Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

policy75 wrote: »
    David tenant in bad samiritan is scary. Very good film
    Saw it a few months back.. two cracking leads in Tennant and Sheehan, but just got really ridiculous towards end... and it wasn't particularly plausible in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

No it’s not. I watched season 4 first. there’s literally one reference to a previous season, the overall arc isn’t really relevant.

It really is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

km79 wrote: »
    It really is

I’m pretty sure plenty of people have watched these series out of order. It got more popular as it went along. Moved channels on the BBC, to the more popular BBC 1, and series 4 got more than twice the viewership of the first series. 10M to 4M in fact.

You no more need to know about series 1 of LOD to understand series 4 then you need to watch murder she wrote in order. There’s a small overall arc about general corruption but the main story on season 4 is about the investigation into the cop played by Thandie Newton.

Anybody who didn’t like series 1 should try series 4. Newton is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

fryup wrote: »
    Narcos is brilliant, absolutely brilliant

hope it gets released to terrestrial telly

Not not we'd call a hidden gem though eh.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its the best show ever!!

Um you know what, um you know what, um you know what, it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No it’s not. I watched season 4 first. there’s literally one reference to a previous season, the overall arc isn’t really relevant.
    I haven't seen LoD.
    But if you watched S4 first, how would you have known what was a reference to previous season?
    Just a thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,738 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With the possible exception of anthology series (although maybe not even them) I don’t know if there’s any TV series* I’d encourage people to watch out of order. I mean, I’d feel a bit peeved if I watched an episode of Brooklyn 99 before a previous one, let alone a multi-series drama :pac:

*(Actually, you can probably skip season 5 of the West Wing except for the Glenn Close episode)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Angela's Christmas is a lovely little thing. About half an hour long, it's about Frank McCourt's mother (Angela) as a child and her little Christmas adventure. Set in Limerick and lovely for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Watched all of season 3 of F is for family on Friday, I think it's the funniest season so far and some brilliant lines in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

With the possible exception of anthology series (although maybe not even them) I don’t know if there’s any TV series* I’d encourage people to watch out of order. I mean, I’d feel a bit peeved if I watched an episode of Brooklyn 99 before a previous one, let alone a multi-series drama :pac:

*(Actually, you can probably skip season 5 of the West Wing except for the Glenn Close episode)

You can also skip most of season 2 of Twin Peaks. Line of Duty would be desperate to watch out of order, the arc is pretty expansive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Watched all of season 3 of F is for family on Friday, I think it's the funniest season so far and some brilliant lines in it

Funniest show on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Our House is an engaging horror film. The kids hooked me in from the very start. A slow burner of a story, but very good nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

but most people outside of netflix'land haven't heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

The Forest. Yes it’s a subtitled french series. But wow. Knocks ‘safe’ out of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

is it a nudey type of thing father?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

is it a nudey type of thing father?

Go find out kiddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

They really are hidden well between the pure dross. That Amazon prime is another "pay and flick through crap endlessly before heading to bed"

Just stand legs akimbo and try to get Newtons Cradle going with your testicles, as entertaining as netflix/prime, you can share the spectacle like an account with friends and family, but it's free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mammajamma wrote: »
    They really are hidden well between the pure dross. That Amazon prime is another "pay and flick through crap endlessly before heading to bed"

Just stand legs akimbo and try to get Newtons Cradle going with your testicles, as entertaining as netflix/prime, you can share the spectacle like an account with friends and family, but it's free!

467412.JPG
    wat.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

****, that's horrifying.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

looks like a new black mirror ep is coming on dec 28th

https://twitter.com/langdonsslut/status/1068262868330651649

• Advertisement

Wolf Creek
    Gangster Land
    Shaun the Sheep Movie

Added today

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Our House is an engaging horror film. The kids hooked me in from the very start. A slow burner of a story, but very good nonetheless.

Thought it was pretty rubbish myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Holy Smackerals! Ash v Evil Dead season 1 has been added.

Also, the Christmas Chronicles is great. Kurt Russell is fantastic as Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Watched it at the weekend with my son.really enjoyed it.....he did too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gave "Bad day for the cut" a go last night. It was alright. Definitely seen better and worse. Passed a bit of time anyway. 6.5/10

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Holy Smackerals! Ash v Evil Dead season 1 has been added.

Nice, huge Evil Dead fan and haven't gotten to watch that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We watched it on Friday and loved it. Highly recommend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

peteeeed wrote: »
    looks like a new black mirror ep is coming on dec 28th

https://twitter.com/langdonsslut/status/1068262868330651649

I assume this is the "interactive" episode. I guess it also means the rest of the season is coming later. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

moby2101 wrote: »
    Rake is Superb... one of the best comedies I’ve seen in years

Thanks for this recommendation, one of the best shows ive found on netfick in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,306 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Be curious to see how rippers do that episode of Black Mirror.
    I'm assuming on netflix it will work like a dvd having interactive sections. So while we only see the episode from the front, multiple parts are sitting there in the backend.
    Then wonder how long it would take to see all options

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nice, huge Evil Dead fan and haven't gotten to watch that yet.

All three seasons of it are well worth a watch, huge fun and a rare case of genuinely feeling of a piece with the preceding material (though due to some sort of legal nonsense with Universal, they couldn't explicitly mention anything from AoD in the first season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Be curious to see how rippers do that episode of Black Mirror.
    I'm assuming on netflix it will work like a dvd having interactive sections. So while we only see the episode from the front, multiple parts are sitting there in the backend.
    Then wonder how long it would take to see all options

There's at least one such episode of Puss in Boots on Netflix that is interactive, might be worth checking that out to get a feel of how it may be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,738 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Minecraft Story Mode was also released finally, which is a fully ‘interactive’ series (port/adaptation of a game, in fact) so another way to test out how Netflix handle branching narratives!

RUSSELL BRAND: RE:BIRTH
    Russell Brand gets loquacious in London as he ruminates on the state of the world and marvels over how his life changed the moment he became a father.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Samsung, Panasonic and LG are not producing enough tv's in order to keep up with me smashing them to pieces when i see Brand on a screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

peteeeed wrote: »
    RUSSELL BRAND: RE:BIRTH
    Russell Brand gets loquacious in London as he ruminates on the state of the world and marvels over how his life changed the moment he became a father.

added today

I thanked your post because I appreciate your posting here every morning. I certainly didn't thank because I appreciate the content. :)

Russel Brand. Euch.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I thanked your post because I appreciate your posting here every morning. I certainly didn't thank because I appreciate the content. :)

Russel Brand. Euch.

yeah i've gone right off him since he became a god going around giving blessings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm confused: I see this is the 'recommendations' thread, yet the most recent content suggested is Russel Brand.

Maybe we should close the thread. It's ruined now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fysh wrote: »
    All three seasons of it are well worth a watch, huge fun and a rare case of genuinely feeling of a piece with the preceding material (though due to some sort of legal nonsense with Universal, they couldn't explicitly mention anything from AoD in the first season).

They've only added season 1 yet, pretty annoying considering the show has been canceled.

• Advertisement

wow a full on brand backlash

ok ok i will recommend bumpin mics with jeff ross & dave attell . 3 eps recorded over a friday , saturday & sunday at the comedy cellar in new york , very funny

and speaking of stand ups netflix will release 47 specials on new years day

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/netflix-47-international-stand-up-comedy-specials-on-new-years-day.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Watched 'February' / 'the blackcoat's daughter' last night by Oz Perkins. Eerie, slowburn horror with great performances from the three leads, especially Kiernan Shilpa and Emma Roberts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hurrache wrote: »
    Have you watched Vikings, if so, how does it compare? I never heard of it before until it started appearing in my recommendations list, possibly because I added Norsemen to my list.

Very late reply here sorry, I haven't seen Vikings so I can't compare.

But I'm now on Season 3 of this and I'm absolutely addicted to it, I'm surprised it doesn't get more love here!
    I get serious Game of Thrones vibes from it, but I actually think The Last Kingdom is superior.
    And I say that as a diehard GoT fan :pac:
    You should give it a watch, you won't be disappointed!

So I got a netflix trial today thinking El Marginal and Anime Nere were on there, but I guess they have been taken off.

Any decent foreign series to recommend? Ive seen the usual suspects such as narcos, suburrah and gomorrah

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So I got a netflix trial today thinking El Marginal and Anime Nere were on there, but I guess they have been taken off.
    El Marginal is there...
    Any decent foreign series to recommend? Ive seen the usual suspects such as narcos, suburrah and gomorrah
    I enjoyed 'Fauda' and 'Dark' recently, both being very different shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

El Marginal is still on it, season 1 and 2. Has anyone seen season 2? What's it like? Really enjoyed season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Just finished watching Happy Valley starring Sarah Lancaster of Corrie fame. She plays a Police woman and a granmother who is out to exact revenge on the man that raped her daughter.Her daughter comittes suicide and Lancaster has to bring up the young boy conceived after the rape. There is another major storyline but I don't want to spoil it for those of you who are going to watch it. I really enjoyed it and I would definitely recommend it. It's a BBC production and has two series of which has six episodes. Sarah Lancaster was excellent in her role as a police woman. I would give it eight out of ten for the storyline and the acting.I don't know how long it has been up but both series 1&2 are up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Last Kingdom is one of the best shows ever. I know it’s quite different but it does remind me of Spartacus which I absolutely loved aswell. The opening and theme tune are very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Wolf Creek is not for the Faint Hearted :eek:

ixoy wrote: »
    El Marginal is there...

I enjoyed 'Fauda' and 'Dark' recently, both being very different shows.

When I search for El Marginal, nothing comes up. I signed up from a location in Greece, Im guessing that's the issue? Don't see any way to change it in the settings.

Edit: spoke to customer service. Netflix Greece is not fun at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

La Mante and La Foret

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement