Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the actual issue with the Irish Rail seat reservations system

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Many intercity trains on the continent have mandatory reservations ie. everyone who buys a train ticket automatically bets a reservation no standing on intercity trains. Could work on Irish rail or when all seats have been sold sell standing only tickets.

Its actually quite rare

Germans, Austrians etc don't have this policy and they do stand packed in regularly
    You can't even book a seat in Belgium, Netherlands and Switzerland

Only the Portuguese, French and Spanish apply it and only on high speed express services

Eastern Europe its more prevalent but you can go from Budapest to Hamburg without a reservation, no issue

Reservations are not the issue, it people who
    1. Believe they have a right to buy a 9.99 ticket on a 5pm to Cork on a bank holiday Friday at 4:59pm and complain when its 60+ euro and no seat
    2. Who ignore the notices and refuse to follow the system

But the same person will book 9 months ahead for cheap deal on a certain Irish airline...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Cause people don't end up standing on a plane

There'll never be more people than seats either

how safe can it be to be standing at 160km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Isambard wrote: »
    how safe can it be to be standing at 160km/h?

Not very I'd imagine, but I'd say it safer than standing on a plane

So you think Irish Rail should not allow people to stand on trains at all? Will never happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not very I'd imagine, but I'd say it safer than standing on a plane

So you think Irish Rail should not allow people to stand on trains at all? Will never happen

But surely it wouldn't be as safe standing on an ICR or an Mk4 than it would be on a DART or Commuter set with plenty of handrails to hold on to. A little bit like the difference between standing on a DB bus and a coach.

Look I'm not going to say it's safe to be standing on a moving train, obviously it's not, but it's just not something that Irish Rail will stop people doing

The train I get home only goes every 2 hours so people would definitely prefer to stand then wait

• Advertisement

Look I'm not going to say it's safe to be standing on a moving train, obviously it's not, but it's just not something that Irish Rail will stop people doing

The train I get home only goes every 2 hours so people would definitely prefer to stand then wait

But surely IE should know the trains which are standing room only and add extra trains or extra carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You assume there are spare trains available

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But surely IE should know the trains which are standing room only and add extra trains or extra carriages

There are neither sufficient additional multiple units nor additional carriages for the limited loco hauled stock.

There's an operational spare 3 car 22000 I think but that might even be in use now.

I think the reservations work fairly decent - certainly not my biggest gripe with trains in this country - but one that thing that makes me twitch is when someone doesn't sit in their designated seat - they sit in the seat facing it, or beside it.

Mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere that it takes 5 years to buy new trains

Also was an article in the Irish Times I think about how Irish Rail said they won't have new trains until the end of 2021!

Fully agree with you that they should just add some extra trains for busy Friday evening services but then there is also that issue from last week where the train from Westport to Dublin was full and people had to get off and bus from Athlone, I'm not sure Irish Rail have the capability to know which trains will be busy in advance

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There are neither sufficient additional multiple units nor additional carriages for the limited loco hauled stock.

There's an operational spare 3 car 22000 I think but that might even be in use now.

I guess that's proof that our railways are inadequate. It annoys me that public transport is seen as a bit of a non issue in this country I watch the BBC news from time to time and there's regularly stories about issues with trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What happened to all the MkIII's - the ones that Belmond didn't buy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What happened to all the MkIII's - the ones that Belmond didn't buy?

I'm fairly sure you know the answer to that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

they fed them into the big clapper and into the fiery furnace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭techdiver

A further example of the joke the system is. The 5.40am Sligo - Dublin allows you to select seats in 7 different carriages despite the fact that during the summer months they cut the service to 4 carraiges....

Apparently back to 7 from Monday but you'd have a hard time claiming your seat reservation on the rammed service the 4 car gives!

Advertisement