Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Jewish community

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Re anti semitism now in the Labour Party: I think an extended investigative documentary with this allegation being corroborated by actual members of the Labour Party, Jewish and non Jewish, seems like a reliable document.

I don't think it was always there at all in the British Labour Party though.

"Anti semitism" can certainly be used as an allegation for bullsh1t, underhand reasons (e.g. loyalist types love to pretend that we are crazed anti semitics down here) but I'm not gonna dismiss actual anti semitism because of the above.

Tony EH wrote: »
    and the IRA were more interested in killing Jews than they were in tackling the British during the civil war.

Talk about a post truth world. :rolleyes:
    Jeez who said they were more interested in that? Someone said their grandfather alluded to the IRA killing Jews but asked for clarification. Nobody stated it was a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Big generalisation but Irish antisemitism historically has a strong catholic religious aspect. Jewish immigrants to Ireland were small in number and better off.

In England historically it seemed to be more of a general anti foreigner / class thing. In 19th century they had large immigration to London of working class / peasant background.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The best way to see the jewish cemetary in Fairview Ballybough is from top deck of the 123 as it passes before the old players lounge pub on way to Marino. Sit on left.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is another Jewish cemetery below the hell fire club at woodtown.

Thanks for that, I never knew about it. Some amazing hidden things in Dublin.

https://acloudonastring.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/progressive-jewish-cemetery-woodtown-dublin/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

It would take an entire thread to dismantle this utter bollocks.

I literally said it wasn't an accurate recollection of what I was told, and I was corrected only a post below. Cool your jets lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jeez who said they were more interested in that? Someone said their grandfather alluded to the IRA killing Jews but asked for clarification. Nobody stated it was a fact.

Sure, I may be being a bit hard on Sweet Trip, who said said he/she wasn't that well versed in Irish history. But the sheer amount of nonsense in this thread is head spinning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Sure, I may be being a bit hard on Sweet Trip, who said said he/she wasn't that well versed in Irish history. But the sheer amount of nonsense in this thread is head spinning.

Welcome to After Hours.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I literally said it wasn't an accurate recollection of what I was told, and I was corrected only a post below. Cool your jets lad.

Yep and actually even if its not accurate if it is how things have been remembered it is part of the history ie what is said about Jewish people in Ireland over time is part of the story. As long as it is prefixed as anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Welcome to After Hours.

I'll keep having to remind myself of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Crock Rock wrote: »
    So are the majority of Irish Jews of German or Central European descent who were escaping Hitler's persecution?

No. The majority of the Jewish communities in Ireland predate the Nazi party's rise I. Germay by decades or centuries, and the majority of the remainder came lobe after.

Much like the US and UK, Devs Ireland wasn't keep on taking in too many central European Jewish refugees, unfortunately.

Dev was an outright **** though, so it's hardly surprising.

I haven't read this thread because I'm sure it's a absolute **** show, but I know members of the families who own Bretzel Bakery and StienTravel, both near the portebello area of Dublin, and have never had anything other than positive experiences with both or their friends and wider communities when attending events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There was some murders of Jewish men in Dublin in the early 1920s. It was believed that the murders were instigated by Free State army officers. These officers may have carried out the murders and they also colluded in covering up how those involved in the killings had used Beggar's Bush Barracks to escape on the night of one of the murders.

I haven't read this thread because I'm sure it's a absolute **** show, but I know members of the families who own Bretzel Bakery and StienTravel, both near the portebello area of Dublin, and have never had anything other than positive experiences with both or their friends and wider communities when attending events.

Bretzel bakery hasn't been owned by Jewish people for I would say 60 years as far as I know.

Bretzel bakery hasn't been owned by Jewish people for I would say 60 years as far as I know.

I think you'd be surprised.

The family who opened it sold it less than 20 years ago, and the new(er) owners still operate it as a kosher bakery who produce traditional breads of the Jewish community to serve the nearby community.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hang on. When has the British left historically been anti Semitic?

Apparently the British Labour Party were always anti Semitic, except for the Blair years

Nobody insinuated it was apart from you two.

I think you'd be surprised.

The family who opened it and it less than 20 years ago.

Its been around for a lot longer than 20 years. I believe the last time Jewish people owned it was the 1950s, that was what the present owner told me but you could be right and i may be surprised.

Its been around for a lot longer than 20 years. I believe the last time Jewish people owned it was the 1950s, that was what the present owner told me but you could be right and i may be surprised.

Its been around since the latter half the the 19th century. The current owners bought it less than 20 years ago.

Its been around since the latter half the the 19th century. The current owners bought it less than 20 years ago.

Who owned it before him?

Who owned it before him?

The Elliman's and the Stein's.

• Advertisement

Did the Hackett family not own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Thesiger

Met an Irish-Israeli guy in the main Irish bar near the beach in Tel Aviv, he said there is a very small community in the greater Tel Aviv area who all loosely know each other and connect around Paddy's Day events and stuff like that. Think he said he was from Terenure originally.

From the below article.

"A chain of Jewish ownership was broken when the bakery's head baker, Christy Hackett, agreed to take it over from Ida Stein in the 1960s for one week and said that if he made a profit he would continue. The bakery remained in the Hackett family for two generations until ill health forced a sale."

https://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/people-are-fussier-now-they-have-less-money-29395471.html

Did the Hackett family not own it?

Maybe. I know one of their head baker's was a local man called Hackett from stories.
    But I also know both the Stein's and Elliman's were proud to tell me it was "their family's" bakery. This was also 15+ years ago after it had been sold to the current owners so maybe they skipped someone.

Manny Stein lived close by us off Clanbrassil Street. Lovely man anyway. His wife was Sylvia and the daughter was/is Freya.

Anyone remember them whether involved with the bakery or not. Often wondered about them after we moved on.

How would you find out. Not being nosy, but curious.

In a most Irish development, what landmark in "Jewtown", Cork is named after Mayor Goldberg? Why a pub of course. :)

https://goldbergs.ie

Manny Stein lived close by us off Clanbrassil Street. Lovely man anyway. His wife was Sylvia and the daughter was/is Freya.

Anyone remember them whether involved with the bakery or not. Often wondered about them after we moved on.

How would you find out. Not being nosy, but curious.

I don't know Manny but I'd have been friendly with Alex back then.
    I remember his dad being called Michael, maybe that was Manny?
    They ran the travel agents on the corner Camden street and pleasant Street?

Haven't seen any of them in years though, unfortunately

I don't know Manny but I'd have been friendly with Alex back then.
    I remember his dad being called Michael, maybe that was Manny?
    They ran the travel agents on the corner Camden street and pleasant Street?

Haven't seen any of them in years though, unfortunately

Ah thanks, I don't think Manny was involved in the Travel Industry (can't remember what the heck he did now!) but he was such a gentleman. Maybe they are related, but Manny and Sylvia had just the one daughter Freya.

Sorry this is bringing a lot of my early years back. Wish I knew then how important it would be to record it. But that's kids for you.

We all played together and there was no distinction made except on Shabbat. That's where us Gentiles made a few bob. Win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I know my me.

Strange thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I grew up off the south circular road in Dublin in the 70's so a fair number of my friends were Jewish. Like SE noted we didn't make any real distinction. I do remember kids conversations about sausages and what, you can't eat them, what the hell? :D I also remember being in one mate's house and asking his ma about the fancy candlestick on the sideboard and she telling me about the Menorah and what it was about. I also clearly remember her smiling when I asked about the fancy candlestick. :) She also made these very very tasty pastries which I never had before and can't recall the name, but we would devour them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement