Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanananaBread

New user here; not sure if this has been asked before!

Started a new job recently, just wondering is there any place I can purchase a stationary bike through this scheme? I have a normal bike myself but the roads around my house are just so awful that I never feel enticed to go out on it.

Just want something so I can get some cardio in the mornings and start work without having to go out in the cold/dark.

Also: this is a genuine question, I'm not plotting to try get around the scheme!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Started a new job recently, just wondering is there any place I can purchase a stationary bike through this scheme? I have a normal bike myself but the roads around my house are just so awful that I never feel enticed to go out on it.

Just want something so I can get some cardio in the mornings and start work without having to go out in the cold/dark.

Also: this is a genuine question, I'm not plotting to try get around the scheme!

I'm sure you can find a bike shop that will as to them its just a purchase. This said your company would be committing tax fraud if they did it and the scheme is designed to buy bikes that will at some point be use to ride to work so we can leave that there as has been posted many times before in the thread, discussion of fraud or misuse of the scheme is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Get yourself a turbo-trainer, instead of a new stationary bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I think considering its called the Cycle to Work scheme, then being at least capable of the "To Work" park is kinda required..

Now.. if one was to buy a bike and keep it on a turbo..I guess no issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanananaBread

That's great; no problem.

I'll buy it myself so. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭thebourke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

KP81 wrote: »
    On when the limit increase kicks in. Tried to get voucher from work for the €1250 and HR say it’s not effective until president signs bill into law. It was at stage 10/11 since Jul 30th. Think Michael D is on hols so that’s why it’s not in place yet ��

We were notified today by work of the new limits being available from the 27th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

We were notified today by work of the new limits being available from the 27th of August.

I picked one up last Saturday on the new limits. Bike shop just needed Revenue to confirm. And Revenue did that on 10th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

Does this date apply to all work place? Or depends on the individual work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

bilasy wrote: »
    Does this date apply to all work place? Or depends on the individual work?

New limits were operational at Revenue from August 1st. Some workplaces or schemes may have a lag in implementation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The limits changed on August 1st according to Revenue (https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/taxation-of-employer-benefits/cycle-to-work-scheme.aspx and https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-05/05-04-08.pdf).
    However, a company may decide to offer it from the first payroll run after August 1st which I suspect is the case with redsteveireland's company.

Indeed, no company is under any legal impetus to increase to the new limits or implement whenever they feel like it. A company can set multiple restrictions such as a limit below government target (not sure why they would), a certain store to buy from or that you have to do one lump payment.

I imagine as said above, just took them a few weeks to get it in place

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cccccc

Anyone have any success buying a van moof ebike under cycle to work?

cccccc wrote: »
    Anyone have any success buying a van moof ebike under cycle to work?

I went to the pop up shop in Dublin, meant to be open today as per the website but was closed, also tried to book test ride unavailable for the next 3 months didn’t check after. Reviews seems to mixed but more on the negative side and no service base in Dublin, is there is any where else in Dublin you can buy the Van moof other than the website? The bike seems really futuristic and it’s marketed as the Tesla of the ebike but most reviewers wrote give it few yrs
    Not sure how it would work scheme wise but highly unlikely.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.vanmoof.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thinking of getting a kuma ebike myself, designed and built in Dublin. No harm in supporting local.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I want to order a van moof , they only operate online, but as I read it, I have to get my employer to pay Van Moof.

Or can I present the paid invoice to my employer (HSE) and they pay me back ?

Sorry if this has already been answered in the previous 2000 or so posts.

Hi,
    Depends which area in the HSE u work, so for example Longford area, Cavan area already can avail of the €1500, but Dublin for instance didn’t apply yet, also be aware that the closing dates for applications is 28/09 and you will have to repay back before 31/12/20.
    I was told that HSE will issue you some form of payment to Van moof and you will have to settle €498 directly to them

You can apply now

Very specific question, I am open to apply again. Any recommendations for south Dublin or North Wicklow shops. My LBS has closed since the last one. I am thinking Harrys in Clonskeagh as I hear good things in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Very specific question, I am open to apply again. Any recommendations for south Dublin or North Wicklow shops. My LBS has closed since the last one. I am thinking Harrys in Clonskeagh as I hear good things in work.

I've had good service from Joe Daly's in Dundrum for my last two bikes. Personally, I find it is important to have a shop with walking distance of home or work, to make it reasonably easy to drop the bike off for servicing or repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gyaanimonk

nice article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Looking for recommendations for an ebike to be bought under the Bike 2 Work scheme. Wanted to spend up to Eur2000.

Thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

banchang wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for an ebike to be bought under the Bike 2 Work scheme. Wanted to spend up to Eur2000.

Thoughts appreciated.
    Snap, keeping my eye on this.

Can some one let me know if I apply for BTW now do I pay it back within 2020 or from October 2020 to October 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Snap, keeping my eye on this.

Can some one let me know if I apply for BTW now do I pay it back within 2020 or from October 2020 to October 2021?

Some companies may have their own specific rules but in general it would be from October 2020 to 2021

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some companies (AFAIK) will spread the repayments over 12 months, some would want the repayments made by the end of the FY, which would up your monthly repayments obviously - unless you bought at the start of the FY.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

Are any Dublin shops doing specials on the scheme? I know the Bike Institute on Dorset St. did 3 years free service but they are having supply chain issues. Anybody know if any other places giving a little extra? Thanks for any input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Are any Dublin shops doing specials on the scheme? I know the Bike Institute on Dorset St. did 3 years free service but they are having supply chain issues. Anybody know if any other places giving a little extra? Thanks for any input

I would be surprised - bikes shops can't get hold of enough stock at the moment so will probably want to maximise return from each sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

My employer uses Bike to work, Decathlon does not deal with third parties i.e. only 'cycle to work' scheme. Anyone any advice here or am I shít out of luck with the tax saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jive wrote: »
    My employer uses Bike to work, Decathlon does not deal with third parties i.e. only 'cycle to work' scheme. Anyone any advice here or am I shít out of luck with the tax saving?

The latter. You can approach your employer about that, but once they have the b2w scheme in place, that's all they want to hear about that.

jive wrote: »
    I presume you mean they don't deal with anyone bar companies directly?
    grogi wrote: »
    The latter. You can approach your employer about that, but once they have the b2w scheme in place, that's all they want to hear about that.
    Worth asking, it's actually very little work extra, particularly a small company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume you mean they don't deal with anyone bar companies directly?

Yeah Decathlon do not deal with any third parties like bike to work. My employer only does bike to work apparently.

Still going to buy the bike but it is a €600ish kick in the nuts! I will ask again but HR person seemed pretty dismissive.

Is there any recourse if I buy it and then try to claw it back after or does this all need to be done upfront? Not that familiar with the scheme.

Company is mid size I would say, 600 or so in Ireland.

Advertisement