Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to laugh at the parking rules picture, do not leave your bike sitting on the LUAS line!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It looks a lot like a project website at the moment. I struggled to figure out exactly what the parking rules are (it's a public bike parking stand that is marked on the map only), the "bleeperpoints" concept, including suspending membership if you drop below 100 points, and the fact that all the prices in the terms and conditions are listed as €xx.

Like the idea, but make it as easy to understand as possible, and make sure EVERYTHING is in place before you go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'll have all the problems mobike does in china, the current system has its caveats but is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the main problem I foresee is lack of proper bike parking around Dublin - if they and the council can improve that (and provide a map within the app) then I can see this working reasonably well. I love the Dublin Bikes but the whole hi-tech station concept is no longer necessary and is hampering further expansion of the scheme - I wonder what the relative cost of a Sheffield stand is versus the cost of one DB dock.

Mobike and others are planning agressive rollout in the UK so this looks like the way things are going generally:
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/12/uber-bikes-manchester-mobike-china-global-ofo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It looks a lot like a project website at the moment. I struggled to figure out exactly what the parking rules are (it's a public bike parking stand that is marked on the map only), the "bleeperpoints" concept, including suspending membership if you drop below 100 points, and the fact that all the prices in the terms and conditions are listed as €xx.

Like the idea, but make it as easy to understand as possible, and make sure EVERYTHING is in place before you go live.

Are you looking at a mobile website or something as all the detail is clearly marked on full website.

€5 - 5 rides (1 ride = 1 hour)
    €25 - 27 rides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

installed the app, all the bikes seem to be in Portobello today, presume they are launching there?
    it's success will depend on the number of bikes they put out looks like there are 40-50 of them on the app to start with

edit...based in Portobello, launching July, 1000 bikes:

http://irishcycle.com/2017/06/15/e1-per-ride-stationless-bicycle-share-near-to-launch-in-dublin/

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Are you looking at a mobile website or something as all the detail is clearly marked on full website.

€25 - 27 rides

pricing is not bad for an occasional DB user - I'm paying the €25 annual fee, I'm not sure I use it much more than 25 times a year (and some of those I would have gone over the 30 mins).

If you were using DB every day then obviously that's better value, but you could still use Bleeper on the occasions when DBs were unavailable or you were outside of the DB zone.

I wonder will they have the same credit-card guarantee requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

ED E wrote: »
    It'll have all the problems mobike does in china, the current system has its caveats but is far superior.

Will we see these scenes over the next few months in Dublin?

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F351505%2F1891f0b3-eb7c-46ca-b35d-6d5290ebc77f.jpg

http://mashable.com/2017/01/18/bike-sharing-pile-up-china/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't see anything about 'zone' limits on the website. The canals is certainly a limitation for me, so it would be great to be able to pick up or even just drop off the bike beyond the canals. Did anyone see anything about any distance limit for locking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

iwillhtfu wrote: »

€25 - 27 rides

Terms and conditions link at bottom of page - desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Edel Kelly, a senior planner at the environment and transport section of Dublin City Council:
    This type of scheme should be considered as an alternative to the expansion of the Dublinbikes scheme which would require considerable public capital expenditure
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/06/15/e1-per-ride-stationless-bicycle-share-near-to-launch-in-dublin/

I'm getting the same bad feeling I get when people argue against improving public transport because of the imminent driverless-car utopia.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Edel Kelly, a senior planner at the environment and transport section of Dublin City Council:

I'm getting the same bad feeling I get when people argue against improving public transport because of the imminent driverless-car utopia.

I haven't heard anyone arguing that, if anything driverless vehicles should mean less road-infrastructure and parking spaces.

WRT to bike sharing I think if you were launching DBs now, you would go with something closer to Bleeper than the infrastructure heavy and expensive DB design.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

loyatemu wrote: »
    I haven't heard anyone arguing that, if anything driverless vehicles should mean less road-infrastructure and parking spaces.

I've seen it primarily in the American media. Mostly to shoot down light-rail projects, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It's hard enough getting a park for one's own private bike in many parts of the city. It will be chaos with an extra 1,000 bikes added to the mix.

I can't see the City Council being able to add more stands in the time required, nor allowing bleeperbike to add ones of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Type 17 wrote: »
    It's hard enough getting a park for one's own private bike in many parts of the city. It will be chaos with an extra 1,000 bikes added to the mix.

I can't see the City Council being able to add more stands in the time required, nor allowing bleeperbike to add ones of their own.

The City Council (the civil servants rather than the basically decorative councillors, to whom the civil servants seem not to pay a blind bit of notice) seem generally anti-cycling, though I'm open to correction.

Look at Rathmines, all of the few bike stands bristling with bicycles (and increasingly with motorbikes locked to them - what's that about?), and no sign of any more being provided. Surprising that the Swan Centre isn't active in looking for more, since it must be losing custom when people shrug and ride on to town.

Just downloaded the app and signed up. Hope it's not some clever scammer who now has my credit card to play with as he wilt.

there are loads of places around the city where extra racks could be added, there should be racks on practically every street - you'd fit 10 bikes in one car parking space.

Chuchote wrote: »
    The City Council (the civil servants rather than the basically decorative councillors, to whom the civil servants seem not to pay a blind bit of notice) seem generally anti-cycling, though I'm open to correction.
    At risk of slight pedantry, local authority staff are public servants, not civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'll keep an eye on this. If it's any use it will certainly replace my Dublin Bikes sub as I am a very rare user

DCC not so happy: http://www.dublincity.ie/bleeperbike-scheme-launches-without-dublin-city-council%E2%80%99s-consent
    The main issues to be addressed include managing the potential impacts of the scheme on the public realm, ensuring the bikes are fit for purpose and properly maintained, insurance, ensuring there is adequate cycle parking capacity in city centre locations and ensuring bikes are not abandoned at unsuitable locations. The Bye-Laws will likely require operators to apply for a licence to operate within the city.

The launch of this scheme is therefore premature pending the preparation of Bye-Laws.

...The Bleeperbike bicycles are unlicensed and will advertise the service which they provide. As such Dublin City Council is empowered to remove them from the public domain.

Sounds like the scheme might not make it very far in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

buffalo wrote: »
    DCC not so happy: http://www.dublincity.ie/bleeperbike-scheme-launches-without-dublin-city-council%E2%80%99s-consent

Sounds like the scheme might not make it very far in the near future.

Internet-reliant sectors such as AirBnB, Uber, etc are taking traditional industries by surprise all over the world, and seeing as DCC are particularly "traditional", it will be very entertaining to see them attempting to react to this - remember The Record Industry's reaction when faced by file-sharing? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no comparison I think with Air BnB and the likes, the company is relying on county council property to run their business and they have the power to easily put a stop to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd suspect there are two sides to this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The council is against a scheme that would make transport in the city more efficient?

By the way, is there any way to request bike racks where they're needed in Dublin as you can in New York http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bicyclists/cityrack-suggest.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Far from polished, that website. Mis-spelt words and poor punctuation. Just makes it feel a bit amateurish.

The council is against a scheme that would make transport in the city more efficient?

Cycle transport becomes a lot less efficient if you reach your destination and spend the next 20mins looking for somewhere to lock your steed because all the stands are full of commercial bikes.

It sounds like DCC wanted some time to assess the number/location/cost of new stands, and perhaps how much of this cost should be passed on to the private companies who would be benefiting. That's how it reads, though there may also by cynical power ploy in the background, trying to protect the DB scheme's revenues.

Its not that, they would totally clog the city. We cant get cars (which can be fined) to park properly, no way ownerless bikes are going to be anything other than dumped. Imagine Grafton outside McDs at 2AM on a Saturday morning.

20170213_131637.jpg

bike-sharing-in-china-a-way-to-beat-jams.jpg

main-qimg-32c44052569c57c56a93005cb1713adb-c

Its not that, they would totally clog the city. We cant get cars (which can be fined) to park properly, no way ownerless bikes are going to be anything other than dumped. Imagine Grafton outside McDs at 2AM on a Saturday morning.
    I'm reminded of all the naysayer warnings of how the Dublin Bikes would NEVER work in Dublin and would all end up in the Liffey in the first week.

I'm reminded of all the naysayer warnings of how the Dublin Bikes would NEVER work in Dublin and would all end up in the Liffey in the first week.

DBs worked elsewhere first. Mobike is a scourge elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

i'd suspect there are two sides to this story.

Bleeperbike's side is also included in my articles.

DBs worked elsewhere first. Mobike is a scourge elsewhere.

Mobike has not yet announce that they will launch here, Bleeperbike at least are trying with a plan for stricter and clearer parking rules and staff patrolling the city.

Advertisement