Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of barbers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Why was my post deleted? It was a informative post that was related to the topic. No explanation given or PM sent, are the mods gone mad

Show some consistency please and stop with the agendas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Think there’s a new barber in Salthill beside Mochas, walked past and sign said open 7 days and there didn’t seem to be much of a queue.

Anyone been?

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Think there’s a new barber in Salthill beside Mochas, walked past and sign said open 7 days and there didn’t seem to be much of a queue.

Anyone been?

TbL
    My colleague was in there before lockdown, was very happy with the cut and the fact the pricelist was on the window. I dont think the prices have changed since then.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    My colleague was in there before lockdown, was very happy with the cut and the fact the pricelist was on the window. I dont think the prices have changed since then.

Thanks I’ll give him a go

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

New barber on the Cappagh Road, the Upper Cut.

Wonderful service. Book appointment online, pay online (€16). Park outside the door. No traffic or parking hassle. Done and dusted in 30 minutes.

?Cee?view wrote: »

Wonderful service. Book appointment online, pay online (€16). Park outside the door. No traffic or parking hassle. Done and dusted in 30 minutes.

Great name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

She used to work in kozzy’s knocknacarra

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    She used to work in kozzy’s knocknacarra

Yes, but the service is far superior to anything Kozzy's would do. No rushing you in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Anyone been in to the barber a few doors down from Mr.Price in Terryland?

That's my usual port of call - wondering has he increased his prices by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GALWAYGUY2019

would imagine barbers would average 2 cuts a hour if u take in there quiet periods. so €15 / €20 a hair cut isnt bad.

Consdering, wages, tax, vat, insurance, rent, rates, prsi, water rates plus the price of kiting out the place and im probably missing a few things.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »

Had my two sons in there for cuts, €25 in total and they’re both happy. Seems reasonable price to me

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

would imagine barbers would average 2 cuts a hour if u take in there quiet periods. so €15 / €20 a hair cut isnt bad.

Consdering, wages, tax, vat, insurance, rent, rates, prsi, water rates plus the price of kiting out the place and im probably missing a few things.

If a barber is only doing 2 cut's an hour they won't be long getting shown the door from the owner.

More realistic to do 4 an hour . I agree that there is a lot of overheads like any other business.

Yes, but the service is far superior to anything Kozzy's would do. No rushing you in and out.

I’ll tell you a story. I went in to her for a hair cut a few months back (not her exactly) but I used to get my haircut there because of Frank. So I sat down and she started combing through my hair & started smiling to herself as if to say, this lads hair is a mess.

She asked, “where did you get your haircut done last?” I said “here”. She said “really” at this stage the other 3 barbers were listening. She asked “who cut it?” I said “you did”

What’s my point? A barber should never try to make fun of anyone else’s work because it easily could of been them that cut the hair in the first place. In this case it was her that cut it both times. In all the years of getting my haircut, it’s never happened before. Totally turned me off going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is this the Frank that used to be in House of Grafton?

If a barber is only doing 2 cut's an hour they won't be long getting shown the door from the owner.

More realistic to do 4 an hour . I agree that there is a lot of overheads like any other business.

I wouldn’t like to be getting my hair cut in a place that does 4 hair cuts an hour.

Place I go it’s only two bookings an hour per barber and my barber of choice was 40 mins cutting my hair - this would be the norm for any decent barber to spend on me.

From just sitting in the waiting waiting area observing before lockdown on average I’d not see any barber get though more than 2 an hour, 3 max if they had someone in for a 3 all over or something but even less than 2 an hour when doing fades etc or a lot of time blending etc.

I wouldn’t like to be getting my hair cut in a place that does 4 hair cuts an hour.

Place I go it’s only two bookings an hour per barber and my barber of choice was 40 mins cutting my hair - this would be the norm for any decent barber to spend on me.

From just sitting in the waiting waiting area observing before lockdown on average I’d not see any barber get though more than 2 an hour, 3 max if they had someone in for a 3 all over or something but even less than 2 an hour when doing fades etc or a lot of time blending etc.

how long you can nurse a pint for?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is this the Frank that used to be in House of Grafton?

Yip

how long you can nurse a pint for?

Lol. Did you ever read such nonsense? I text one of the lads in London that’s a ladies hairdresser (his brother is a barber in another country)

I asked him about the whole 30min for a lads haircut. His reply....

“It’s the faffing“

Shaving the same spot over & over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

How in the name of god could you be 40 minutes getting a haircut?
    I’ve seen full ewes sheared in 4 minutes and a full fleece on them including daggins.

• Advertisement

How in the name of god could you be 40 minutes getting a haircut?
    I’ve seen full ewes sheared in 4 minutes and a full fleece on them including daggins.

Because not everyone gets their hair sheered off. When there is a few different blade lengths, scissors , blending, probably two phases of drying to check things are sitting right when dry, cut throat razor on neck, eyebrows etc it all adds up.

I wouldn’t even be the longest by any means, lads getting below zero fades etc get charged extra as it takes even longer.

This thread is nearly better than the one about grass from a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Because not everyone gets their hair sheered off. When there is a few different blade lengths, scissors , blending, probably two phases of drying to check things are sitting right when dry, cut throat razor on neck, eyebrows etc it all adds up.

I wouldn’t even be the longest by any means, lads getting below zero fades etc get charged extra as it takes even longer.

Two phases of drying !!! Where the heck do you get your haircut. Must cost ya a fortune in Peter Marks by sounds of it.

mjp wrote: »
    Two phases of drying !!! Where the heck do you get your haircut. Must cost ya a fortune in Peter Marks by sounds of it.

No its not peter marks its a barber but not in Galway as I've yet to find one there that I'm happy with.

20 euro up from 17 before covid is the cost same as a 3 all over costs where I go, only below zero fades cost more. You cut hair wet but need to dry it to check its sitting right, then wet again to finish and dry before leaving and styling thats what I mean. Pretty standard for anyone I see getting their hair cut where I go bar people who get very tight hair cuts.

It shows why I avoid most barbers as the fact people dont encounter this tells me they aren't going to good barbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Nox after his haircut

Kr9AowP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Am_I_Will_

Hi folks, does anyone know if "Professional Barbers" in Oranmore are back open? Its the one down the side lane of centra, tried calling but no answer. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s dogs in crufts and they haven’t half that pampering got.2 phases of drying to see how it will sit??ive heard it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Castlebar barbers seem to have agreed on €18 for a dry cut. Before lockdown it varied from €10-15. One was €18 plus €3 extra for a mask if you hadn't ur own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

No its not peter marks its a barber but not in Galway as I've yet to find one there that I'm happy with.

20 euro up from 17 before covid is the cost same as a 3 all over costs where I go, only below zero fades cost more. You cut hair wet but need to dry it to check its sitting right, then wet again to finish and dry before leaving and styling thats what I mean. Pretty standard for anyone I see getting their hair cut where I go bar people who get very tight hair cuts.

It shows why I avoid most barbers as the fact people dont encounter this tells me they aren't going to good barbers.

Any good tips where to get a good pedicure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

In fairness, Nox isn't wrong. There are plenty of lads who get a 3 all over in under 10 mins but there also loads who get zero fades and a decent one does take time. Throw in getting the beard trimmed and edged and you're easily looking at over half an hour.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    In fairness, Nox isn't wrong. There are plenty of lads who get a 3 all over in under 10 mins but there also loads who get zero fades and a decent one does take time. Throw in getting the beard trimmed and edged and you're easily looking at over half an hour.

I’ve been resisting, but I have to ask. What’s a zero fade?

• Advertisement

I’ve been resisting, but I have to ask. What’s a zero fade?

I thought it was when you hit a golf ball straight :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Google skin fade. The haircut 90% of under 21s seem to have these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A zero fade the last day took the guts of/if not more than the 30 minute window last weekend for me in fairness. Was in a Fat Tony's too but I think it was 20 including tip but I was happy enough with it after 4 months of self-haircuts :pac:

A zero fade the last day took the guts of/if not more than the 30 minute window last weekend for me in fairness. Was in a Fat Tony's too but I think it was 20 including tip but I was happy enough with it after 4 months of self-haircuts :pac:

Are you a student?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GALWAYGUY2019

I was averaging to cover quieter periods also as there not cutting from second they open till the close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is it a Young Offenders cut?

flazio wrote: »
    Is it a Young Offenders cut?

From Googling, it’s a combination of that and the less stylish elements of the Peaky Blinders look. Think of your typical new “suit” for the Galway Races type 😂

I went to Crew on Shop St. Was surprised with how busy town was that there was no wait or anyone came in the time I was there. Advertised price was e15... they gave me a disposable mask and it was still e15. Seemed fair a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

From Googling, it’s a combination of that and the less stylish elements of the Peaky Blinders look. Think of your typical new “suit” for the Galway Races type ��

I call it the shit GAA haircut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The Bert look from Sesame Street is very popular these days.

Every time I see one it gives me a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

€15 for a top class cut today by Joe in One step ahead in town. Nothing like the gouging going on by lot of the other establishments across town.

€15 for a top class cut today by Joe in One step ahead in town. Nothing like the gouging going on by lot of the other establishments across town.

Yeah, I was told about that spot a couple of weeks back. €11 euro cheaper than my last cut. That’s crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm assuming Joe and the two Mikes are accepting walk-ins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm assuming Joe and the two Mikes are accepting walk-ins?

Yep, there was a queue outside the first week or so after opening but seems to have calmed a bit since. Think they allow three inside between the two seating areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Stewball wrote: »
    Anyone been in to the barber a few doors down from Mr.Price in Terryland?

That's my usual port of call - wondering has he increased his prices by much?

I went there the other day, it was €16. Think it was €14 before, so can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Any recommendations for appoinment only barbers?

Can't be dealing with queueing/waiting.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Half a f...... hour?

I get my hair cut in about the 10 minute mark. And the eyebrows are 'done' also.

Some gentlemen like the bit of pampering.

No. Ten minutes is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Getting ripped off lads, between €10.50 and €12 out here for a haircut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

Have been to plenty of barbers , usd to get a 10er hair cut found a place now thats perfect listens to what you actually want when I say just a small bit off the top I dont come out butchered.

Book in when ever walk straight in no waiting around book who you want, along with a beer ( once not driving)

Well worth 22 euro and always give a tip

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

Have the barber copped on to themselves yet? I’ve been cutting my hair at home since March and am in no rush back

Advertisement