Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ar***ole in a car

Options
  • 20-04-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

So im cycling down the quays yesterday weaving in and out of stopped traffic, and I guess I miss judged a gap between two cars and well my pedal scraped the side of this guys bumper. Now I dont know would people usually keep on cycling or stop and assess the damage, either way I stopped and jestured to him that there was a small scrape on his bumper. He jumped out of his car F'ing and blinding, came round and looked at the scrape. I offered him my number and
    to pay for the damage but his reply was "no go on F**K off". So off I went. Anyone had any similar indcidents, couldnt understand why he was being such a prck to be honest, I know he was frustrated but there was no need for the dismissal he gave me after me offering to pay for the damage. I find most motorists in the city have an out and out hatred for cyclists.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What did you expect? You damaged his car through your carelessness. The fact that you offered to pay for the repair is incidental.

He blew off a bit of steam after you scraped his car and he left it at that. If you ask me he was very reasonable in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe he did overreact but probably most people would do the same in his situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

So you scratched someone's car, and got away with just an F-off. And now you're complaining about it? Sounds to me like you got off lightly.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

As much as it pains me to say it I think you did get off lightly.

As a cyclist I have a healthy hatred for motorists who don't recognise that cyclists have a right to use the road. From parking and driving in cycle lanes, in the few places cycle lanes exist.I've had cars open doors in my path, been knocked off the road by motorists turning shaprly without indicating, and my most hated, the angry mother screaming at her kids in the back while driving straight into me while I have the right of way at an intersection (twice that happened)

thats why its so hard for me to defend the motorist but in fairness he did let you of lightly. Try not weaving in and ot of traffic too. Keep the moral high ground with the cycilists so we can be smug and look down on the petrol junkie beasts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

wasnt complaining just sharing the story and wondering if it had happened to anyone else. Carelessness maybe just misjudged the gap I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

U should have just gone on. it gives a bad name to us cyclists but howinever. Motorists knock enough of us down so one dent in a car would kill him. Cycle on next time and save the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Arsehole in the car is right! I know I would be more annoyed if a cyclist scraped my car and just sauntered off into the distance. He should have been grateful you didn't. Bright-side....you don't have to pay for the damage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

What kinda car was it? '06 911?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Shoulda just cycled on and forget about it.
    Sure what do motorists expect?
    They sit there in these big metal boxes comandeering loads of public space and then if they get a bit of a scratch they're surprised? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

davkav wrote:
    to pay for the damage but his reply was "no go on F**K off". So off I went.
    Sounds like his papers might not have been in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

scratches on bumpers can actually be fairly pricey, so if i got shouted at for doing that i'd be happy enuf with that! cud have cost a few hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Scraped bumper = about 250 euro worth of putting right, not suprised he was angry tbh!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jman0 wrote:
    Shoulda just cycled on and forget about it.
    Sure what do motorists expect?
    They sit there in these big metal boxes comandeering loads of public space and then if they get a bit of a scratch they're surprised? :rolleyes:

When you start paying VRT and road tax you can talk about the right to sit there on your metal box...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sounds like his papers might not have been in order.

What papers would they be? And what papers does the average cyclist have?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Hmmm, "ar***ole on a bike" would have been a more appropriate name for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Longfield wrote:
    Scraped bumper = about 250 euro worth of putting right, not suprised he was angry tbh!!

Too right! If its one of those plastic type bumpers, they just replace the whole thing and from any manufacturer it can easily cost what you mentioned. You are lucky to get off OP.

Hagar wrote:
    What papers would they be?
    Motor Tax, Insurance, NCT, Driving Licence, Passport, possibly a Visa & Work permit
    Hagar wrote:
    And what papers does the average cyclist have?
    Motor Tax, Insurance, NCT, Driving Licence, Passport, possibly a Visa & Work permit.

Motor Tax, Insurance, NCT, Driving Licence, Passport, possibly a Visa & Work permit.

Now I know you're taking the p1$$. Ignoring the work permit and visa, what cyclist is legally obliged to carry these? Whereas a motorist must.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I just want to back track a little and ask what is a bumper meant to do, if not protect the car from scrapes and knockers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

davkav wrote:
    So im cycling down the quays yesterday weaving in and out of stopped traffic,

So you were not obeying the rules of the road!

• Advertisement

I just want to back track a little and ask what is a bumper meant to do, if not protect the car from scrapes and knockers? :)

Everyone should upgrade to bull bars to protect their body coloured bumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hagar wrote:
    Now I know you're taking the p1$$. Ignoring the work permit and visa, what cyclist is legally obliged to carry these? Whereas a motorist must.
    There was no mention of what papers one is obliged to carry. The point was that most cyclists probably own a car too. I do.

daymobrew wrote:
    There was no mention of what papers one is obliged to carry. The point was that most cyclists probably own a car too. I do.

..and have the same bad habits on both...;)

Hagar wrote:
    You asked a question, I provided an accurate answer. How is that taking the pi$$? Did the answer conflict with a general prejudice of yours?.

You're leading us off-topic but I can tell you that many cyclists do carry their driving licences as if they are stopped by the guards and are unable to provide satisfactory evidence of their name and address, the Garda can seize the bike until proof is provided. It's also useful to have identification in case one is involved in an accident and rendered unconcious.

To lead you back to the point let me inform you that we're speculating why this particular driver declined an offer of compensation and my theory would be that he did not want to come to the attention of the authorities for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Hmmm, "ar***ole on a bike" would have been a more appropriate name for this thread.

Sorry DublinWriter we ain't all perfect like you. I am a motorist by neccesity but it makes me sick hearing all these whinging motorists give out about things like small dents. Cyclists are knocked down every day but you do not hear anything about it. Cyclists are also tax-paying citizens who have just as must right to be on the road. No body thankfully was hurt in this incident so that should be end of story.

janullrich wrote:
    S....it makes me sick hearing all these whinging motorists give out about things like small dents...

Small dents are expensive to repair. Most people get annoyed when they have to fork out a few hundred quid, due to someone else lack of care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

janullrich wrote:
    Cyclists are also tax-paying citizens who have just as must right to be on the road.

Right to be on Road: Yes

Right to Scratch Cars with Impunity: No

gilroyb wrote:
    Right to be on Road: Yes

Make that damage property.

I dunno what you cyclsits expect. Sympathy because a cyclist caused damaged, and was lucky enough to get off the hook. Yes its great that he made the offer of paying for it, but such damage can be expensive, and lots of people have had experience of cyclist causing minor damage and disappearing. Most people would prefer if cyclists took more care and attention, and save everyone a lot of grief. While there are good cyclists, there are a heck of lot of bad ones.

gilroyb wrote:
    Why do you need to say this?

I think we can all agree that nobodyhas the right to damage property,
    cause injury or endanger the health or well-being of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

"Arsehole on a bike" why would you say this, I suppose I did do it on purpose, I try to scratch as many cars as possible in the city, my way of getting my own back for nearly getting knocked off my bike at least once a day whilst in the cycling lane. That sounds like a much more reasonable answer doesnt it, get a grip it was an accident. The scrape was about a centimeter long on his front plastic bumper. I offered to pay for the damage as I knew how much it would cost to fix as I work in a motor factors. €50 max. would have covered it.
    As for not obeying the rules of the road, the junction where this happened was on the southside quays at heuston station. I was heading for the phoenix park. That junction is almost impossible to cross from the cycle lane on the left with motorists heading up towards Inchicore oblivious to the cyclists there in the cycle lane, all there interested in is getting home from work. As I passed the car, that I scratched, my pedal accidently clipped his bumper at the corner. I stopped immediatly and motioned to him that I scratched it.

Advertisement