Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics Card upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

If you give info on your budget and what your trying to achieve (what games you want to play at what settings) that'll help the likes of KO help you. More than likely gonna have to switch your platform to Ryzen though if you're looking to play modern games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

as it's an 11 year old processor you are going to run into problems with newer games even with a new gpu so I would advise saving for a replacement

if you do want to continue using it have a look here for some tips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really need a new computer, there is zero point putting any new card in that machine.

The X4 965 doesn't even have some instruction sets needed to play some new games so some won't even start.

€600 would buy a new PC that would be as better now than that one was in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Don't want to ambush the thread but I am also looking to upgrade current GPU below

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ftw-gaming-acx-30-8gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-2560-core-1721mhz-gpu-1860

I have a new build completed with the GPU the last item to decide on

I was thinking of the following

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-oc-3x-white-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-2560-core-160

Just wondering how much of a performance upgrade am I getting and is it worth the pricetag ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Macker1 wrote: »
    Don't want to ambush the thread but I am also looking to upgrade current GPU below

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ftw-gaming-acx-30-8gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-2560-core-1721mhz-gpu-1860

I have a new build completed with the GPU the last item to decide on

I was thinking of the following

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-oc-3x-white-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-2560-core-160

Just wondering how much of a performance upgrade am I getting and is it worth the pricetag ??
    Around 29% going by TPU charts: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839

Or around the same as going to a 1080 Ti.
    I would buy an EVGA model though, as new cards are expected in September; that way you can use the 90 day step-up program.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for the comments above. I'm not a huge gamer, tbh. I've COD WWII that can't be played on the existing machine. It requires a 2GB card. I'd be fairly open minded on budget, though it's a lot just to play a flippin' game! Also don't have space for a new PC, unless I just strip the old case of everything and keep the recent SSD and old HD and rebuild from there. Or new case and parts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Thanks for the comments above. I'm not a huge gamer, tbh. I've COD WWII that can't be played on the existing machine. It requires a 2GB card. I'd be fairly open minded on budget, though it's a lot just to play a flippin' game! Also don't have space for a new PC, unless I just strip the old case of everything and keep the recent SSD and old HD and rebuild from there. Or new case and parts...

If you just want a GPU then a second hand gtx 970, rx 470, 480 or 570 is the most I'd suggest pairing with that system. They can be had for cheaps on ebay.

But as pointed out by another poster that processor lacks some modern instruction sets and you might have strange issues running cod wwii and other modern games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks. A top end processor was never a priority for the existing machine. It would be good to have something with a bit of oomph. Perhaps a project to come back to in the future.

Not looked into other modern games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Even a first gen Ryzen 1600 would be such a massive upgrade for you compared to the CPU you currently have. And a cheap motherboard to go with. Maybe a A series rather than a B series MB. Some cheap RAM and then the only big expense would be a GPU but you don't need to go mad so a reasonably priced on or even second hand one would do.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Ryzen until I started this thread, not I follow processor news. Are you thinking more RAM in addition to the existing 8GB? What sort of MB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Ryzen until I started this thread, not I follow processor news. Are you thinking more RAM in addition to the existing 8GB? What sort of MB?

The RAM type has changed with the new processors from DDR3 to DDR4, you'd have to buy new RAM. Make sure you buy in pairs. 16GB would be ideal. 8GB is fine for non/light gaming use.

Where are people ordering from, btw? Original parts were from hardwareversand which is gone.

https://www.scan.co.uk is one I've seen mentioned.

For this situation
    GPU - suggestions here
    RAM?
    MB?
    CPU - Ryzen

Amazon.co.uk/.de either one

overclockers.co.uk fast two day delivery well if you order near weekend it will obviously be longer

And a few other uk based computer parts places. Can't think of their names from the top of my head.

OK. Let's see.

RAM https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/memory/ddr4
    Any preference?

Or Amazon.

Ryzen 1600

GPU

Or ebay, second hand.

Somewhat guesswork.

Motherboard?

Keyboard is a fairly lumpy yolk too.

Thanks wotzgoingon.

What's more essential, the GPU works with the motherboard or CPU? Don't want to go wrong.

I've searched 'GPU for Ryzen 5 2600X' and 'GPU for B450M-DS3H AMD B450'.

https://www.xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-for-ryzen-5-2600-2600x/

Any GPU would be compatible.

The 5500XT is pretty good as it's new and not a few years old like the cards in the link you just posted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082P6MXLK?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-5500-xt-pulse-4096mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-395-sp.html

Probably order the one from Overclockers if you are thinking about getting it as a few of the other items I linked were from there as it would save on shipping.

Sorry forgot to add the CPU I linked will work out of the box with that motherboard I linked as it is a MB that was released for that CPU.

£335.84 for those on Overlockers, mind you, that was quoting £29.40 for delivery. I'll reduce that to the two day one.

That's without a CPU, will I just go with the one you linked from Amazon 2600X or try to find an equivalent on Overlockers?

£335.84 for those on Overlockers, mind you, that was quoting £29.40 for delivery. I'll reduce that to the two day one.

That's without a CPU, will I just go with the one you linked from Amazon 2600X or try to find an equivalent on Overlockers?

They are not on overclockers so just pick it up from amazon. Yea the two day delivery is the option you want. And it really does arrive in two days.

• Advertisement

+1 on amazon, had the build from hell recently and they are great on returns.

+1 on amazon, had the build from hell recently and they are great on returns.

I meant order that stuff from overclockers minus the CPU which is not on there.

I meant order that stuff from overclockers minus the CPU which is not on there.

Unless you're making a big saving I'd order it all from Amazon personally. Delivery might take a little longer but the returns policy is excellent.

Edit: Don't use the currency converter thinggy.

Thanks all. I've ordered from Overclockers. :)

Amazon won't ship the CPU here. Such nonsense as I ordered a Crucial SSD from them a few weeks ago.

Parcel Motel, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

The RX580 8GB is the same price as the 5500XT 4GB and a better buy as they're basically the same card, but the 580 has double the vram which makes a difference with modern games now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Pulse-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B071CQ5LRV/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rx+580&qid=1596104600&sr=8-4

Or else spend £20 extra and get the 8GB 5500XT.

Thanks all. I've ordered from Overclockers. :)

Amazon won't ship the CPU here. Such nonsense as I ordered a Crucial SSD from them a few weeks ago.

Parcel Motel, I guess.

Weird got mine a few weeks back no probs.

Did you post your build on here?

Did you post your build on here?

Not really, just the saga I had with 5700XTs. Got a working one eventually and have to say I'm very happy with it. Must throw up some pictures in all its RGB glory.

Homelander wrote: »
    The RX580 8GB is the same price as the 5500XT 4GB and a better buy as they're basically the same card, but the 580 has double the vram which makes a difference with modern games now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Pulse-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B071CQ5LRV/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rx+580&qid=1596104600&sr=8-4

Or else spend £20 extra and get the 8GB 5500XT.

Thanks.

Well, the Overclockers order shipped earlier on, so send their GPU back and get that Amazon one, or just leave as is.

Put a SSD into it a few weeks ago, that cut the boot time in half. Will this come down more with a new CPU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It should do, depends on how fast the boards BIOS is too and the BIOS settings.

There's options like ultra fast boot that skips a lot of the post diagnostics.

Well, the GPU, RAM and motherboard from Overclockers arrived. Odd since the tracking said they wouldn't be here until Tuesday.

One frustration is half the time shippers don't seem to bother with the Eircode, even though I always provide it.

Well, the GPU, RAM and motherboard from Overclockers arrived. Odd since the tracking said they wouldn't be here until Tuesday.

One frustration is half the time shippers don't seem to bother with the Eircode, even though I always provide it.

I told you they done quick shipping.

Should there be screws with the motherboard, btw? Didn't spot any in the box. And thermal paste with the CPU (when it arrives)?

Should there be screws with the motherboard, btw? Didn't spot any in the box. And thermal paste with the CPU (when it arrives)?

No the screws come with the case. But I think you are re-using your old so the screws you take out don't lose them when you are swapping motherboards.

No thermal paste either but if using the stock cooler I think there is some already on the bottom of cooler. I'm not 100% on that but some do come with paste on bottom of cooler.

• Advertisement

Stock coolers have paste pre applied. Dont stick your fingers in it like I always do.

And now the Amazon stuff has hit Parcel Motel. Those courier pixies are sure working fast! :eek: Could tackle it tonight I guess, but it's pretty overcast and more natural light would be better.

Well, good news/bad news.

It was rather prolonged. First issue, I was trying to use the Evo cooler fan again and couldn't get it on to the motherboard. Took a while to realise that was a non-starter. Then the GPU, thought I had mad a mess of it. Turned the computer on 3 times...no power. Remembered I had forgotten those tiny little cables. Fifth attempt...we have power and a screen.

The power button used to be solid blue, iirc. Now it just flashes.

I've not yet put the side panels back on, or installed COD yet. I was able to hook up the USB 3 header which wasn't an option on the previous system.

Recycle the old parts?
    Is the stock fan enough?

The Windows clock thinks it's after midnight. USB adapter for the internet is still dodgy as hell.

There are some errors in Device Manager. ASRock RAM Risk - is that the old mobo? And the new AMD is listed about 10 times?! Where is the GPU listed?

Do I poke around with the motherboard's CD in case I need to install something? What about drivers for the GPU?

Need to get some food, I'm wrecked. :o At one stage I thought I'd broken everything bar the RAM.

Well, good news/bad news.

It was rather prolonged. First issue, I was trying to use the Evo cooler fan again and couldn't get it on to the motherboard. Took a while to realise that was a non-starter. Then the GPU, thought I had mad a mess of it. Turned the computer on 3 times...no power. Remembered I had forgotten those tiny little cables. Fifth attempt...we have power and a screen.

The power button used to be solid blue, iirc. Now it just flashes.

I've not yet put the side panels back on, or installed COD yet. I was able to hook up the USB 3 header which wasn't an option on the previous system.

Recycle the old parts?
    Is the stock fan enough?

The Windows clock thinks it's after midnight. USB adapter for the internet is still dodgy as hell.

There are some errors in Device Manager. ASRock RAM Risk - is that the old mobo? And the new AMD is listed about 10 times?! Where is the GPU listed?

Do I poke around with the motherboard's CD in case I need to install something? What about drivers for the GPU?

Need to get some food, I'm wrecked. :o At one stage I thought I'd broken everything bar the RAM.

You should have done a fresh install of Windows.

You should have done a fresh install of Windows.

So that it would think it's on the new drivers?

Fresh, as in, clean?

• Advertisement

The 12 CPU is normal that is the 6 cores and 12 threads.

Yea the drivers are different. So there would still be old drivers there getting messed up.

Fresh as in wipe the drive and new install. Backup files to external drive.

How many SSD's do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You should always do a new install of windows when changing motherboard/cpu. You could probably clean out the old drivers but it's generally best practice to do a fresh install as there will be remnants in the registry unless you can find some software to remove it or know your way around the registry.

If you have more than one SSD/HDD just install the one you want Windows on and install and then after install shut down PC and connect up the second and use the second one to save files you want from the drive that will get wiped.

Cheers. Only one SSD. Still have the old HD, but don't have it hooked up. Have a drive that's used for watching TV, can dump photos and stuff onto that.

If I do connect the SSD and old HD at the same time, I see. The old HD was partitioned and cloned to copy stuff onto the SSD - this was a few weeks ago.

C Local Disk
    D - optical
    E New Volume
    F System Reserved
    G Local Disk
    H New Volume

Wipe the two of them so. You can wipe the HD later and just wipe and fresh install Windows on the SSD.

What's the best way to wipe both? Redoing 10 now on the SSD anyway.

What's the best way to wipe both? Redoing 10 now on the SSD anyway.

You can wipe the HD when you install it onto the new machine. Just go to disk management. The windows 10 media will wipe it for you when installing it when you set it to. Quick basic wipe is enough.

Something doesn't feel right for the fresh install here. It wiped Pictures, Documents, etc, but the drive (SSD) is still split into C and E. C contains stuff that seems to have been there from before. AdwCleaner (from 2014), AMD, cclass, EEK, found.002, etc, and Program Files/Program Files (X86), an old software folder, Users, Windows, Windows.old.

Dunno if that sounds right.

No sign of a disc showing up when I stick in a CD. It's still defaulting to several hours ahead and Night Light doesn't seem to work.

Might be best to start over again tomorrow.

Something doesn't feel right for the fresh install here. It wiped Pictures, Documents, etc, but the drive (SSD) is still split into C and E. C contains stuff that seems to have been there from before. AdwCleaner (from 2014), AMD, cclass, EEK, found.002, etc, and Program Files/Program Files (X86), an old software folder, Users, Windows, Windows.old.

Dunno if that sounds right.

No sign of a disc showing up when I stick in a CD. It's still defaulting to several hours ahead and Night Light doesn't seem to work.

Might be best to start over again tomorrow.

You forgot to wipe the SSD at the start of install. You have to do it manually when you are choosing the drive at start of installation.

Format the drive is the correct term.

That'll solve possible registry hiccups, etc, too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement