Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bag of chips/chipper in the city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Vinnys in Dominick Street are the best for me.

As for Hooked I can't see why people rate that place so highly. I live next door and have been about 5-6 times and think it's average at best. Chips are regularly undercooked too from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Falf

Vinnies can be hit and miss...
    I must try the Oslo getting good reports on it, although not a chipper..

I was out saturday night and was back the west, I went for food after pub, tryed vinnies but it was full so I went over to the kebab house (brave move after the las time i was there) and got a chicken kebab meal, must say kebab wasn't bad at all although i wounldnt like to try there doner kebab not good from what i hear, chips i got with meal were rank preheated and full of grease, like the burger I got before, as I said before I think this place has out played its slef, a good fish & chip shop here would do well.. A gold mine I would think if the right on was there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Where's the best place for ribs?

Ribs in chippers/takeaways, na don't think so...

Falf wrote: »
    Vinnies can be hit and miss...
    I must try the Oslo getting good reports on it, although not a chipper..

I was out saturday night and was back the west, I went for food after pub, tryed vinnies but it was full so I went over to the kebab house (brave move after the las time i was there) and got a chicken kebab meal, must say kebab wasn't bad at all although i wounldnt like to try there doner kebab not good from what i hear, chips i got with meal were rank preheated and full of grease, like the burger I got before, as I said before I think this place has out played its slef, a good fish & chip shop here would do well.. A gold mine I would think if the right on was there...

???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why are you quoting and question mark-ing your own post, maybe ease off the chips and/or grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

???

Why are you ???ing your own post? Having second thoughts?

edit: what Ben said. Strangely enough page 4 wasn't there when I posted above even though he posted it hours earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Had bacon cheese chips in Vinnie's on Saturday night. My only complaint was that after I had finished eating them, I had to fight the urge to get MOAR!!! :pac:

Take it easy mr Ben and mr sandman,

??? Was meaning, what do you think of my post as regards to kebab house....

As for the chips and grease, isn't this what this form is about, finding out what chipper is best in Galway....

Nice chips = less grease....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The chips are okay there, but ye have got to get Chicken Goujons in Kettle of Fish

Must be made from fecking STALLION chickens

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Jack Jordan's are mank. Norios are good.

LOL... Good one mr wp rathead, ha I wonder is it chicken...

As for Norio's, yes your spot on, there chips are great, there food is very good iv yet to get a complaint bout them,

I voted Nicko's in cleargalway the best chipper...

There much same but I prefer nicko's...

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The chips are okay there, but ye have got to get Chicken Goujons in Kettle of Fish

Amazing when fresh, rubber when not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ok ya have to explain that? What are "fecking STALLION chickens" like ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ok ya have to explain that? What are "fecking STALLION chickens" like ?:)

Basically they are massive in compared to standard Goujons
    The batter on them is amazing

I got them twice Ben, both times they were made to order so can't comment on ones that were left out for a while :)

I got them twice Ben, both times they were made to order so can't comment on ones that were left out for a while :)[/

Never had them, but gona giv them a try,

Salthill fish and chip did nice fish goujons when it first opened,
    But from what I'm hearing ther food's not as good as it was when fist opened..

Defo going to kettel of fish in next few days....

I got them twice Ben, both times they were made to order so can't comment on ones that were left out for a while :)

Ah yeah 80-90% of the time they're great,just the cupla times it happened in the three or so years I've been going there for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Got a bag of chips in Jack Jordan's a while back when I was passing. They were grand but it was the smallest bag of chips I've ever gotten from a chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Aroma in Headford do the best chips in County Galway hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm going to be racking up the mileage on the car when visiting Oranmore, Claregalway and Headford for bags of chips :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I'm going to be racking up the mileage on the car when visiting Oranmore, Claregalway and Headford for bags of chips :D

Make sure you haven't been drinkin' before you drive out there - Otherwise you might end up having to blow in the bag.......

Long Gone wrote: »
    Make sure you haven't been drinkin' before you drive out there - Otherwise you might end up having to blow in the bag.......

Lol... I'm bursting my side's..😏

Did someone say earlier that there's always one...

Anyone remember DELL RIO'S salthill in late 80s or the wimpy??
    Or back even more to late 70s.. anyone remember COURTNEY'S chipper back the west??

Great chippers back in the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Lol... I'm bursting my side's..ðŸ˜

Did someone say earlier that there's always one...

Anyone remember DELL RIO'S salthill in late 80s or the wimpy??
    Or back even more to late 70s.. anyone remember COURTNEY'S chipper back the west??

Great chippers back in the day..

Remember both del rios & the wimpy well

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

I don't reccommend eating your chips at the tables outside of McDonaghs. I tried to do so lately and I was pestered constantly by about 4 separate diseased looking pigeons, who landed on the table and came right up to my plate... shooing them away several times they kept coming back, right up to my food...take your eye off your plate for a second and they'll spoil your grub.

they used to have a chain link curtain to deal with this, but not any more. they need to bring it back ASAP because the pigeons are brazen and know the tables very well apparently.

put me off my food once the filthy pigeon landed right up beside the plate and started flapping its mite ridden wings over my chips...

the irony is you wouldn't get the pigeons getting this close to your food - close enough to contaminate it - if you were just sitting down at the spanish arch. the pigeons seem to know these tables...

If that's the case the should have something to deter them, lots of tourist would be
    Well pissed off if this was every day.

Wat I haven't seen in chippers here in ireland is to have the choice of
    The home cooked chips and the frozen ones in the one chipper, iv seen this in a shop in uk and they were Always busy, although ther food was good aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Rockin Joes / Eddies, lovely crispy chips with the blue cheese dip, lovely :) They have a great array of side dishes, hard to decide! You can half / half them too, love that place when you're starved

Ya there burgers are class, tha blue chees mmm...

And as I said sometimes frozen chips are way nicer...

I think a chipper that would give you the choice of frozen or fresh hand cut chips
    Would do well here....

I know that this is an old post but I think it's appropriate to continue it now that an old icon is about to close it's doors for good, yes costello's KEBAB HOUSE Dominic street is to close in the next 2 weeks for good... let's have your toughts on this old icon of galway city... chips weren't that bad here... we're they??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I know that this is an old post but I think it's appropriate to continue it now that an old icon is about to close it's doors for good, yes costello's KEBAB HOUSE Dominic street is to close in the next 2 weeks for good... let's have your toughts on this old icon of galway city... chips weren't that bad here... we're they??

It's own dedicated thread wasn't enough?

• Advertisement

If you don't like don't join in....

Advertisement