Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics Card upgrade

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Should do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm doing something wrong at every turn. For a pretty straightforward project I sure know how to make a mess.

Tried to delete the partitions on the SSD. Couldn't reclaim the old space easily, Disk Management wouldn't let me bring it across onto C. I downloaded some free tool to resolve this. Created a Win 10 USB. Got so far, then it was throwing an error saying it wouldn't let me install on the 930GB partition.

I'm back on the old HD now and will probably have to clone everything again which will take at least 4 hours. Then disconnect the old HD. Then do a fresh install, if it will allow me, on the SSD. What a disaster.

It's asking for the activation key too.

/head desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just click 'I do not have a licence key'.

Are you not just selecting advanced install and deleting any partitions on the SSD? Once everything is installed copy over any files you need from the HDD.

Obviously deleting a partition = data gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just click 'I do not have a licence key'.

Are you not just selecting advanced install and deleting any partitions on the SSD? Once everything is installed copy over any files you need from the HDD.

Obviously deleting a partition = data gone.

During the clean Windows install from the USB? Yeah, but then it wouldn't let me install on the 930GB space - format/delete didn't work.

It's saying 27 minutes now with Acronis, so hopefully it'll be quicker this time. Possibly another benefit of the USB 3 header.

Think I've the original Windows 7 key here somewhere.

Cloned to HD to SSD. Disconnected the HD.

Here's the crap I was seeing earlier. It's back.

Where do you want to install Windows?

Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved 350 MB.
    Drive 0 Unallocated space 581GB
    Drive 0 Partition 2: New Volume 390 GB

Windows can't be installed on any of these.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected risk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks.

FFS.

Off to Youtube I go. Some much for an easy day.

OK, got sorted...somewhat. The ever reliable Britec09 on Youtube. Windows is now installed on the SSD. Installed browsers, Adobe Reader, etc. Copied over documents and pictures.

However, the optical drive isn't working. Be it the Gigabyte CD or a music CD, nothing. Can't install COD without that. The tray opens, but nothing activates.

BIOS, really have no clue what I'm doing there. In the menu it says it's on version F50 and F51 is available from the Gigabyte website, just out there from early July. https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Boot option 1 is Windows Boot Manager and the Crucial SSD
    Boot option is 2 PO - Crucial SSD.
    Boot option 3 - disabled.

Akaik, no errors in Device Manager.

Where do I stand with the GPU and see what it's up to, the drivers, etc?

The clock is right this time, at least.

Where do I stand with the GPU and see what it's up to, the drivers, etc?

The clock is right this time, at least.

Go on the AMD website and enter in the card details and download the latest driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Cheers. :) Got the AMD drivers and I was able to update the BIOS via USB stick, now on version F51.

Stumped on the DVD drive, though.

Cheers. :) Got the AMD drivers and I was able to update the BIOS via USB stick, now on version F51.

Stumped on the DVD drive, though.

You do have all the connection connected. Power and SATA?

Just start with the basics make sure they are connected and connected fully, like plugged in all the way.

• Advertisement

Cheers, it was the SATA. I'll sort out the cable management a little differently to how it was before.

Just need to sort out my Steam account and hopefully can start killing Nazis thereafter.

Many thanks for all the posts here.

Just to report back. Seems to be going well. Feckin' 76 odd GB download for CoD. I do think the game may have a little stutter here and there which could be a performance issue, or else it's built into the game because of the story. I've only played for an hour or so and don't know if there's a pattern. Elsewhere, the machine is going well. Scanning documents into the printer - certainly faster in processing those.

I've not yet hooked up the old HD yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whats up all. I want to hijack this thread too.

Same question as everyone else. I want to upgrade my graphics card, but I am not sure whether I should be looking to upgrade the whole motherboard.

Mobo: MSI Intel Z270 PC MATE 7th/6th Gen USB2 Motherboard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4KIUWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Processor: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz QuadCore 6 MB Cache CPU - Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRRPPQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ideally, I'd spend 400 or 500 euro with the aim to get a very good FPS while playing first person shooter games at moderate settings on an Ultra Wide HD monitor.

Either a 2070 or something from the next gen of nvidia cards released in September (anyone who has thoughts on that decision would be very much appreciated too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You don't need to upgrade unless the next-gen cards require more bandwidth than PCIe 3.0 x16 can provide (very unlikely).

However, it's possible that you'll be held back by the 4core/4thread i5 CPU you have; at which point switching to AMD is a good option - Ryzen 3-3300X, 3600 or 3700X (unless you find i7-7700K for under 150eur).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You don't need to upgrade unless the next-gen cards require more bandwidth than PCIe 3.0 x16 can provide (very unlikely).

However, it's possible that you'll be held back by the 4core/4thread i5 CPU you have; at which point switching to AMD is a good option - Ryzen 3-3300X, 3600 or 3700X (unless you find i7-7700K for under 150eur).

Great advice. Does a CPU upgrade require a different socket and therefore different motherboard?

Yes. You'll need a new Motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not a question of possible, most of the latest FPS games have hiccups on an i5 like that.

Battlefield or Modern Warfare are two examples of games which really don't like 4/4 processors and are frequently pegged at 100% with stutters.

I had DDR3 (8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9) leftover from the original build I referenced in the OP, since the upgrade moved things to DDR4. I tried throwing that old RAM into this other old build which used 8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9.

It showed as 12GB and not 16. I put in the x 2 8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9 and Windows only recognised 8GB, so I went back to the 12GB. Not a huge issue, really, still a nippy enough yolk.

Was also gonna use the old GPU, but the monitor is VGA.

Advertisement