Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime time - any predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I dunno...by the end of the debate I almost felt sorry for the poor truck drivers! :)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Moronic uniforms I’m guessing.

I was going to post back and mention that , I said it to my partner about low numbers of girls cycling to school and she said pretty much the same " Have you seen what they have to wear to school"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I dunno...by the end of the debate I almost felt sorry for the poor truck drivers! :)

Four tests they have their pass apparently. Obviously an IQ test is not one of them in a lot of cases.

Ah well, I’ll have all the requisite safety gear to keep HGV lady happy - helmet, hi vis and lights - that’ll protect me from those well qualified truck drivers in their 40 tonne vehicles, particularly if I’m cycling in the middle of the lane or on the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I was going to post back and mention that , I said it to my partner about low numbers of girls cycling to school and she said pretty much the same " Have you seen what they have to wear to school"
    Always found it funny how school uniforms for females are far more conservative in Dublin than in rural parts of Ireland. Class is a hell of a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Four tests they have their pass apparently....
    I was wondering where she got four out of. :confused:

An artic licence (CE) can be had with 3 tests (B, C & CE) and a rigid with 2 tests (B & C) - presuming the candidate passes each test first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was wondering where she got four out of. :confused:

An artic licence (CE) can be had with 3 tests (B, C & CE) and a rigid with 2 tests (B & C) - presuming the candidate passes each test first time.

Annual CPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

There was absolute glee in the hauliers' representative's mention of a cyclist killed in the Phoenix Park.
    I hadn't known about that accident and presumed from the smug way she said it that it must have been a drunk lunatic showing off and possibly on their phone. Someone who must have been a disgrace to all cyclists and a menace on the roads.
    I've looked it up and it seems to have been a tragic accident involving a mature, regular cyclist.
    She did herself no favours there - nor when she seemed to imply that cyclists are potentially holding the whole country to a crawl and preventing timely deliveries and impeding business.
    And don't get me started on this 'cyclists don't pay road tax' rubbish. Every adult cyclist I know is also a tax-paying motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

worker bee wrote:
    There was absolute glee in the hauliers' representative's mention of a cyclist killed in the Phoenix Park.

That was an absolute disgrace on her part. That cyclist was killed in a collision with a pedestrian in the cycle path, so I don't understand what her point was.

The one thing I took from it was that we should be told the causes of the cycling deaths last year, because the likes of Mannix Flynn is perpetuating the stereotype that is all the fault of misbehaving cyclists.

For every cyclist I see breaking a red light, I see ten times as many drivers doing that daily. Even one of the video examples showed a woman breaking a red light as cars turned right. However she was in a continuous cycle lane which in theory cars shouldn't be turning into anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Always found it funny how school uniforms for females are far more conservative in Dublin than in rural parts of Ireland. Class is a hell of a thing!

OT but when I was in school the nuns used to give out to us for our tiny skirts* and tell tales of how Dublin girls wore their skirts down to their knees and even their ankles. Also terrible tales of pleats and tartan. Poor Dubs :D
    *one of the tests was to kneel down and the skirt had to touch the ground. We all used to roll them up after :pac:

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Four tests they have their pass apparently. Obviously an IQ test is not one of them in a lot of cases.

Commenting on the IQ of HGV drivers based on their representative is not ok. They are the group on the road I have the least dangerous incidents with. My father was a lorry driver, and several of my cousins are now HVG drivers. There is nothing wrong with their IQ.
    For sure there are dangerous drivers amongst them, there's no doubt about that. Just as there are amongst any group of motorists.
    I wince sometimes at what some cycling representatives say about cycling and cyclists.
    No one group on the road are angels, cyclists included but insulting and entire group wholesale is not useful, and is exactly what others do to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This show looked like a total crock, so I skipped it. Generally best to skip programmes that are titled things like "Road Wars".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I have to say in my rural experience I've rarely had a problem with trucks. ( I do try to minimise my time/distance on main roads though)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

nee wrote: »
    OT but when I was in school the nuns used to give out to us for our tiny skirts* and tell tales of how Dublin girls wore their skirts down to their knees and even their ankles. Also terrible tales of pleats and tartan. Poor Dubs :D
    *one of the tests was to kneel down and the skirt had to touch the ground. We all used to roll them up after :pac:

Commenting on the IQ of HGV drivers based on their representative is not ok. They are the group on the road I have the least dangerous incidents with. My father was a lorry driver, and several of my cousins are now HVG drivers. There is nothing wrong with their IQ.
    For sure there are dangerous drivers amongst them, there's no doubt about that. Just as there are amongst any group of motorists.
    I wince sometimes at what some cycling representatives say about cycling and cyclists.
    No one group on the road are angels, cyclists included but insulting and entire group wholesale is not useful, and is exactly what others do to cyclists.

I would have the opposite experience, I have had a few close passes by HGVs ( usually 4 axle ones) where the truck was doing about 80kmph.

I agree about IQ , while the average IQ of truck drivers is lower , I dont think IQ and dangerous driving is necessarily related.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have to say in my rural experience I've rarely had a problem with trucks. ( I do try to minimise my time/distance on main roads though)

Yep... truck driver usually give me plenty of room when overtaking.

https://youtu.be/JgY2b19x3sk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This show looked like a total crock, so I skipped it. Generally best to skip programmes that are titled things like "Road Wars".

At least it gave us #ImportantGrownUpCarTantrums

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Deedsie wrote: »
    We always hear references from other countries and how they are now totally pro cycling whereas at one time they were the congested mess that Irish towns and cities are.

How did these countries go about changing the attitude of drivers towards cyclists? I am sick of being treated with the same consideration of a puddle when a motorist is overtaking me. Its terrifying.

These countries you're alluding to also have amazing public transport systems. For some, a bicycle isn't an option and neither is our public transport given how dire it can be (strikes, unpredictable scheduling, congestion, not joined up, expensive for what it is). So I gather the attitude turned because people became less reliant on cars due to better cycling facilities AND public transport.

In Dublin for example, to build the kinds of cycling lanes Amsterdam or Copenhagen have, would require the DCC to remove a car lane on pretty much every road between the canals close to the city centre, we just don't have the width to built wide cycle lanes AND pedestrian lanes so some private mode of transport will have to lose for progress to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We always hear references from other countries and how they are now totally pro cycling whereas at one time they were the congested mess that Irish towns and cities are.

How did these countries go about changing the attitude of drivers towards cyclists? I am sick of being treated with the same consideration of a puddle when a motorist is overtaking me. Its terrifying.

Infrastructure, have a look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was a concious decision in the likes of Holland and Denmark in the 60's, in light of the number of deaths of pedestrians and cyclists. Despite the myth of them having the space because of World War 2, most european cities were rebuilt as car focussed.

So the usual poppycock about not enough space compared to european cities is just an excuse - there's no issue with space here, there's only an issue of will. We can see how politicians and officials aren't prepared to grasp the nettle with the Liffey Cycle Route, College Green etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Moronic uniforms I’m guessing.

This. My eldest, now in her leaving cert year cycles in all but the worst of weather. School attitude is appalling, not allowing stockings under the skirt or any jackets apart from the school one. Nor is there adequate locker space for a change of gear, so getting wet on the way in typically means staying wet. There is no incentive for kids to cycle to school in Dublin which IMO is a crying shame given their increasingly sedentary lifestyles. In addition to being good for the kids, reducing school-run traffic also has the potential to lower congestion for all other road users, so win-win really.

smacl wrote: »
    This. My eldest, now in her leaving cert year cycles in all but the worst of weather. School attitude is appalling, not allowing stockings under the skirt or any jackets apart from the school one. Nor is there adequate locker space for a change of gear, so getting wet on the way in typically means staying wet. There is no incentive for kids to cycle to school in Dublin which IMO is a crying shame given their increasingly sedentary lifestyles. In addition to being good for the kids, reducing school-run traffic also has the potential to lower congestion for all other road users, so win-win really.

It's probably a no win situation for the school.

1) They promote cycling and parents flip out because of how "lethal" it is to cycle and the school will be seen as negligent
    2) They don't promote it and parents on the other side of the camp flip out because they want their kids to be encouraged to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

When I was in secondary school in Dublin, later 80s into the 90s, there was a proposal and vote put forward by the student body and that was that girls should be allowed to wear the same uniform as boys, i.e. trousers. It sailed through without issue from the student or school body. I'm surprised that some schools these days still insist on skirts for girls. It seems to me that it's mainly private or 'posher' schools, as they'd like to think of themselves, that maintain this standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, even the RHA person made a claim on PT that cycling in rural areas was a fool's errand.
    i find it interesting that the spokesperson for one of the organisations most to benefit from good road infrastructure, can make that claim about the safety of irish roads; but in the same show, try to shift the burden onto cyclists to deal with the circumstances. it's an amazing leap of logic.

Pretty let down on the level of preparation by the cycling advocates. Surely there were better representatives? No offence to Damien Ó Tuama but he just wasn't strong enough.

Wonder was it deliberate omitting any clips of a Dublin Bus being dangerous. I've seen plenty on here, and I'm sure they'd have had plenty submitted. /removes tin foil hat.

I've had my share of issues with Dublin Bus but I say this, I don't envy them.

Having been on a bus recently from the quays up to Fairview, the drivers have to put up with some amount of fools on bicycles. Also the congestion introduced by the cross city luas can't be good for the stress levels. Of all the drivers in the city ( private car, luas, taxi and bus) , it's the bus driver I feel sorry for.

I'm in no way vindicating the actions of a few bad drivers because of this, just saying, get on a bus at rush hour and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Most of the stress that comes with driving is the traffic delays and urge to get somewhere quicker. Bus drivers are literally paid to sit and drive the bus, if they're delayed, so be it, they may cut or miss a journey later. So I think the largest contributor to stress is removed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think it's an accident that dublin bus drivers have a better reputation in general than aircoach drivers. if you get stuck in traffic on a dublin bus, the driver is not on the clock to get you to your destination in time - the consequences of an aircoach being late are worse for the passengers, and they're more strictly timetabled (AFAIK) as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hurrache wrote: »
    When I was in secondary school in Dublin, later 80s into the 90s, there was a proposal and vote put forward by the student body and that was that girls should be allowed to wear the same uniform as boys, i.e. trousers. It sailed through without issue from the student or school body. I'm surprised that some schools these days still insist on skirts for girls. It seems to me that it's mainly private or 'posher' schools, as they'd like to think of themselves, that maintain this standard.

Or let them just wear appropriate clothing for cycling no matter what gender they are. This rubbish of schools dictating what students can and can't wear while on their way to/from school is ridiculous in most cases.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Chiparus wrote: »

I agree about IQ , while the average IQ of truck drivers is lower , I dont think IQ and dangerous driving is necessarily related.

It most definitely is not lower.

In relation to ridiculous school uniforms, she several years of asking, we were only allowed to wear trousers into school (all girls convent school in the Midlands) in 2002. And they had to be specific, school mandated ones.
    No one even cycled recreational where I'm from growing up. The road my home house is on gas grass growing in the middle of it, is tiny and extremely windy and hilly. all the roads near me are like this. People (including my own family) drive at 80kph on them. There's a culture of rallying there too, (rallys frequently go by our house). I feel a hell of a lot safer cycling around Dublin than down home.

When I was going to school it was much worse, with the culture of drink driving, less speed and Russ safety awareness. Cycling the eight miles to school wouldn't have been that safe imo. However the county I'm from now has a cycling club so things are changing a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

nee wrote: »
    It most definitely is not lower.

While it may not be lower to begin with, studies suggest that driving for more than 2 hours a day does lower IQ.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

main take-away i have from this is that i hope they release the swear reel as a standalone video. fair play for them leaving all the profanity intact.

96.% of those expletives are mine.... And 8 of the clips they showed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Wonder was it deliberate omitting any clips of a Dublin Bus being dangerous. I've seen plenty on here, and I'm sure they'd have had plenty submitted. /removes tin foil hat.

I was asked to submit video, and one was close pass of a bus who immediately pulled into a stop - the researcher was particularly interested in that clip. But alas!

Advertisement