Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feed the wildlife.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Akrasia wrote: »
    Different feed attracts different birds. It's a good idea to vary the feed you leave out because some of the 'bully' species can set up their territory to guard their favourite bird feed and this can prevent smaller birds from getting the food. If the feed changes regularly, these bigger or more aggressive birds won't always be guarding the same spots.

It's great to feed the wild birds at certain times of the year when their natural feed is scarce or weather conditions are poor, but you don't want them to become dependent on it either. This time of year when the birds are nesting and the first broods of chicks are starting to hatch, high protein feeds like peanuts and mealworm are great for birds feeding chicks

Don't forget the ground feeding birds either. Fruit and seeds are great for robins, blackbirds, thrushes, chaffinches, sparrows etc

I always throw out any leftover boiled rice for these birds onto some grass out in the open to keep them safer from cats in the area(I don't put salt in with the rice when I'm boiling it)

Thanks I think the goldfinches are using mob mentality at the sunflower seed feeder. I'll put out some peanuts in a feeder too and leave the fat balls for next year.

How do you put out mealworm? Just on a saucer or is there a special holder that works for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

lolo62 wrote: »
    Thanks I think the goldfinches are using mob mentality at the sunflower seed feeder. I'll put out some peanuts in a feeder too and leave the fat balls for next year.

How do you put out mealworm? Just on a saucer or is there a special holder that works for that?

I just put them in a standard wire mesh peanut feeder. Actually, I forgot, I needed to build a cage around my feeder to keep the crows off them. I got two wire hanging baskets and stuck them together to make a round cage that the small birds can fit through and the crows haven't yet figured how to reach yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

All going well here with feeding except for one issue. Our resident robin (at least we think it's the same one) has a habit of flying in to the house! Our back door is open more than it's closed when it's not raining and this guy/girl is extremely relaxed. Flies in to the shed and the house, no panics, just sits on the counter top. It's not a big deal, but sometimes it gets confused between the open door and the closed window and we have to herd it out.

It seems to have complete trust in my 5 year old son, but is afraid of us adults. It's cute and nice and I'm guessing it's not a problem?? We were thinking it may have been a pet or a caged bird at some stage?

Anyone experienced similar situations, again, it's not a problem, he/she does tiny poo's, but that's ok... is it just one of those nice things that happen? I think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

John_Rambo wrote: »
    All going well here with feeding except for one issue. Our resident robin (at least we think it's the same one) has a habit of flying in to the house! Our back door is open more than it's closed when it's not raining and this guy/girl is extremely relaxed. Flies in to the shed and the house, no panics, just sits on the counter top. It's not a big deal, but sometimes it gets confused between the open door and the closed window and we have to herd it out.

It seems to have complete trust in my 5 year old son, but is afraid of us adults. It's cute and nice and I'm guessing it's not a problem?? We were thinking it may have been a pet or a caged bird at some stage?

Anyone experienced similar situations, again, it's not a problem, he/she does tiny poo's, but that's ok... is it just one of those nice things that happen? I think it is.

Robins are lovely. Some of them are just naturally tame. The risk is that if they feel safe around you, they're not on the lookout for cats or dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

One thing I don't enjoy in relation to the birds is the poo everywhere! Maybe it's a birds way of saying compliments to the chef!

Advertisement