Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

When your company literally only exists to admin the Cycle To Work scheme and you can't get that right :facepalm:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, that statement in the screengrab does not seem to take the e-bike limit into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

also, that statement in the screengrab does not seem to take the e-bike limit into account.

That was just because I had selected regular bike I think. Looks like its working correctly when I choose electric bike.

yrwbqW2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before, Im an SNA and would like to purchase an electric bike through the scheme, is this possible and what is the limit on the spending ?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before, Im an SNA and would like to purchase an electric bike through the scheme, is this possible and what is the limit on the spending ?

The limit for an electric bike is €1500

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nihicib2 wrote: »

The limit for an electric bike is €1500
    Just to clarify, there's no limit on the spending. The limit of €1500 is on the relief available.

Just to clarify, there's no limit on the spending. The limit of €1500 is on the relief available.

So I can spend more but only get tax relief for 1500 and being an SNA Im assuming the amount its taken from my wages? Sorry for being a thick, Im just getting confused because of how it works with different employers :D

All of the payment for the bike will be made by your employer e.g. €2500 to the LBS (local bike store).
    You will get "relief" on €1500 and not on the other €1000.
    So let's assume the relief on the €1500 means you pay €750 (or thereabouts), then out of your wages you pay €1750 (or thereabouts).
    This is taken from your salary over an agreed number of months (up to 12).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

MJohnston wrote: »
    When your company literally only exists to admin the Cycle To Work scheme and you can't get that right :facepalm:

When your company literally only exists to admin the Cycle To Work scheme and you need to get a developer involved to change a key number in the system :facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

When your company literally only exists to admin the Cycle To Work scheme and you need to get a developer involved to change a key number in the system :facepalm:

It's not that simple. The rules have changed, there are two thresholds now. Plus they need to maintain the history as well.

While I agree that the travelhub is a disgrace of a company, changing it systems is not easy. They should have however started on the changes much earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

All of the payment for the bike will be made by your employer e.g. €2500 to the LBS (local bike store).
    I thought what usually happens is the LBS splits the invoice? The tax qualifying amount for the employer, the balance to you? It's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

grogi wrote: »
    It's not that simple. The rules have changed, there are two thresholds now. Plus they need to maintain the history as well.

Wait - what is this about 2 thresholds?

I just bought a bike - have I messed up the timing?

oh ffs - I sent the money on the 28 July. FFS One of the few benefits I get for paying tax in this country and they change the rules..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kenmm wrote: »
    Wait - what is this about 2 thresholds?

I just bought a bike - have I messed up the timing?

electric and non electric.

that simple.

And the new thresholds would not have started in july afaik.

listermint wrote: »
    electric and non electric.

that simple.

And the new thresholds would not have started in july afaik.

Electric/ non electric AND a higher limit for non electric. Wouldn't mind, buy I wont get it delivered until end of Aug..

bullsh!t lol - get gouged enough in Irish tax then they pull this half way through the tax year!! Well enjoy all you who can get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bullsh!t lol - get gouged enough in Irish tax then they pull this half way through the tax year!! Well enjoy all you who can get it!

pull it? its been all over the papers for the past month..

listermint wrote: »
    pull it? its been all over the papers for the past month..

July or August - both half way through the tax year..

It wasn't on Revenue website when I purchased. Didn't see it in the papers. I've just missed out on 130quid - can't I have a small rant about it in peace??

EDIT - I contacted company on 14th, work sent money on 20th, looks like the stimulus package was 23rd or 24th. I still reserve the right to be annoyed about it (me not reading the papers is part of that before anyone comments!)

I thought what usually happens is the LBS splits the invoice? The tax qualifying amount for the employer, the balance to you? It's what I did.
    It's what I did too. That way the LBS could give me a discount on the balance (as my company uses the shysters as middlemen).
    I don't think they are supposed to do it. The company is supposed to purchase the bike and you pay for it via salary deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

It's what I did too. That way the LBS could give me a discount on the balance (as my company uses the shysters as middlemen).
    I don't think they are supposed to do it. The company is supposed to purchase the bike and you pay for it via salary deductions.

Yeah thats the way it worked for me both times i've availed of the BTW, invoice for a 1000 to the job and the balance paid by me directly to the shop. Different shops each time aswell.

Yeah thats the way it worked for me both times i've availed of the BTW, invoice for a 1000 to the job and the balance paid by me directly to the shop. Different shops each time aswell.
    Yeah but it is a bit of a fiddle in the sense that the LBS gave you (and me) an invoice that wasn't for what you actually bought.
    For me the only benefit to doing this was that because my company used the middlemen company which removes any discounting power from the LBS, I was better off only using 1k via the scheme.
    I could then give the rest of the money to the LBS directly and no cut was taken by the middlemen and I had the opportunity to get a bit of a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

July or August - both half way through the tax year..

It wasn't on Revenue website when I purchased. Didn't see it in the papers. I've just missed out on 130quid - can't I have a small rant about it in peace??

How have you missed out on 130 quid?

I guess he spent over 1.25k and would have enjoyed tax relief on the extra 250 quid.

You will get "relief" on €1500 and not on the other €1000.
    So let's assume the relief on the €1500 means you pay €750 (or thereabouts), then out of your wages you pay €1750 (or thereabouts).
    This is taken from your salary over an agreed number of months (up to 12).

Thank you :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah but it is a bit of a fiddle in the sense that the LBS gave you (and me) an invoice that wasn't for what you actually bought.
    For me the only benefit to doing this was that because my company used the middlemen company which removes any discounting power from the LBS, I was better off only using 1k via the scheme.
    I could then give the rest of the money to the LBS directly and no cut was taken by the middlemen and I had the opportunity to get a bit of a discount.

Technically the middle men crowd are breaking the rules of the scheme as your employer is not buying from the bike shop. The paying directly for over the 1000euro is technically not the way the scheme is meant to be run but there is no advantage to you or the company for this so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Technically the middle men crowd are breaking the rules of the scheme as your employer is not buying from the bike shop.

Ye - thats a good point actually - never thought about that before - and is there some legal definition of bike shop etc?

I never understood why employers used those middlemen companies - as far as I can tell, there is no more payroll administration than many other things that an employer would need to do? Except maybe having to write cheques/ send money to multiple different suppliers? But even the largest employers, only a small percentage of employees would avail of the scheme anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I genuinely think TravelHub leverage the confusion that I explained before between the Cycle to Work scheme and their Bike To Work Ltd company to convince some companies that theirs is the only way to do it.

Also, I've no idea what it takes to administer the Taxsaver scheme, and TravelHub bundles that and the C2W scheme together, so maybe Taxsaver is a real pain in the arse?

I never understood why employers used those middlemen companies - as far as I can tell, there is no more payroll administration than many other things that an employer would need to do? Except maybe having to write cheques/ send money to multiple different suppliers? But even the largest employers, only a small percentage of employees would avail of the scheme anyway.
    Having asked my own HR dept, it was to avoid having to create various vendor accounts: no other reason (I wouldn't mind but HR would not have even been the ones creating the account in SAP) :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Having asked my own HR dept, it was to avoid having to create various vendor accounts: no other reason (I wouldn't mind but HR would not have even been the ones creating the account in SAP) :rolleyes:

And there is the risk that if you flagged it in a big enough company they simply would pull the scheme rather than the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I know even SAP(Ireland) HR do the same :confused:
    TravelHub is who they use for Taxsaver scheme and Bike to Work

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    And there is the risk that if you flagged it in a big enough company they simply would pull the scheme rather than the above.

That was practically the only reason I would think of - and when you get down to it - a small percentage (hopefully more now tho) of people in the company and more than likely using the same few shops (if Dublin based). So its not likely to be one account per employee.

And yes - there is confusion - I still google "Bike to work" every time I want the revenue Cycle to work page (for example).

Advertisement