Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funerals .... wake and / or mass and burial

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

ok...see your point and agree to disagree.
    on a side note i have a story about a quakers wake which would be in apprropriate for this thread so i will post in new thread..hope nobody takes offence...none meant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

dennyire wrote: »
    ok...see your point and agree to disagree.
    on a side note i have a story about a quakers wake which would be in apprropriate for this thread so i will post in new thread..hope nobody takes offence...none meant

This seems interesting. I don't think it would be inappropriate to post it here. Keeps things tidy. Who would find it offensive on this thread as opposed to a new thread. Post it ya wimp.... ;-)

timthumbni wrote: »
    This seems interesting. I don't think it would be inappropriate to post it here. Keeps things tidy. Who would find it offensive on this thread as opposed to a new thread. Post it ya wimp.... ;-)

Posted as a separate thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Posted as a separate thread:)

Now I know why..... A cracker style joke;-)

timthumbni wrote: »
    Now I know why..... A cracker style joke;-)
    Thread has disappeared......mods...can you explain why????????
    Have I offended quakers oats or what?

Thread has disappeared......mods...can you explain why????????
    Have I offended quakers oats or what?
    Apologies to mods(ken)..see it was moved to best joke you ever heard thread..thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I went to both the funeral home (removal) and the next day mass and burial recently. It was a mother of someone who while I wouldn't be social friends with, i've worked closley with them for the last 20 years.

Just felt like the right thing to do.

He thanked me later for showing up at all the services. He appreciated it.

I did hang back a bit at the cemetery figuring it was more of a family thing.

After burying my father many years ago I couldn't remember the next day who showed up. Its a bewildering blur of handshakes. But I do appreciate anyone who makes an effort. Simpathising is hard.

As is spelling simpathising. I know it ain't right !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's up to the family of the deceased how much or little they want to spend on a coffin, it's not something that would be of any concern to me.

Any wake I've been to the deceased is in the centre of the room with the family members sitting there so people can shake hands and pay their respects, there's no pressure to even look at the body if it makes someone uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Funeral homes down our way with a long time. But its now becoming more usual to have a wake in the house, even if only for a few hours. Bring the person back home.
    Its choice, whatever the family are comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF your sister, parent , uncle ,aunt,spouse passed away ,
    you have a chance to go to the funeral home and see the body.
    if you are not a close relative ,i don.t think theres any need to see
    the body.
    You can express your sympathy by going to the funeral,
    and maybe to the cemetary .
    theres usually a place to go for a meal ,
    it,ll be announced at the funeral .
    go to hotel or pub x if you wish
    Do people have wakes at home anymore at all ?
    i just think its weird , this idea ,
    bring someone back home,
    family can go to the funeral parlour,
    it seems strange to me .
    The funeral mass is a formal religious ceremony,
    and theres a social event after the burial,
    for family and friends to meet up .
    so all this about bringing a body home seems just over the top to me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it seems people are making that choice. Why? Possibly its seems more personal.
    But its a free choice, both equally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Your Face wrote:
    Time to grow up.

What exactly is your problem? Have you any contribution other than totally mis reading the op and giving two sentence condescending instructions to a question nobody asked!?

Oh and I buried my mother when I was twelve so i'd say I ' grew up ' plenty before you came along with your pearls of wisdom about what to do in the face of bereavement thanks.

Advertisement