Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭penno

only signed up to Eir TV a month ago..... raging!!!...... I hate the layout of it. but stuck now for 12 months.
    your set up is 100 times better.
    I had FTA on my 'smart TV' and lost it over night about a month ago (hence the arrival of Eir ) was just left with Saorview. Bizarre.
    I am deffo going to put this box on my xmas list and study and save your thread for further reference. Thanks for all the effort you put in much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

penno wrote: »
    only signed up to Eir TV a month ago..... raging!!!...... I hate the layout of it. but stuck now for 12 months.
    your set up is 100 times better.
    I had FTA on my 'smart TV' and lost it over night about a month ago (hence the arrival of Eir ) was just left with Saorview. Bizarre.
    I am deffo going to put this box on my xmas list and study and save your thread for further reference. Thanks for all the effort you put in much appreciated.

You could get a quad LNB and use the box in another room. Well worth the money.

Question for NCM and/or THHB.

If I flash this tomorrow, Can I revert back to THHB's image from HDD, or do I have to do it with a pen drive and wipe NCN's image?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

sligojoek wrote: »

If I flash this tomorrow, Can I revert back to THHB's image from HDD, or do I have to do it with a pen drive and wipe NCN's image?

Do a backup, the date and time will be in that backup name. You can go back to that backup at any time by copying it to the root of the drive/usb key and renaming it tiviaraplus. A trick I sometimes use is putting a few letters after image names like tiviaraplusold tiviaraplusnew tiviaraplusnov18 etc, then just remove the few letters when you want to use it and rename it again for storage when flashed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Let us know how you get on. All feedback, including suggestions for improvement, welcome. :)

• Advertisement

Just getting to it now. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Apologies for the probably simplistic post!
    We have a satellite dish on our house from a previous occupants SKY installation - could I use one of these boxes with that satellite dish and coax cabling or would I need to do anything else?
    Any recommended retailers?
    How are the saorview channels picked up - I didn't think they were broadcast on satellite?

The dish should be fine. Ideally you'd need a twin feed from the LNB on the dish.
    You'll need a separate terrestrial antenna to recieve Saorview. That also plugs into the box

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭niallb

Simona1986 wrote: »
    could I use one of these boxes with that satellite dish and coax cabling or would I need to do anything else?
    Almost definitely.
    If they had Sky Q though, you'll probably need to change the LNB on the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

The dish should be fine. Ideally you'd need a twin feed from the LNB on the dish.
    You'll need a separate terrestrial antenna to recieve Saorview. That also plugs into the box

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

Thanks for the replies!

I have two coax cables from the satellite dish but they go to separate rooms, I assume a twinfeed is to watch one channel while recording another?

Any preference for firmware if ordering the box from the linked site?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies!

I have two coax cables from the satellite dish but they go to separate rooms, I assume a twinfeed is to watch one channel while recording another?

Yes the two feeds is to watch one channel while recording another.

I used OpenATV, based on recommendations from this forum. To get the full functionality on this thread, you’ll need to add in the plugins I listed, and configure same. The image I linked to I the first post overrides the original firmwRe and requires minimal configuration, apart from the tuning in the terrestrial channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

We have a satellite dish on our house from a previous occupants SKY installation - could I use one of these boxes with that satellite dish and coax cabling or would I need to do anything else?
    Any recommended retailers?
    How are the saorview channels picked up - I didn't think they were broadcast on satellite?

I had the same situation when I moved in to our place. Old satellite dish and some wires....

Friend of mine donated an old sky box, so I plugged it in, and I was able to get all the free satellite channels despite not having a sky card. (BBC etc)
    (those old sky boxes are around the place for free sometimes on freecycle or like 20 bucks on adverts )

Might be an idea just to get you going..
    You might be able to see if that works then its probably not a Sky Q installation... so should work with the Tiviar...
    The telly I subsequently bought has a sat tuner built in so I use that now.. while I try pull together cash for a proper box... not ideal but it works ...

Yah you need a freeview aerial for the Irish saorview channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The difference between Openvix and OpenATV is absolutely minimal. I use Vix and it's very good, but really much of a muchness.

Posted this in the TA+ thread by mistake.
    Bit of a problem lads. Flashed with new image last night and all went well. However the OH didn't like it as she's got used to the way it was. I took a backup of my image yesterday and am now trying to flash with it instead. All seemed to be OK but now it's stopped at "F-rootfs" for the last half hour.
    Where do I go from here?

Posted this in the TA+ thread by mistake.

Where is the backup you're trying to flash? Have you backups on both usb and HDD? If it's on the HDD unplug the usb, if on the usb open it and unplug the HDD until you get it flashed

I copied the backup from the HDD to the USB and renamed it "tiviaraplus".
    So I'm rying to flash from USB now. The origional backup is still on the HDD

if on the usb open it and unplug the HDD until you get it flashed

Open the box?

Is it safe to turn off the power and maybe try a different USB stick?

I copied the backup from the HDD to the USB and renamed it "tiviaraplus".
    So I'm rying to flash from USB now. The origional backup is still on the HDD

Try a different usb key. If that fails open the box and unplug the HDD.

Powered off, took the key out, powered back on and Newclareman's image has booted up fine. I was afraid I'd brick the box by stopping mid-flash. I'll leave it as it is for now have a root around for another key and try later. TV is booked till about 12.

Thanks for the speedy reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Powered off, took the key out, powered back on and Newclareman's image has booted up fine. I was afraid I'd brick the box by stopping mid-flash. I'll leave it as it is for now have a root around for another key and try later. TV is booked till about 12.

Thanks for the speedy reply

There should be no need to use a key unless you are using someone else's image. If you want a clean install, the box will download it directly. Just look under the BLUE button for FLASH ONLINE. If you want to restore a previous full backup opt for LOCAL and DEVICES to find your existing backup images listed by date.

• Advertisement

There should be no need to use a key unless you are using someone else's image. If you want a clean install, the box will download it directly. Just look under the BLUE button for FLASH ONLINE. If you want to restore a previous full backup opt for LOCAL and DEVICES to find your existing backup images listed by date.

The Blue button won't work, with this image - have to use software management, under setup.

I'm having no luck with this. I'll try again tomorrow.

Would I be best flash THHB's original image? Then restore settings through the blue button as I could before. I backed up the settings on the HDD yesterday as well as the image. I just can't seem to access that option anymore.

I went into software management > Restore system settings.. but it just rebooted and nothing else.
    Gerry Wicklow.
    If you want to restore a previous full backup opt for LOCAL and DEVICES to find your existing backup images listed by date.

I can't find that option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭swoofer

I had a few problems as well(no softcams) so to go back I did the following.
    menu, setup, software management, advanced options, OK, now you should see the advanced restore, OK, restore backups will appear at top of screen, and underneath you will see file, it will be named as enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz, press green button.

If its not there just start from scratch but remove all usb sticks and I use the front usb slot for flashing, and I use a 4gb stick, its named integral

swoofer wrote: »
    I had a few problems as well(no softcams)

I probably should have stated that at the outset that support for soft cams is deliberately not included. The build is intended to support FTA content, only. All links to adult and copyright material have been, substantially, removed. (Some apps auto-update, so I cannot guarantee that all such material is unavailable.) 🙂

swoofer wrote: »
    menu, setup, software management, advanced options, OK, now you should see the advanced restore, OK, restore backups will appear at top of screen, and underneath you will see file, it will be named as enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz, press green button.

Had a quick look eaarlier and get a list of
    enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz, With dates of previous backups.

There's one dated Monday, when I did my last backup, so I guess that's the one to go for. It'll be another half hour before I can get TV to myself. I'll give that a go. Thanks.

If its not there just start from scratch but remove all usb sticks and I use the front usb slot for flashing, and I use a 4gb stick, its named integral

Just realised there's a tiny USB key in the back of the box with picons on it.
    I wonder was that the reason my last flash didn't work.
    Flashing the Receiver.

2) Ensure no other USB devices are plugged into the receiver

Just realised there's a tiny USB key in the back of the box with picons on it.
    I wonder was that the reason my last flash didn't work.

Yep, those are the symptoms alright

@NewClareman.

Just so as you know. I have no issues at all with the image. It took me 3 months to get 5 other people used to the new box and everything was going swimmingly. There was uproar yesterday when buttons were doing different things than they were doing the day before. :D.

One other thing. That image had a load of timers set. It took me a while to cop on why the "REC" symbol was on so often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swoofer View Post

Had a quick look eaarlier and get a list of
    enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz, With dates of previous backups.

There's one dated Monday, when I did my last backup, so I guess that's the one to go for. It'll be another half hour before I can get TV to myself. I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Did all that. All back to normal.

Thanks for all advice and suggestions. Every day is a schoolday..

@NewClareman.

Just so as you know. I have no issues at all with the image. It took me 3 months to get 5 other people used to the new box and everything was going swimmingly. There was uproar yesterday when buttons were doing different things than they were doing the day before. :D.

One other thing. That image had a load of timers set. It took me a while to cop on why the "REC" symbol was on so often.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

My image is probably best suited for people who want a replacement Tv box, with a low learning curve. Wifey kept pressing random buttons and jetting into menus, best left alone - that’s why I started down the customization journey.

I’ve a small few items left to change and then I’ll post one final image. Taking your feedback on board, I’ll post the image with no active timers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Hi, is e2i player available on open atv 6.1 version, do you know. Is that a good iptv player also.
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement