Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flybe on the brink of collapse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What happens to future flights. Any money back

From an airline that owes millions upon millions?
    Not a chance.

But as virtually all tickets are paid by card, the built in insurance will ensure a refund via a chargeback

With the combination of negative publicity about their finances and the coronavirus causing a huge drop in travel, it was not surprising that they have gone bust

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Website no longer working

www.flybe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Looks like my flights this year may be cursed. Due to go to Treviso in a fortnight and then had flybe flights to Cardiff in June booked. Doubt anyone will pick up the Dublin to Cardiff route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Be interesting to see if aer lingus are interested in purchasing some smaller aircraft to expand routes from Cork to continental Europe or from dublin to a couple of regional airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's a massive blow to NOC, based on Wikipedia info they flew 100k pax through there in 2018 which would represent 16% of annual passengers (from 2017).

That's 54 Dash 8's hitting the market too so I'd imagine lease rates for those will plummet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Will have to wait-and-see if Ryanair and EasyJet step in to take over some of the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

cson wrote: »
    That's a massive blow to NOC, based on Wikipedia info they flew 100k pax through there in 2018 which would represent 16% of annual passengers (from 2017).

That's 54 Dash 8's hitting the market too so I'd imagine lease rates for those will plummet.

How easy is it for someone to pick them up cheaply and start to service Flybe’s profitable routes?

Look at the departures board for Belfast City Airport.

If they’re not careful, they could follow Flybe into administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Look at the departures board for Belfast City Airport.

If they’re not careful, they could follow Flybe into administration.

Southampton Airport is even worse.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

What will happen to codeshare flights operated by other airlines? I see someone called Blue Islands operating flights with BE flight numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Noxegon wrote: »
    Southampton Airport is even worse.

Flybe were around 80% of BHD’s operation, and 95% of SOU’s

Belfast have posted a statement saying they are already in talks with other airlines, but even then I expect only a fraction of the 14 routes and the frequencies Flybe operates them at will ever be picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Dub SOU will be a big gap - EI regional?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Dub SOU will be a big gap - EI regional?

If it makes money it'll surely be filled. A family member uses it twice a week every week and was saying only the other day that its always full. Said one of the crew told her during the tax bailout issues a few weeks back that its one of their most profitable routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What will happen to codeshare flights operated by other airlines? I see someone called Blue Islands operating flights with BE flight numbers.

Blue Islands are a Channel Islands based airline flying to and from UK airports which, after a franchise agreement were sold via Flybe’s website.

They will now revert to operating as Blue Islands flights once again - that will at least reduce the impact of the Flybe collapse on the Channel Islands.

Other airports such as Southampton, Exeter and Newquay are not so fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

several companies based along the UK south coast have offices in Dublin

Also Exeter/Newquay is/was a lifeline airport into Cornwall/Southwest as it takes so long to get anywhere else and rail prices in the UK are eyewateringly expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So do I get a refund now for my September flights to Southampton or see if the routes are picked up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Nal wrote: »
    So do I get a refund now for my September flights to Southampton or see if the routes are picked up?

Refund from card provider. If the routes are resumed by someone else they won't be honouring Flybe bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Even if the routes are picked up, your tickets are worthless. You'll need to do a charge back through your debit/credit card.

All the information you require is here - https://www.caa.co.uk/News/Advice-to-UK-consumers-following-Flybe-entering-administration/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If the routes are picked up by another airline you won’t automatically get a ticket with them, if it’s another company (which it will be) you’ll have to buy a new ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thanks folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loganair picking up some of the Flybe routes from March 23rd, for example Aberdeen and Inverness from Belfast City.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good news for the Scottish airports
    Loganair wrote:
    LOGANAIR STEPS IN TO SAFEGUARD UK AIR ROUTES AFTER FLYBE COLLAPSE
    Glasgow, 5 March 2020

Loganair, Scotland’s Airline, has reacted to the closure of Flybe by announcing plans to safeguard UK regional connectivity by taking up 16 routes formerly flown by Flybe. The airline will be adding nearly 400 new flights each week and has opened a special recruitment line for former Flybe employees seeking to continuing their aviation careers with Loganair.

The 16 routes – from existing Loganair base airports at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness and Newcastle – will be launched progressively over the next four months. Flights on the first and largest group of these key air routes will commence as early as Monday 16 March. All flights are already on sale at www.loganair.co.uk and via travel agent systems.

The routes are:
    Route between Flights commence Lead in fare
    One-way Outline of Loganair service
    Aberdeen & Belfast City 16 March £ 49.99 Daily ERJ service
    Aberdeen & Birmingham 16 March £ 57.99 Up to 3 x daily ERJ service
    Aberdeen & Jersey 09 May £ 79.99 Saturday ATR72 service
    Aberdeen & Manchester 16 March £ 57.99 4 x daily ERJ service
    More seats with 4x daily ATR72 service from 1 September
    Edinburgh & Cardiff 23 March £ 49.99 Daily ERJ service
    More flights with 10 x weekly ERJ from 1 September
    Edinburgh & Exeter 23 March £ 54.99 Daily ERJ service (excl Wed)
    More seats with daily ATR72 service from 6 July
    Edinburgh & Manchester 23 March £ 49.99 Up to 4 x daily ERJ service
    Edinburgh & Newquay 20 June £ 69.99 2 x weekly AT7 service
    Edinburgh & Southampton 15 June £ 54.99 Up to 4 x daily AT7 service
    Glasgow & Exeter 30 March £ 54.99 Daily ERJ service
    More seats with daily ATR72 service from 6 July
    Glasgow & Southampton 30 March £ 54.99 3 x daily ERJ service
    More flights & seats with 4 x daily ATR72 service from 6 July
    Inverness & Belfast City 23 March £ 49.99 Daily Saab 340 service
    Inverness & Birmingham 16 March £ 54.99 4 x weekly ERJ service
    More flights with daily ERJ service from 23 March
    Inverness & Jersey 30 May £ 79.99 Saturday ATR72 service
    Newcastle & Exeter 6 July £ 54.99 Daily ERJ service
    Newcastle & Southampton 23 March £ 54.99 3 x daily ERJ service
    [Aircraft – ERJ is an Embraer Regional Jet with 49 or 37 seats; AT7 is an ATR72 with 70 seats; SF3 is a Saab 340 with 33 seats.]

All Loganair fares include a free hold baggage allowance, allocated seating and in-flight refreshments. Loganair is also one of few UK airlines to offer discounted fares for children and a free baggage allowance for infants, even if travelling on a parent’s lap.

Loganair’s Chief Executive Jonathan Hinkles said:

“The collapse of a long-standing airline like Flybe marks a desperately sad day, especially for the airline’s dedicated team of employees and for customers facing disruption to their journeys. By stepping in quickly with a comprehensive plan, Loganair is aiming to maintain essential air connectivity within the UK regions to keep customers flying, and to offer new employment to former Flybe staff members who are facing an uncertain future today.”

Customers formerly booked on Flybe services on the same routes will need to make new bookings at www.loganair.co.uk, and obtain a refund via their payment card provider for tickets booked with Flybe. In common with all other airlines, Loganair has no access to Flybe systems or customer data to be able to facilitate re-bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are Ryanair likely to fill any of their routes or is this too small a fish for them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are Ryanair likely to fill any of their routes or is this too small a fish for them

Some possibly, however likely will be very few if any.

Good news for the Scottish airports

Where are they getting the aircraft to do that so quick? Leases or are they getting ex Flybe aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Some possibly, however likely will be very few if any.

Aye most of the Flybe fleet are Bombardier Dash 8 Q400c's seating less than 100 passengers, unless the route has multiple daily flights or extremely high load factors, it's hard to see how a Ryanair 737NG could run most of Flybe's routes profitably given most of FR's 737-800's seat 186 odd.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Where are they getting the aircraft to do that so quick? Leases or are they getting ex Flybe aircraft?

They have ATRs arriving with the intent of replacing the Saabs, I suspect they'll hang on a bit longer now.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye most of the Flybe fleet are Bombardier Dash 8 Q400c's seating less than 100 passengers, unless the route has multiple daily flights or extremely high load factors, it's hard to see how a Ryanair 737NG could run most of Flybe's routes profitably given most of FR's 737-800's seat 186 odd.

Belfast City to a London Airport? They’ve run the route to Stansted in the past and I think pulled out due to charges.

Belfast City must be desperate now, and Ryanair often takes others’ desperation to their advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Ryanair have pretty much got rid of all their UK domestic routes, blaming it on APD / unprofitable market / anything else under the sun. I can’t see them returning to it, particularly given the circumstances right now. Belfast City’s runway is more than adequate for the 738 on domestic routes and when they did operate there previously, the initial passenger cap was quickly scrapped and they filled the aircraft as performance wasn’t an issue for short sectors.

Loganair have undergone massive expansion in the last two years. They went from having no jets to 20 ERJs in 18 months, and are still finding their way with them. They’ll have been well aware of Flybe’s problems and already looked into what profitable routes they could operate should BEE go bust, hence have managed to act so quickly in releasing details. The 16 routes all start within the next four months, with stepping up frequencies and aircraft changes as the fleet changes continue.

• Advertisement

Ryanair have pretty much got rid of all their UK domestic routes, blaming it on APD / unprofitable market / anything else under the sun. I can’t see them returning to it, particularly given the circumstances right now. Belfast City’s runway is more than adequate for the 738 on domestic routes and when they did operate there previously, the initial passenger cap was quickly scrapped and they filled the aircraft as performance wasn’t an issue for short sectors.

Loganair have undergone massive expansion in the last two years. They went from having no jets to 20 ERJs in 18 months, and are still finding their way with them. They’ll have been well aware of Flybe’s problems and already looked into what profitable routes they could operate should BEE go bust, hence have managed to act so quickly in releasing details. The 16 routes all start within the next four months, with stepping up frequencies and aircraft changes as the fleet changes continue.

The speed and scale of Loganairs response is impressive

Advertisement