Ryan and Gary Cooney who are all on the Clare senior hurling panel at his disposal for 2019. A makings of a very good U20 team that's for sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

letowski wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea for Conor McGrath to take a break from hurling for a while. He has a dip in form the last two years and hasn't looked himself. The thing about McGrath we sometimes forget is that he broke through onto the Clare team very young, I think at about 19/20. He has started and played ever year, as well as both codes for Cratloe who are usually as the business ends of both county championships. You also have to factor in a couple of very serious injuries including a very bad hip injury, the type that ended Honan's career a while back. He has given huge service to both club and county it's crazy to think his is only about 27 years old. I think it's very hard for amateurs to go through all that along with the commitment that's required nowadays. It would be only human for a guy to just want to have a bit of down time for a while to a have couple of drinks with friends or go on a trip somewhere.

I'd love to see him back to his late 2013 and 2014 form, he is one of the best and stylish forwards we have produced since the turn of the century.
    Taking a break...I don't think we will see him back in the Clare jersey again. He has given all awful lot to this county and owes us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Keano wrote: »
    Taking a break...I don't think we will see him back in the Clare jersey again. He has given all awful lot to this county and owes us nothing.

I think you will see him again in May. Sensible to give time to recover from what ever injury was holding him back this. He doesn't need league matches to prove himself. McGrath is gifted he will be a huge loss if he doesn't come back. That kind of talent is rare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Figerty wrote: »
    I think you will see him again in May. Sensible to give time to recover from what ever injury was holding him back this. He doesn't need league matches to prove himself. McGrath is gifted he will be a huge loss if he doesn't come back. That kind of talent is rare.
    100% agree and would love to see him back but I just don't see it happening.

Gearoid Cahill - Corofin, Dale Masterson - St Breckans and Davy O'Halloran - Eire Og Inis are just some of the new additions on Colm Collins Clare senior football panel for 2019. Those 3 players played against Limerick in a challenge match last weekend in Cratloe, a game that saw Clare win by 2 points. Gary Brennan got 2-6 playing full-forward at that game. Does anyone know any players who has left the Clare senior football panel from last season? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. They were due to play University of Limerick during the week also I believe.

Unfortunately Eoin Cleary has had an operation in his hand (I think), which will mean that he will miss the start of the National League campaign for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I read Davys book over the last couple of days. It's a good read.
    https://www.easons.com/at-all-costs-davy-fitzgerald-9780717179602

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Gearoid Cahill - Corofin, Dale Masterson - St Breckans and Davy O'Halloran - Eire Og Inis are just some of the new additions on Colm Collins Clare senior football panel for 2019. Those 3 players played against Limerick in a challenge match last weekend in Cratloe, a game that saw Clare win by 2 points. Gary Brennan got 2-6 playing full-forward at that game. Does anyone know any players who has left the Clare senior football panel from last season? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. They were due to play University of Limerick during the week also I believe.

Unfortunately Eoin Cleary has had an operation in his hand (I think), which will mean that he will miss the start of the National League campaign for 2019.

Is Dean Ryan back? Is Keelan Sexton missing for a few games too?

• Advertisement

the idea of playing hurling this time of the year is almost laughable , the hurlers play cork later today in the park surly this game could have been played next week and let lads enjoy the christmas properly

not getting on the managements back as they have done a pretty good job in the last two years , but no championship player should be playing tomorrow , there were enough lads putting there hands up in the club championship to give the likes of fitzgearld, galvin malone the day off , malone had a long year with the ennistymon footballers , galvin is a player that should be rested until the middle of the league , however it is great to see a number of faces back on the panel along with young adian mccarthy , diarmuid ryan , rian considine , gary cooney , hopefully mikey o'niell takes his chance , although a swap with shane golden is surly going to take place at some stage between the two

. Keith Hogan (Clooney-Quin)

2. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    29. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    4. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)

10. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    18. Colm Galvin (Clonlara) - Captain
    7. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)

8. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    28. Michael O'Malley (Kilmaley)

5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    11. Niall Deasy (Ballyea)
    17. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)

13. Gary Cooney (O'Callaghan's Mills)
    12. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)
    22. Michael O'Neill (Kilmaley)

SUBSTITUTES:
    16. Andrew Fahy (Whitegate)
    14. Colin Guilfoyle (Newmarket On Fergus)
    9. David Conroy (St Joseph's Doora Barefield)
    19. Brian Corry (Sixmilebridge)
    3. David McInerney (Tulla)
    27. Conor Cleary (St Josephs Miltown)
    15. Cathal McInerney (Cratloe)
    23. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
    24. Rian Considine (Cratloe)
    26. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    6. Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement