Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twitter permanently suspends Milo Yiannopoulos over row with 'Ghostbusters' actress

18910111214»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Samaris wrote: »
    Ah okay, I got the impression from the conversation that it didn't tend to ban accounts. Although I suppose banning a famous account is always going to get more publicity than some random bloke.
    Oh they ban like crazy Sam. The vast majority don't kick up a fuss or have the fame profile and media avenues to complain about it. Add in the lines drawn US BS and in an election year where the choice is a warmonger or an orange haired muppet and all bets are off. Never mind the push to open the female market for an old and dead franchise and the almost inevitable pushback and it's easy to reach full retard all over the place.

The other problem can be actors and other "celebs" when set against media whores like Milo Snuffleupagus. They don't stand a chance. Few enough of them have the chops for debate. They get used to yes men, even if they start out bright enough, so tend to live in an ego bubble of crazy proportions. Agent provocateurs like Milo can have them for lunch.

IMH the studio really dropped the ball on that one. They could see the massive online backlash against the flic. Hell they even did reshoots to remark on it(just as thick as it sounds). Yet they pretty much left the actresses to their own devices in the online world.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Milo reminds me of a modern-day Ian Paisley. Gather a band of followers often motivated by hate and stupidity, wind them up, and walk away when the trouble kicks off denying responsibility for any wrongdoing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He started out OK, quite reserved and balanced, but when he got popular in the US he realised like others before him that you can't throw in enough obvious or go enough slapstick for the cross eyed and the hard of thinking in that culture. What we see now is that media invention, the act that gets the bums on paying seats. The reserved and balanced doesn't earn nearly so well.

We see that increasingly at play in media in general throughout the world. Tabloid sells and crazy gets clicks. The British Daily Mail is the most visited news website on the planet last time I looked. Yep. Think on that and shudder. And start building shelters and hoarding food. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

My main issue is not what he said but how he had the ability to direct his followers simply by re tweeting them. That provokes harassment.
    I am not sure if he did orchestrate a campaign (and it may very well have been his intention) but it seems it was just taken for granted that he did.

Although, taking the tweet OP posted here, it does seem like there was a pair of them in it.

Samaris wrote: »
    I don't know all of it, but as I've gathered, Milo made some snarky comment at the woman who played the lead in the new Ghostbuster's movie. She responded, and he directed, whether blatently or just irresponsibly, his army of minions to attack her, which they gleefully did. All got a bit out of hand and Twitter decided he was more trouble than he was worth and banned him.

I guess this is what it comes down to. Given the blokes reputation and prior actions it would not be beyond the realms of possibility, but in the absence of any proof, then I guess the decision was made at Twitter HQ that it was more trouble than it was worth. It could also have been the race element to it too. Although, if that were the case, then Leslie's tweet above ticks both boxes. If Twitter was consistent, they would have banned/suspended them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh they ban like crazy Sam. The vast majority don't kick up a fuss or have the fame profile and media avenues to complain about it. Add in the lines drawn US BS and in an election year where the choice is a warmonger or an orange haired muppet and all bets are off. Never mind the push to open the female market for an old and dead franchise and the almost inevitable pushback and it's easy to reach full retard all over the place.

The other problem can be actors and other "celebs" when set against media whores like Milo Snuffleupagus. They don't stand a chance. Few enough of them have the chops for debate. They get used to yes men, even if they start out bright enough, so tend to live in an ego bubble of crazy proportions. Agent provocateurs like Milo can have them for lunch.

IMH the studio really dropped the ball on that one. They could see the massive online backlash against the flic. Hell they even did reshoots to remark on it(just as thick as it sounds). Yet they pretty much left the actresses to their own devices in the online world.

Twitter has had it in for Milo for a while tho Wibbs and removed his verified status a few months ago which is pretty dickish move on their part. The whole Leslie Jones issue was just an excuse to ban him and its the lack of any proof of his wrong doing on the companys part that made this an issue.

As for celebs deserving bans, Kanye West, Azealia Banks and Leslie Jones have posted way worse stuff than Milo ever did and Twitter has done smeg all until Banks went full retard one time to many and got her account suspended.

The oft randomness of the service is one reason I'd not be arsed using it TBH. That and it's ready made for trolling/general nonsense/ego wankery. IE this nonsense involving a low end "comedienne" and a flouncy right wing troll.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mzungu wrote: »
    I am not sure if he did orchestrate a campaign (and it may very well have been his intention) but it seems it was just taken for granted that he did.

Although, taking the tweet OP posted here, it does seem like there was a pair of them in it.

It can be done very passively. And many people do this on Twitter all the time but usually to point out positive opinions rather than negative ones. If you or I have a million Twitter followers and then re-tweet an opinion we don't agree with then that gets sent to our million followers. They then can see it and act accordingly. Of course you or I did nothing but retweet however that simple act mobilised a mob and pointed them at a target. So on the one hand the guy just had an opinion. Big deal. On the other hand, he painted a target on the back of a person and plenty took aim. And as a vocal and popular political outlier there was a spotlight on him. In fact he'd already been warned and had his Twitter account suspended for bad behaviour in the past.

Of course the point was forced home because of the public outcry against the poor treatment of ghostbusters lady by a large number of Hollywood elites. Twitter was compelled to act by the negative publicity. And Milo knew too, that when taking a potshot in the manner he did, he mobilised his fans in that direction. His behaviour wasn't too bright, Bart.

Advertisement