Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, the GPU, RAM and motherboard from Overclockers arrived. Odd since the tracking said they wouldn't be here until Tuesday.

One frustration is half the time shippers don't seem to bother with the Eircode, even though I always provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well, the GPU, RAM and motherboard from Overclockers arrived. Odd since the tracking said they wouldn't be here until Tuesday.

One frustration is half the time shippers don't seem to bother with the Eircode, even though I always provide it.

I told you they done quick shipping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should there be screws with the motherboard, btw? Didn't spot any in the box. And thermal paste with the CPU (when it arrives)?

Should there be screws with the motherboard, btw? Didn't spot any in the box. And thermal paste with the CPU (when it arrives)?

No the screws come with the case. But I think you are re-using your old so the screws you take out don't lose them when you are swapping motherboards.

No thermal paste either but if using the stock cooler I think there is some already on the bottom of cooler. I'm not 100% on that but some do come with paste on bottom of cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stock coolers have paste pre applied. Dont stick your fingers in it like I always do.

And now the Amazon stuff has hit Parcel Motel. Those courier pixies are sure working fast! :eek: Could tackle it tonight I guess, but it's pretty overcast and more natural light would be better.

Well, good news/bad news.

It was rather prolonged. First issue, I was trying to use the Evo cooler fan again and couldn't get it on to the motherboard. Took a while to realise that was a non-starter. Then the GPU, thought I had mad a mess of it. Turned the computer on 3 times...no power. Remembered I had forgotten those tiny little cables. Fifth attempt...we have power and a screen.

The power button used to be solid blue, iirc. Now it just flashes.

I've not yet put the side panels back on, or installed COD yet. I was able to hook up the USB 3 header which wasn't an option on the previous system.

Recycle the old parts?
    Is the stock fan enough?

The Windows clock thinks it's after midnight. USB adapter for the internet is still dodgy as hell.

There are some errors in Device Manager. ASRock RAM Risk - is that the old mobo? And the new AMD is listed about 10 times?! Where is the GPU listed?

Do I poke around with the motherboard's CD in case I need to install something? What about drivers for the GPU?

Need to get some food, I'm wrecked. :o At one stage I thought I'd broken everything bar the RAM.

Well, good news/bad news.

It was rather prolonged. First issue, I was trying to use the Evo cooler fan again and couldn't get it on to the motherboard. Took a while to realise that was a non-starter. Then the GPU, thought I had mad a mess of it. Turned the computer on 3 times...no power. Remembered I had forgotten those tiny little cables. Fifth attempt...we have power and a screen.

The power button used to be solid blue, iirc. Now it just flashes.

I've not yet put the side panels back on, or installed COD yet. I was able to hook up the USB 3 header which wasn't an option on the previous system.

Recycle the old parts?
    Is the stock fan enough?

The Windows clock thinks it's after midnight. USB adapter for the internet is still dodgy as hell.

There are some errors in Device Manager. ASRock RAM Risk - is that the old mobo? And the new AMD is listed about 10 times?! Where is the GPU listed?

Do I poke around with the motherboard's CD in case I need to install something? What about drivers for the GPU?

Need to get some food, I'm wrecked. :o At one stage I thought I'd broken everything bar the RAM.

You should have done a fresh install of Windows.

You should have done a fresh install of Windows.

So that it would think it's on the new drivers?

Fresh, as in, clean?

• Advertisement

The 12 CPU is normal that is the 6 cores and 12 threads.

Yea the drivers are different. So there would still be old drivers there getting messed up.

Fresh as in wipe the drive and new install. Backup files to external drive.

How many SSD's do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You should always do a new install of windows when changing motherboard/cpu. You could probably clean out the old drivers but it's generally best practice to do a fresh install as there will be remnants in the registry unless you can find some software to remove it or know your way around the registry.

If you have more than one SSD/HDD just install the one you want Windows on and install and then after install shut down PC and connect up the second and use the second one to save files you want from the drive that will get wiped.

Cheers. Only one SSD. Still have the old HD, but don't have it hooked up. Have a drive that's used for watching TV, can dump photos and stuff onto that.

If I do connect the SSD and old HD at the same time, I see. The old HD was partitioned and cloned to copy stuff onto the SSD - this was a few weeks ago.

C Local Disk
    D - optical
    E New Volume
    F System Reserved
    G Local Disk
    H New Volume

Wipe the two of them so. You can wipe the HD later and just wipe and fresh install Windows on the SSD.

What's the best way to wipe both? Redoing 10 now on the SSD anyway.

What's the best way to wipe both? Redoing 10 now on the SSD anyway.

You can wipe the HD when you install it onto the new machine. Just go to disk management. The windows 10 media will wipe it for you when installing it when you set it to. Quick basic wipe is enough.

Something doesn't feel right for the fresh install here. It wiped Pictures, Documents, etc, but the drive (SSD) is still split into C and E. C contains stuff that seems to have been there from before. AdwCleaner (from 2014), AMD, cclass, EEK, found.002, etc, and Program Files/Program Files (X86), an old software folder, Users, Windows, Windows.old.

Dunno if that sounds right.

No sign of a disc showing up when I stick in a CD. It's still defaulting to several hours ahead and Night Light doesn't seem to work.

Might be best to start over again tomorrow.

Something doesn't feel right for the fresh install here. It wiped Pictures, Documents, etc, but the drive (SSD) is still split into C and E. C contains stuff that seems to have been there from before. AdwCleaner (from 2014), AMD, cclass, EEK, found.002, etc, and Program Files/Program Files (X86), an old software folder, Users, Windows, Windows.old.

Dunno if that sounds right.

No sign of a disc showing up when I stick in a CD. It's still defaulting to several hours ahead and Night Light doesn't seem to work.

Might be best to start over again tomorrow.

You forgot to wipe the SSD at the start of install. You have to do it manually when you are choosing the drive at start of installation.

Format the drive is the correct term.

That'll solve possible registry hiccups, etc, too?

• Advertisement

Should do.

I'm doing something wrong at every turn. For a pretty straightforward project I sure know how to make a mess.

Tried to delete the partitions on the SSD. Couldn't reclaim the old space easily, Disk Management wouldn't let me bring it across onto C. I downloaded some free tool to resolve this. Created a Win 10 USB. Got so far, then it was throwing an error saying it wouldn't let me install on the 930GB partition.

I'm back on the old HD now and will probably have to clone everything again which will take at least 4 hours. Then disconnect the old HD. Then do a fresh install, if it will allow me, on the SSD. What a disaster.

It's asking for the activation key too.

/head desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just click 'I do not have a licence key'.

Are you not just selecting advanced install and deleting any partitions on the SSD? Once everything is installed copy over any files you need from the HDD.

Obviously deleting a partition = data gone.

Just click 'I do not have a licence key'.

Are you not just selecting advanced install and deleting any partitions on the SSD? Once everything is installed copy over any files you need from the HDD.

Obviously deleting a partition = data gone.

During the clean Windows install from the USB? Yeah, but then it wouldn't let me install on the 930GB space - format/delete didn't work.

It's saying 27 minutes now with Acronis, so hopefully it'll be quicker this time. Possibly another benefit of the USB 3 header.

Think I've the original Windows 7 key here somewhere.

Cloned to HD to SSD. Disconnected the HD.

Here's the crap I was seeing earlier. It's back.

Where do you want to install Windows?

Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved 350 MB.
    Drive 0 Unallocated space 581GB
    Drive 0 Partition 2: New Volume 390 GB

Windows can't be installed on any of these.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected risk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks.

FFS.

Off to Youtube I go. Some much for an easy day.

OK, got sorted...somewhat. The ever reliable Britec09 on Youtube. Windows is now installed on the SSD. Installed browsers, Adobe Reader, etc. Copied over documents and pictures.

However, the optical drive isn't working. Be it the Gigabyte CD or a music CD, nothing. Can't install COD without that. The tray opens, but nothing activates.

BIOS, really have no clue what I'm doing there. In the menu it says it's on version F50 and F51 is available from the Gigabyte website, just out there from early July. https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Boot option 1 is Windows Boot Manager and the Crucial SSD
    Boot option is 2 PO - Crucial SSD.
    Boot option 3 - disabled.

Akaik, no errors in Device Manager.

Where do I stand with the GPU and see what it's up to, the drivers, etc?

The clock is right this time, at least.

Where do I stand with the GPU and see what it's up to, the drivers, etc?

The clock is right this time, at least.

Go on the AMD website and enter in the card details and download the latest driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Cheers. :) Got the AMD drivers and I was able to update the BIOS via USB stick, now on version F51.

Stumped on the DVD drive, though.

Cheers. :) Got the AMD drivers and I was able to update the BIOS via USB stick, now on version F51.

Stumped on the DVD drive, though.

You do have all the connection connected. Power and SATA?

Just start with the basics make sure they are connected and connected fully, like plugged in all the way.

• Advertisement

Cheers, it was the SATA. I'll sort out the cable management a little differently to how it was before.

Just need to sort out my Steam account and hopefully can start killing Nazis thereafter.

Many thanks for all the posts here.

Advertisement