Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 toddlers dead after been left in car overnight.

• 12-06-2017 3:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I seen this over the weekend and I have to say I'm in complete shock at some of the things mentioned in the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4590570/Two-toddlers-die-left-car-15-hours.html

Basically she left a 2 year old and 1 year old in a car over night for 15 hours while she went into a house drinking.

She didnt report it and instead tried to hide it.

When in hospital told Drs that the kids fell unwell after smelling flowers at a local park.

All in all apparently she will only serve upto 2 years in prison :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Ah God the poor little things. God Bless them, RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I seen this over the weekend and I have to say I'm in complete shock at some of the things mentioned in the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4590570/Two-toddlers-die-left-car-15-hours.html

Basically she left a 2 year old and 1 year old in a car over night for 15 hours while she went into a house drinking.

She didnt report it and instead tried to hide it.

When in hospital told Drs that the kids fell unwell after smelling flowers at a local park.

All in all apparently she will only serve upto 2 years in prison :mad:

You've got your link mixed up, should be

[PHP]Article[/PHP]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the guy who left his child in the car here on the hottest day is not going to be prosecuted. how is this any different to this woman?
    pity they don't legislate for stupidity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mcgovern wrote: »
    You've got your link mixed up, should be

[PHP]Article[/PHP]

Fixed, cheers :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Sad story. Not the first. Probably not last.

• Advertisement

the guy who left his child in the car here on the hottest day is not going to be prosecuted. how is this any different to this woman?
    Making a mistake and having a brainfart is one thing. Deliberately doing it is another.
    However just to save anyone clicking on the DM link they weren't alone in the car for 15 hours. She left them overnight and allowed someone to sleep in the car for a bit. It was noon and 90 degrees when she let them out. Piece of ****.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Different country so different justice systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Wow. You're not gonna win any medals for sensitivity anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Completely different situation and circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Cases are nothing like each other in fairness.

That man made a mistake and forgot to drop his daughter off at creche.

This case was intentional neglect given that she ignored warnings and also didn't alert medical authorities for many hours after she knew they were ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

It's not just that, the two incidences are very different.

Murrisk wrote: »
    It's not just that, the two incidences are very different.

I totally agree. By right we should only be discussing what I posted in the OP and not bringing something up that has nothing to do with it at all.

But surely this is just as emotive and difficult a topic as the tragedy which occurred a few weeks ago? Yet that thread was closed and deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Such disregard for any human life, much less your own ****ing children, is just harrowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Eh, I don't think the fact that it's different countries is the reason why he's not being prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Both should be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Both should be prosecuted.

One is wilful neglect and covering up afterwards, the other is a genuine mistake, very different. Like running over a toddler and driving off vs not pulling your handbrake and your car rolls over a toddler. The result is the same but the crime is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Totally different situations. Can't you just drop it. I'm sure that poor father is suffering enough.

But surely this is just as emotive and difficult a topic as the tragedy which occurred a few weeks ago? Yet that thread was closed and deleted.

The other one was accident and people were being incredibly insensitive to that. Very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Trying to draw similarities is futile. One was deliberate, the other was a tragic mistake.
    Are people really going to try and drag up the story from a few weeks ago again? It has nothing to do with this.

• Advertisement

Murrisk wrote: »
    The other one was accident and people were being incredibly insensitive to that. Very different.

They are indeed very different. My heart broke for that man, his wife and poor baby. Now we have intentional neglect which has caused the death of two innocent children. I guess I was surprised to see a thread which isn't a million miles away in subject matter from one that was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sounds like it was deliberate. Leaving her two kids in a hot car overnight to hang out with her friends, shows not concern at all for their health and well being and completely neglects them. This is beyond f*cked up. Lock her up and throw away the key.

Also I can't help but blame her friends for not doing more. They knew what she was doing was wrong, but did nothing about it. She even allowed a guy to sleep in her car. Did he not notice the two toddlers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

And the two years thing isn't even correct.

It was 2 years for neglect but she was charged with that before they died. Now it's more likely she will be charged with manslaughter but that hasn't come to pass just yet.

They are indeed very different. My heart broke for that man, his wife and poor baby. Now we have intentional neglect which has caused the death of two innocent children. I guess I was surprised to see a thread which isn't a million miles away in subject matter from one that was closed.

But you've answered your own question in this very post. They are ostensibly close in subject but yet oh so disparate.

anna080 wrote: »
    Trying to draw similarities is futile. One was deliberate, the other was a tragic mistake.
    Are people really going to try and drag up the story from a few weeks ago again? It has nothing to do with this.

A lot of people were quite sore about that thread being closed, for some strange reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Every one of the scumbags at the party should be prosecuted. The evil wicked bitch that killed those beautiful little children should never again see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Sounds like it was deliberate. Leaving her two kids in a hot car overnight to hang out with her friends, shows not concern at all for their health and well being and completely neglects them. This is beyond f*cked up. Lock her up and throw away the key.

Also I can't help but blame her friends for not doing more. They knew what she was doing was wrong, but did nothing about it. She even allowed a guy to sleep in her car. Did he not notice the two toddlers?

From the sounds of it, that was to have someone keeping an eye on the kidlets. I got the impression that the "male friend" referenced (who was the one who eventually pushed the woman into bringing the poor kids to the hospital) was worried by the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he suggested it, since she didn't seem overly worried by it all. Although for god's sake, out of everyone there, did none of them have the brains to bring the children into the house?

Didn't do enough, no, and two children are dead. Same goes for the friend that was quoted anonymously regretting that s/he didn't call child protective services because she thought the kids were being either neglected or abused but didn't want to risk breaking up the family - "I never thought they'd die".

Hindsight is 20:20. I understand the difficulty of risking a friend's family on suspicion, but sadly, no-one stepped up enough and now two children are dead and their mother will be tried for their (awful) deaths. Death of heatstroke in what's basically a mobile oven is a terrible way for children to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Samaris wrote: »
    Although for god's sake, out of everyone there, did none of them have the brains to bring the children into the house?

It was reported that her friends asked her to bring the children into the house, and she refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Samaris wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, that was to have someone keeping an eye on the kidlets. I got the impression that the "male friend" referenced (who was the one who eventually pushed the woman into bringing the poor kids to the hospital) was worried by the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he suggested it, since she didn't seem overly worried by it all. Although for god's sake, out of everyone there, did none of them have the brains to bring the children into the house?

Didn't do enough, no, and two children are dead. Same goes for the friend that was quoted anonymously regretting that s/he didn't call child protective services because she thought the kids were being either neglected or abused but didn't want to risk breaking up the family - "I never thought they'd die".

Hindsight is 20:20. I understand the difficulty of risking a friend's family on suspicion, but sadly, no-one stepped up enough and now two children are dead and their mother will be tried for their (awful) deaths. Death of heatstroke in what's basically a mobile oven is a terrible way for children to die.

Yes the friends – who weren't that old — can't really be blamed. Hopefully the us justice system doesn't.

I swear I thought I saw that story a few years ago with the same picture of the woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Mods

The previous thread mentioned above was closed down for good reason. Let's not repeat the same trolling behaviour here.

Advertisement