Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ar***ole in a car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sounds like his papers might not have been in order.

What led you to jump to that conclusion? That is just pulling stuff out of thin air. Unless it's proven otherwise let's work on the basis that neither the cyclist nor the motorist had anything to hide.

Now you asked about my prejudices, there aren't any relevent to this topic. Cyclists are not legally required to have tax, insurance or a driving licence with them at any time. Motorists are. That's fairly easy to understand. Although the Gardai are entitled to ask you for ID, until the State provides a form of ID that it is legally binding to carry at all times it's a bit of a joke really. There is provision for the Gardai to seize a bike likewise a car or more or less anything they like if they mention the correct Act at the time. But have you ever seen or heard of it happening?
    I haven't.

My own theory on why the driver didn't want to involve the authorities is as follows:
    Long wait for Garda to arrive. Very low priority for them as no one was injured.
    Inconvenience caused to other road users by not moving car until Gardai do arrive.
    Hassle with Insurance company.
    Possible loss of no claims bonus.
    Cyclist has no road insurance and probably no personal liability insurance that could be economically claimed against.
    Possible counter claim from cyclist after getting advice from shyster lawyer.

There was a relatively small amount of damage done and despite his personal frustration he decided not to take action against the cyclist. Maybe he felt sorry for him. Many cyclists are not doing it for their health but doing it because they have no option financially.
    He was just giving the guy a break. Now will you give me one.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Hagar wrote:
    What led you to jump to that conclusion?
    It's not a conclusion, it's a theory. But since you ask: Stories of undocumented Irish in the USA having to be discreet when involved in minor accidents. The fact that 6% of Irish drivers are uninsured. The huge number of drivers driving unaccompanied on first provisional licenses. These are all valid foundations for my theory.
    Now you asked about my prejudices, there aren't any relevent to this topic. Cyclists are not legally required to have tax, insurance or a driving licence with them at any time. Motorists are.
    So why introduce this 'red herring'?
    There is provision for the Gardai to seize a bike likewise a car or more or less anything they like if they mention the correct Act at the time. But have you ever seen or heard of it happening?
    Yes and yes.
    Possible counter claim from cyclist after getting advice from shyster lawyer.
    Where did you get this idea? Prejudice at work again?
    Now will you give me one
    You tried to take a cheap shot at cyclists & got found out: No.

That's a totally spurious post.
    I'm not prejudiced and I took no cheap shots at anyone so where does the "finding out" come from? You seem to be the one with the agenda here. Nobody else is posting in your tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

....To lead you back to the point let me inform you that we're speculating why this particular driver declined an offer of compensation and my theory would be that he did not want to come to the attention of the authorities for some reason.

My theory is hes drug running. Because 4% of people who read Viz like the color purple. ;)

Hagar wrote:
    I'm not prejudiced and I took no cheap shots at anyone so where does the "finding out" come from?
    To answer your question: You introduced a spurious argument about cyclists not having to carry documents. When you received a polite, factual reply, you responded with vulgarity. Why?
    You seem to be the one with the agenda here.
    My only agenda is to participate in a discussion of an incident, introducing facts to back up my statements. Same agenda as yours, I hope.
    Nobody else is posting in your tone.
    It's in your head.

Tell me, in the incident that was described, if you were the motorist, describe how you would have reacted?

• Advertisement

You introduced a spurious argument about cyclists not having to carry documents.
    What was spurious about it.? The facts are the facts.
    When you received a polite, factual reply, you responded with vulgarity. Why?
    The reply was derisive and factetious, I replied in kind.
    My only agenda is to participate in a discussion of an incident, introducing facts to back up my statements.
    I haven't seen anything resembling a fact, only conjecture.
    It's in your head.
    Err. No.
    Tell me, in the incident that was described, if you were the motorist, describe how you would have reacted?
    Much the same. It's happened to everyone at some time or another. No big deal really.

Hagar wrote:
    What was spurious about it.?
    It had nothing to do with progressing the discussion? (A 'red herring')
    Hagar wrote:
    The reply was derisive and factetious, I replied in kind.
    You asked two questions, you got two answers. How else could one accurately answer your questions? I still don't understand why you asked.
    I haven't seen anything resembling a fact, only conjecture.
    True there certainly is a lot of conjecture involved on both sides, but 6% of drivers being uninsured and thousands of drivers driving unaccompanied without a full license must surely resemble facts? Unlike 'shyster lawyers' which is prejudicial.
    Much the same. It's happened to everyone at some time or another.
    That being the case, make sure you don't behave as the motorist did. The use of foul and abusive language in a public place, especially if the recipient feels threatened, could be deemed to be a breach of the peace or an assault.

For my part, if the cyclists's attitude was good and if the damage was trivial, I would have sighed, & shrugged it off & thanked him for his honesty. After all, in a year or two they're be plenty more scratches for one reason or another.

If you look back you will see it wasn't me who raised the papers issue, I just responded.

This is all gone way too personal. Where is this all leading anyway?
    Even the OP is probably bored and gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Hagar wrote:
    ...This is all gone way too personal. Where is this all leading anyway?

Cars and drivers are evil...usually...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Longfield wrote:
    When you start paying VRT and road tax you can talk about the right to sit there on your metal box...
    When have you ever paid road tax in Ireland, there is no such tax. You pay MOTOR tax, which is why the site is called www.motortax.ie not www.roadtax.ie
    R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

"As for not obeying the rules of the road, the junction where this happened was on the southside quays at heuston station. I was heading for the phoenix park. That junction is almost impossible to cross from the cycle lane on the left with motorists heading up towards Inchicore oblivious to the cyclists there in the cycle lane, all there interested in is getting home from work."

Well actually you have a good point here, came in late on this debate but I agree that this is a particularly dangerous junction, And in fact the only time you can cross safely is when the cars are stopped at the lights so you kinda have to manover between the 2 lanes of parked cars..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I don't see why people are getting their knickers in a knot ? Accidents happen and the cyclist did exactly what he should have done. I can understand the motorist being angry, no problem, but there was no call for cursing at the guy who admitted what he'd done and offered to cover the cost.

Gav

Advertisement