Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

I reckon they could run dr crokes very close in the final tighten up a bit in defense Curtin has to play sweeper the next day.......I seen them against cratloe and looked very sharp didn't see the final great to see seanie malone been brought on same wit Graham Kelly it's just a shame about his temperament as it seems to let him down a lot.....fair play miltown supporters they came out in force and hopefully 2 weeks time they'll be Munster club champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Dickie9 wrote: »
    I reckon they could run dr crokes very close in the final tighten up a bit in defense Curtin has to play sweeper the next day.......I seen them against cratloe and looked very sharp didn't see the final great to see seanie malone been brought on same wit Graham Kelly it's just a shame about his temperament as it seems to let him down a lot.....fair play miltown supporters they came out in force and hopefully 2 weeks time they'll be Munster club champions

Miltown's strength has always been their defense. When they won Jack Daly in 2015, that win was built on an outstanding defensive foundation. In other words they were very hard to break down. However their attack lacked a punch and when they went down to Clonmel to play the Commercials that year, they were well and truly hammered in the semi-final. I think they only scored 3 points that day.

But whats changed from 3 years ago? Cormac Murray, Oisin Looney and Conor Cleary have since come in and have made valuable contributions with their work both on and off the ball. Eoin Cleary has matured into the one of the best forwards in the country. Plus the impact of Donie Buckley who has come in now and again to help with the coaching of the West Clare men, has made a massive difference also.

Dr Crokes looked irresistible today though. The hope is that Miltown can nullify their attacking threats. How they do that is entirely a matter for management led by Michael Neylon and co. I certainly wouldn't like to be in their shoes having to conduct a plan against the likes of David Shaw, Colm Cooper and co. But for now, tonight is one of celebration for Miltown and as a huge Clare football fan, here's hoping that they can at the very least, give themselves a chance with 10 to 15 minutes to go in 2 weeks time from now. That's all we can hope for that's for sure.

Miltown's strength has always been their defense. When they won Jack Daly in 2015, that win was built on an outstanding defensive foundation. In other words they were very hard to break down. However their attack lacked a punch and when they went down to Clonmel to play the Commercials that year, they were well and truly hammered in the semi-final. I think they only scored 3 points that day.

But whats changed from 3 years ago? Cormac Murray, Oisin Looney and Conor Cleary have since come in and have made valuable contributions with their work both on and off the ball. Eoin Cleary has matured into the one of the best forwards in the country. Plus the impact of Donie Buckley who has come in now and again to help with the coaching of the West Clare men, has made a massive difference also.

Dr Crokes looked irresistible today though. The hope is that Miltown can nullify their attacking threats. How they do that is entirely a matter for management led by Michael Neylon and co. I certainly wouldn't like to be in their shoes having to conduct a plan against the likes of David Shaw, Colm Cooper and co. But for now, tonight is one of celebration for Miltown and as a huge Clare football fan, here's hoping that they can at the very least, give themselves a chance with 10 to 15 minutes to go in 2 weeks time from now. That's all we can hope for that's for sure.

Conor Cleary is some footballer...only he's on the clare hurling team he'd be Deffo called up to the football team....

Serious forwards in clare now u look at e.cleary, k.sexton, d.coughlan, c.murray and gavin cooney from eire og

Conor Cleary is some footballer...only he's on the clare hurling team he'd be Deffo called up to the football team....

Serious forwards in clare now u look at e.cleary, k.sexton, d.coughlan, c.murray and gavin cooney from eire og

Yep Miltowns fitness level way up from 2015 I reckon they could give enuf to Crokes for 50+mins then uve seanie, Graham Kelly to bring on as seen today

I can see a Clare forward line have the following 10-15 for 2019 league and championship:

10. Kieren Malone
    11. Eoin Cleary
    12. Jamie Malone
    13. Dermot Coughlan
    14. Keelan Sexton
    15. Gavin Cooney

That is a very potent attack. Gearoid O'Brien, Conor Finnucane, Eimhin Courtney, Joe McGann and David Tubridy all in reserve on the bench too. All good players. Don't forget the good minor teams we had in 2016-18, so there is a conveyor belt coming through. The appointment of Dermot Coughlan as U-17 manager for the next two years and Seamus Clancy, a Clare legend as U-20 boss can only be good for Clare football.

Of course no better man than Colm Collins to steer the ship to develop these players at senior level. There's lots wrong with Clare football at the moment, which has been well discussed. But at least we have the right men in charge, for these emerging young players to fulfill their potential. That's the hope anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Agree with this post , but we are too Nice of a football team , we play really good attacking minded football , our games against Armagh , offaly and cork in the league were an example of that but the game against kerry was and should be a wake up call

We are very simular to rosscommon in terms of style and attacking nature but we need to start being a bit more like fermanagh against better teams like kerry with an attitude of spoil the game first , score second ,

Agree with this post , but we are too Nice of a football team , we play really good attacking minded football , our games against Armagh , offaly and cork in the league were an example of that but the game against kerry was and should be a wake up call

We are very simular to rosscommon in terms of style and attacking nature but we need to start being a bit more like fermanagh against better teams like kerry with an attitude of spoil the game first , score second ,

caddy16 wrote: »
    I really don't see the issue with what happened in the Kerry final, he told the penalty taker it was the last puck and it was beyond the indicated injury time.

I do agree that he has gone backwards as a referee, he was a very consistent and reffed with common sense.

I like the rugby module of refereing where everyone knows where they stand , it dose not always work that way , the owen farrell tackell last week against south africa is an exemple of tmo gone wrong but to be fair , if the ref says next dead ball it comes across a hell of a lot clearer espically in a county final

In horgans defense he is a much better referee then james mcgrath who spent the month of august crying he didnt get the gig this year

Tipperary have had some excellent referee's down through the years paddy russell and willie barrett spring to mind and both of them probably got unfairly treated at times over marginal dicisons its a thankles job but the gaa are not doing enough the help officals i feel ,

Yep Miltowns fitness level way up from 2015 I reckon they could give enuf to Crokes for 50+mins then uve seanie, Graham Kelly to bring on as seen today

They ran like dogs for months in the cooraclare cross country track owned by joe garry from clare fm i think its a 2k track they would have done some serious amount of laps back there

Crokes are a fine team and had they had Ennistymons goal chances in the county final they would have racked up 4 goals

I feel nemo rangers aside clare football is better then cork football at the moment and they will.do a much better job then what finbars did today but it is a massive ask

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

I was down in Dungarvan and you could not be but impressed with Miltown. Once the Nire missed that early goal chance they controlled the game playing some excellent football in tough conditions with Cormac Murray running riot throughout. The man has some side step. The Nire have reason to be annoyed with the ref but I think the better team won out.

That wasn't Seanie Malone the county player that came on. He is out with a broken foot I believe. He was at the match on crutches. It was the younger Sean Malone that came on and grabbed the second goal.

Against Crokes they will need to hold on to the ball as much as possible which was something they done reasonably well yesterday. They should not fear the Crokes and I'm sure they will embrace this challenge. They are in incredible form since round 1 of the championship with Ennistymon being the closest to them at the final whistle where there was still a 6 point gap. To be in a Munster final with that is incredible and I hope the get the backing of the county on final day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,205 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

St. Josephs are 10/11 + 10 for that match against Crokes. may have a dabble myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

FitzShane wrote: »
    St. Josephs are 10/11 + 10 for that match against Crokes. may have a dabble myself.

That sounds like a mad bet for a football match this time of year, there mightn't be 10 points scored in the match let alone to 1 team

Clareman wrote: »
    FitzShane wrote: »

That sounds like a mad bet for a football match this time of year, there mightn't be 10 points scored in the match let alone to 1 team

Crokes racked up somthing like 5-20 yesterday in heavy ground conditions and wind and rain it is very possible they coud run up a big score again

Was +9 last nite out to +10 now seems a great bet St finbarrs were +6 yesterday against crokes!

Was thinking the handicap line would be at least +5

Crokes racked up somthing like 5-20 yesterday in heavy ground conditions and wind and rain it is very possible they coud run up a big score again

They won't run up quater off that score against Milltown the cork championship must Ave been very bad this year.....st.finbarrs were shocking yesterday and if Milltown had played them they probably would Ave score the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They could run up a big score again but 10 points is a massive amount this time of year, bookies don't often make mistakes but I think that could be 1.

They won't run up quater off that score against Milltown the cork championship must Ave been very bad this year.....st.finbarrs were shocking yesterday and if Milltown had played them they probably would Ave score the same

Reckon dr crokes 2.11 st.josephs miltown 1.09

Hope miltown beat them put thats what I'm predicting so handicap +10 well covered

Result Corn Ui Mhuiri Munster Post-Primary Schools Senior A Football Championship

St Flannans College Ennis 4-12 Colaiste Cholim Ballincollig 0-3

Very impressive stuff from Flannans today. In my opinion they are genuine contenders for the Corn Ui Mhuiri this season. Great work being done on the football side, lead by Gary Brennan and co. In the last academic year 2017/18 season, Flannans competed in both U15 and U16.5 finals, winning the U15 A championship last year in exceptionally impressive style.

The Clare minor A football final between Ennistymon and St Josephs's Doora Barefield, due to have been played tonight in Cooraclare, has been postponed according to Coiste na nOg Peil in Clare. What a total shambles and puts Clare underage football in a very bad light. It was due to have been played a week or two ago. Does anyone know why this match is postponed yet again.

Regardless of the outcome, today is the 16th of November and with this farce, showing no sign of coming to an end any time soon, could this match go ahead in 2019? Finally its the players that people should feel most sorry for. They are U-18's at the end of the day and unfortunately have been let down by our football administrators in the Banner County yet again. Once again Clare football shoots itself in the foot. A massive own goal I think and does nothing to help the perception that Clare football is treated less favourably than their hurling counterparts.

The Clare minor A football final between Ennistymon and St Josephs's Doora Barefield, due to have been played tonight in Cooraclare, has been postponed according to Coiste na nOg Peil in Clare. What a total shambles and puts Clare underage football in a very bad light. It was due to have been played a week or two ago. Does anyone know why this match is postponed yet again.

Regardless of the outcome, today is the 16th of November and with this farce, showing no sign of coming to an end any time soon, could this match go ahead in 2019? Finally its the players that people should feel most sorry for. They are U-18's at the end of the day and unfortunately have been let down by our football administrators in the Banner County yet again. Once again Clare football shoots itself in the foot. A massive own goal I think and does nothing to help the perception that Clare football is treated less favourably than their hurling counterparts.

Both clubs according to Clare FM's Derrick Lynch are eager to play the game tonight. Make of that what you will?

• Advertisement

It seems to be the case that both sides want to play, but basically the board won't let them. What an absolute farce. The whole executive of the board of the Clare Coiste na nog Peil should be relieved of their duties, for not explaining why this minor final is cancelled yet again and their general contempt of underage football in general in Clare.

Completely unacceptable for young lads, their parents and their management and backroom teams having to wait this long and not knowing when this match will eventually go ahead. The repercussions for this must be that people within board level at Coiste na nOg Peil be held accountable, as in my opinion the executive are not fit for purpose to do what is right for Clare underage football. Could Joe Cooney and co. at Clare county board level get involved to solve the impasse? But the big losers are the players and the reputation of Clare football which is receding by the day.

It's a complete shambles at this stage, Barefield and Corofin drew their semi final and were forced to play the replay on a Wednesday evening which meant that both teams were missing lads away for college and Barefield were missing a lad who was playing rugby for Ireland at the time

Clare Minor A Football Final to go ahead tomorrow (18th November) between St Joseph's Doora Barefield and Ennistymon at Cooraclare. Throw-in is at 12:30 pm.

Clareman wrote: »
    It's a complete shambles at this stage, Barefield and Corofin drew their semi final and were forced to play the replay on a Wednesday evening which meant that both teams were missing lads away for college and Barefield were missing a lad who was playing rugby for Ireland at the time

i would place huge blame on derrick lynch , he is that coughlan lad from barefield uncle in law he pressed for the game to be put back to accommodate him in the past

ennistymon are furious with him i am led to believe

i would place huge blame on derrick lynch , he is that coughlan lad from barefield uncle in law he pressed for the game to be put back to accommodate him in the past

ennistymon are furious with him i am led to believe

Are you actually saying that Derrick Lynch from Clare FM Sport is to blame for this shambles, regarding the double postponement of the Clare minor A football final? If what you are saying is true and I certainly take your comments very seriously, then Ennistymon should do some media blackout against Clare FM and Lynch.

If he is putting deliberate pressure on the authorities regarding accommodating this particular player to ensure that he plays against the Ennistymon men, then that's an abuse of power in my opinion on the behalf of Lynch. The North Clare men have every right to feel angry against the Clare FM head of sport, who is set to leave his role in the coming weeks.

Are you actually saying that Derrick Lynch from Clare FM Sport is to blame for this shambles, regarding the double postponement of the Clare minor A football final? If what you are saying is true and I certainly take your comments very seriously, then Ennistymon should do some media blackout against Clare FM and Lynch.

If he is putting deliberate pressure on the authorities regarding accommodating this particular player to ensure that he plays against the Ennistymon men, then that's an abuse of power in my opinion on the behalf of Lynch. The North Clare men have every right to feel angry against the Clare FM head of sport, who is set to leave his role in the coming weeks.

i dont know the full story behind it all i know is , when i asked a few ennistymon people about what was happening regards this game they seemed hostile towards lynch and yes the supporters i was talking to were putting two and two together as to his connection to the doora/barefield rugby player and his clare gaa connections

i dont know if the supporters in question are active members of the club but if true it would be a serious accusation , there is probably nothing in it, just angry club people looking for someone to blame .......i hope anyway .

He looked fair sour when miltown got the jack Daly cup derrick lynch did :)

#whenlovelyoldmiltown was sang ;)

He looked fair sour when miltown got the jack Daly cup derrick lynch did :)

#whenlovelyoldmiltown was sang ;)

big joe put on some performance that day in fairness :D '

i think the anger is based around a doora barefield player who is on the ireland u18 rugby team , D/B had put back a number of games to accommodate the young lad which lead to the championship being put back , and leaving ennistymon in the lurch

i think the anger towards lynch is , someone up in ennistymon thinks he had some in put in it as he is a relative of the player , its most likely all a load of bolix

there was mass confusion on friday if the game was going ahead or not anyway because of some hearing , also heard a rumor that the cooraclare pitch was unplayable

in derrick's defence he didnt know why the game was put back again , yes the whole thing is shambolic but doora/barefield who have a huge panel should never have been aloud to put the games back for just one player

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1063417725710671872

Derrick lynch is a spoofer
    #myownopinion!

• Advertisement

feakle 1:20 Charleville 2:20

Unbelievable comeback by the cork intermediate champions in today's munster final , starting with the aid of a strong wind in the first half the clare side took control of the game early and led by 1-10 to 0-3 just beyond the halfway point of the first half , the ray bane goal on 15 minutes looked like it was all over early on

simulary to the ballyea v st thomas's all ireland semi final of 2016 charleville made a huge comeback after the break , they settled there nervous start to the game in the last ten minutes of the first half and went in 10 points down , 10 minutes into the second half however 10 point lead was down to 5 and it was game on ,

for the next 15 or so minutes it was point for point , with only minutes remaining the score was 1-19 to 0-19 in feakle's favour , but legs started to go charlevile hit the back of the net on the 58 minute and then the 62nd to leave the cork side 3 up instead of what looked like extra time

for feakel it was an excellent effort , oisin donnellan had a fantastic game as did shane mcgrath , but the difference maker was definitely darragh fitzgibbon in the second half , he missed nothing in front of goal and landed a superbe score from play late in the game ,

for feakle its a hard one to take tonight but they will be tough to beat in senior next year and they will be bullish about there senior campaign next year , i have said all year that they are a senior team playing intermediate and showed it today for most of the game as they showed all year

i will be very interested to see how charleville go from here they will surly be one of the favorites to go all the way now especially with probably one of the best players in the country in there ranks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement