Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options
  • 03-11-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Many customers of Pay TV companies are reluctant to consider subscription-free alternatives. The fear they will lose ease of use and a wide range of additional features - ending up with a "bargain basement" solution. That need not be the case.

This thread describes a high-functionality, feature-rich, alternative to Pay TV solutions. From a usability perspective, it compares very favourably to products from the main PayTv providers. It is designed to be user-friendly and suitable for general home/family use.

The solution is based on a customized Tiviar AlphaPlus set top box. The Tiviar AlphaPlus is a highly capable cable TV Box, with a large range of features. It is available with storage for about 1000 hours of programs, for around €200. However, it is complex to use for the general family, with a big learning curve.
    To manage the usability issue, I have configured a simplified GUI to make it much more user friendly. Following substantial feedback this version has finally passed the wifey test. Given the amount of help I have got on this forum, I thought it only fair that I would make the image generally available. I have started a new thread to keep what is a substantial amount of information, easily accessible.

The attached image supports:
    • All Popular Free-to-Air TV Channels (Irish + UK Satellite) with 7 day EPG
    • Catch-Up TV (RTE Player and 3 Player, in Ireland)
    • Satellite and Terrestrial Radio with 7 day EPG
    • Internet Radio Stations with covers and track information.
    • Film Playback with Covers, ratings and descriptions.
    • Music Playback with Covers.
    • Photo Viewing, With Slideshow
    • Series Recordings assigned to folders to avoid recordings clutter
    • TV Picture-In-Picture
    • Apps for Tablets and Smartphones (3rd Party)
    Design Criteria
    • Intuitive to use, with low learning curve.
    • Advanced Features for Sophisticated Users
    • Emphasis on consumer information, rather than technical data.
    • Single button to access popular functions.
    • Single remote to control TV + STB – with simple usage.
    • Insulated from user mis-operation – e.g. accidentally accessing technical features.
    • Must pass the Wifey test!

The updated software, and any future updates, is available here
    It only takes a few minutes to install and requires minimal setup, afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I prepared the Remote Control Guides, below, for use in the home.
    I uploaded pdf versions, suitable for printing/laminating to the shared drive.

465289.png

465290.png

A very full set of catch-up services, are available. (Thanks to Gerry Wicklow)

465320.png

465321.png

The YouTube video shows the operation of the RTE Player.

"]

465334.jpg

465319.png

465335.jpg

465294.png

465336.jpg

Films are stored on an external USB stick, or hard-drive, to improve usability. Information on each film is downloaded from the internet, for a brilliant User Experience. Additional information can be downloaded from Wikipedia, for film buffs.

465300.png

465301.png

465303.png

• Advertisement

Music can played from a USB stick, for easy playback.

465297.jpg

465298.png

465331.jpg

465332.jpg

465333.jpg

465306.png

465307.png

Picture-In-Picture can be activated directly from the remote, or from the infobar, when scrolling through channels.
    It can also be used when viewining a film, to keep an eye on what happening on a TV Channel.

465312.png

465313.jpg

Flashing
    Place the tiviaraplus folder on a USB stick formatted to FAT32. A stick no larger than 8GB is recommended.
    Turn the receiver off fully.
    Plug in the USB fob to the front USB port, and power on.
    Press the power button (the one with the white light on the front panel, when prompted to do so.
    The front panel will show flashing, if USB recognised.
    While the firmware is flashing DO NOT power down the unit, as this can cause permanent damage.
    Comprehensive Flashing Guide http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-bui...r%20Alpha+.pdf (Thanks to THHB)

The software is provided without warranty and you use it at your own risk. :)

Picons
    The picon folder has to be installed on your hard drive directory /media/hdd/.
    On a Windows PC this can be done from the network folder as Samba makes the Tiviar Alphaplus drives visible.
    If the WebIF is working, but the drives are not visible, Samba may have stopped.
    Restart under: Main Menu => Setup => Network => CIFS/Samba Setup.

Controlling the TV with the remote.
    CEC HDMI option
    If you enable the CEC HDMI option, you may be able to control the TV power and volume, in STB mode.
    This is the easiest option, if it works with your TV.
    (You may need to set a delay between each HDMI command to get this to work.)

Matching the remote to the TV
    The Tiviar Alphaplus remote is programmable, see the Tiviar AlphaPlus - Original User Manual, on the shared drive, for instructions.
    (Bear in mind that the manual is for the Original operating system, so all the references in the manual to the software functions no longer apply.)
    Once paired, the Power Off Button works for both devices, in either STB or TV Mode.
    Once the CEC HDMI option is turned off, the STB has its own volume control.
    You can then turn your TV volume setting to the maximum volume the user requires,and use the remote in STB mode to control the volume.

Weather Widget.
    The weather information has been disabled on most views as we found it distraction. However, it can be activated under settings.
    if using it, you'll need to edit your own weather location id in the mymetrix lite plugin, under settings. You can find your own location id here http://weather.mynonpublic.com/locationid.html

Setting Up Terrestrial Channels.
    You may need to scan the terrestrial tuner if you're not receiving signal from Cairns Hill. (Worked out-of-the-box, for me.)
    Auto-Managing Satellite Channel Changes.
    At the moment these have to be managed manually as the Autobouquetsmaker was messing with the Bouquets I had already configured.
    (I know there are solutions for this but don’t have time to pursue, for now. Maybe someone could set this up for me???)

Password
    The password on the box, inherited from the THHB image, is username: root, password: tempass. You can change it using the command “passwd root” using the terminal (under extras) in the Open Web I/F. You will be prompted for a new password.

System Configuration and Updates
    Configuration and Updates can only be done using the setup option on the main menu. All other routes are intentionally bricked off, to improve usability. (if I missed a brick, or two, please let me know.)

465295.png

Known Issues
    Any help/suggestions, in relation to these, would be most welcome.
    Using WiFi for connectivity.
    I have found WiFi connectivity unstable with the rtl8192cu chipset and I have to restart the connection regularly.
    This appears to be a known issue, and is not solved with any of the available drivers.
    It would be great if someone had a solution – even if it were only an auto-restart script for WiFi.
    One workaround is to use a HotKey to point directly to the network folder.
    This allows the WiFi to be restarted, with less effort.

Poor Visibility of Planned Recordings
    The best approach I could think of was to make them visible under a simplified main menu. I would like to link directly to the sub-menu entries, or even the timer view pages directly, but haven't figured out how to do this.

Switching to Radio Mode (Terrestrial/Satellite) is awkward
    Switching requires multiple clicks on the TV/Radio button as the TV Bouquets are always shown first.
    When switching occurs, the last Radio Bouquet, rather than the Radio Bouquet List, are shown.

Tune-In-Radio Instability
    TuneInRadio is unstable, and can cause a BSOD, if the broadband connection fails and an attempt is made to change channels.
    (The plugin appears to be no longer supported, but is the best I found from a usability perspective.)

Spotty Wikipedia suuport, with Movie Organisor
    When attempting to download additional film information from Wikipedia, a list of possible "hits", is returned.
    When a particular title is selected, the lookup can fail.

No Soak Testing
    Significant software changes, including an update of Enigma2, have been made under the skin.
    It is likely that minor issues will arise in day-to-day use.
    If these are made known to me, I will try to reproduce and forward to the appropriate support people, for resolution.

PIP Artefact
    Occasionally, a blank PIP artifact remains on screen, e.g. after changing channel from the infobar.
    It can be removed with the exit key.

View PIP from Browser Unstable
    When a PIP session is started from within the Movie Organisor it can cause a crash (BSOD).
    If I cant find a fix I'll disable this functionality.

Some Menu Items have unfriendly terms
    Terms such as 'Bouquet', 'Event' and (Auto)Timer are not ideal for a casual user. Ideally I'd like to change this, e.g. by using a dedicated language file, if someone could give me an idea where to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fair play, subbd

Fair play, subbd

This thread is really about highlighting what can be achieved, without having to pay big fees to Pay-Tv Providers. For a one-off outlay of between €250 and €350, depending on whether a professional installation is required, a feature-rich TV/Radio service is possible. You did all the early running, all I did was build upon your work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Congratulations, a very comprehensive set up NewClareman.
    It looks like a great result from the effort put in.

Lots of bling! :D

Congratulations, a very comprehensive set up NewClareman.
    It looks like a great result from the effort put in.

Lots of bling! :D

Yeah, Wifey and I are very pleased with the result. We left Sky about 3 months ago where we were paying over €70 per month (discount price) for Tv and DSL Broadband. We are now paying €30 per month for unlimited Fibre Broadband (Fatpipe 24 from Magnet). A minimum saving of €500/year - nice!
    (Well we thought it was fibre, it is actually DSL, but still grand for our purposes.)

It might seem like bling but there is simply no comparison, in terms of User Experience, between what we have now, and our previous setup. The amount of free features, and services, is simply fantastic. We had 100’s of CD’s gathering dust, because it was too much trouble to play them. Now they are available, at the touch of a button. (Well two buttons actually - I still have to turn the amplifier On/Off, manually. Everything else is via the remote.)

I’ve had FTA Tv for many years, including a Freesat, but no one else in the family was interested. The Sky box was simply too easy to use, for them. With the current setup it’s the other way around. Best of all, it can be replicated very easily, using the image above.

You mentioned that recordings can be viewed from phone or tablet.
    What software is required on phone/tablet to view recordings? Browser?

Can Live TV/Radio also be used from those devices?
    EPG also?
    Recording management?

Thanks. Just wondering about overall capabilities. I do not need the device itself.

You mentioned that recordings an be viewed from phone or tablet.
    What software is required on phone/tablet to view recordings? Browser?

Can Live TV/Radio also be used from those devices?
    EPG also?
    Recording management?

Thanks. Just wondering about overall capabilities. I do not need the device itself.

There are plenty of apps for all platforms. Myself I'm using Dream EPG on my Android phone and tablet

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.premium

On laptops I just use the browser. Yes live TV and radio works also. I also have a VPN to the house so I can use it anywhere.

I honestly mostly use Dream epg to add timers and autotimers

There are plenty of apps for all platforms. Myself I'm using Dream EPG on my Android phone and tablet

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.premium

On laptops I just use the browser. Yes live TV and radio works also. I also have a VPN to the house so I can use it anywhere.

I honestly mostly use Dream epg to add timers and autotimers

Is there an app that will display channel list and also EPG or do you use two separate apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looks like a good setup. Everything nicely integrated and will suit many.

Is there an app that will display channel list and also EPG or do you use two separate apps?

That one does, click the icon on the left gives a drop-down to select a different bouquet. There lots of different views and the sidebar has a link to movie directory

attachment.php?attachmentid=465349&d=1541333454[\img]

That one does

attachment.php?attachmentid=465349&d=1541333454[\img]

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks. :)

Ninja edited

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@thhb

Is the vpn for streaming when abroad?

@thhb

Is the vpn for streaming when abroad?

No although it's very handy to have a connection to my own network. I use it on my phone for security on public WiFi and also Pihole adblocking from my home network when out and about.

https://pi-hole.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

This looks great.
    I'm hoping to get an Enigma box soon... but was thinkin of a different one to the Tiviar.
    So I suppose I'd have to make my own image...
    A list of the plugins you recommend would be really handy.
    Its openvix you used is it?
    Is a decent RTE player a difficult thing to find or is there only one available?

Thanks

You will have to make your own image, I'm afraid. (In theory it might be possible to add drivers for a new box, to make a multi-box image, but I'd be afraid I'd brick my box.) See pictures below, for the plugins I currently use. I also tried Kodi 5, but it hogs resources and runs slow, so I removed it.

I don't know of any alternatives to E2iPlayer, for RTE Player.

465452.jpg

465451.jpg

@NewClareman, you can change the font size of the word extensions in the mymetrix plugin so it fits below the screen. It's in fonts half way down, called large text, set it to 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Brilliant, thanks.
    new box has been put back by another month.. wiper motor failed on SWMBO's Qashqai.. sigh...

..but we live in hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm running a smart android tv with netflix and other apps for streaming.
    The tv has Saorview, and a sat tuner, so I have selected Sat ch' s tuned in. I also have a Freesat pvr.

USB hdd connected to tv to record terrestrial.
    Freesat box records sat ch' s

Don't pay a penny.

( keep changing email to get free netflix)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Thanks and I'm in, brilliantly explained and steps laid clearly out.

Was in the market for a new box, ordered yesterday.

• Advertisement

I've just posted an updated image to the folder linked to in the first post of this thread.

There a are a few tweaks and I've also included MediaPortal - it is available when you "long-press" the red button. Ive attempted to remove the remaining adult feeds, in line with this being a family-friendly configuration.

This build includes some software updates and addresses an issue where live TV was being stored permanently, filling up the hard-drive.

I would love to have the satellite stations update automatically, should they change frequencies, in future. I'd really appreciate it if someone had a solution for this. :)

Advertisement