Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

05-05-2020, 11:47   #1
corks finest

Bobby Sands - see Mod Note in OP.

Start of our darkest period in modern Irish history, 5/5/81
Bobby Sands
I was living in Derry at the time, attended Kevin Lynch's and Patsy O'Hara's funerals etc,
awful awful awful time

Mod Note:
As per History charter, any posts that are derogatory to other posters are contra-forum rules. Please keep on topic and interact in a civil manner, especially with those of different viewpoints.

Last edited by Manach; 08-05-2020 at 23:28.
Advertisement
07-05-2020, 18:32   #2
BloodyBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Start of our darkest period in modern Irish history, 5/5/81
Bobby Sands
I was living in Derry at the time, attended Kevin Lynch's and Patsy O'Hara's funerals etc,
awful awful awful time
Why did you attend their funerals? Did you know them.
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 03:10   #3
Peregrinus

This is Ireland, Bill. You don't have to know someobody to attend their funeral.
08-05-2020, 08:57   #4
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBill View Post
I was living there and as a committed republican at the time showed my respects to those who made the ultimate sacrifice,
And yes I was a neighbour of one,and a family friend of another, that really doesn't matter either way, you're just being a gombeen man, I shouldn't really answer someone who's just being ignorant and looking for a reaction ( Troll)
As an ordinary Irishman living amongst the carnange of the 6 counties at the time I was showing my respect for all concerned by attending end of, won't reply again.
08-05-2020, 09:00   #5
Blaaz_

A rare photo of bobby sands was shared recently of his time between prison sentenaces

Is it true the brits,couldnt find a pic of him not smiling/happy for propaganda purposes??
(Or is that just a myth)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200506-215059_Chrome.jpg (320.5 KB, 565 views)
Advertisement
08-05-2020, 09:06   #6
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
This is Ireland, Bill. You don't have to know someobody to attend their funeral.
This explains a lot,one of his posts I copied and pasted,

Where does it all stop. I think it's a terrible idea to commemorate. The Kilmichael ambush is on the back and that was a piece of carnage that is still fought over by historians today. Theres Protestants in west Cork with a completely different set of memories and beliefs to the Republican ones. Are we going to commemorate their missing family members from 1920to23
08-05-2020, 09:08   #7
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaz_ View Post
A rare photo of bobby sands was shared recently of his time between prison sentenaces

Is it true the brits,couldnt find a pic of him not smiling/happy for propaganda purposes??
(Or is that just a myth)
Don't honestly know TBH, having spent 20 yrs in Derry as a republican it wouldn't surprise me
08-05-2020, 09:15   #8
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBill View Post
Read some of your previous posts,you're anti republican very biased ,anti Crosbarry/ kilmichael/ 1981hunher strike commerations , embarrassed by your Irish roots living in Devon?
Those who died/ served their time for Irish freedom deserve to be remembered despite shauneens like yourself,
Kilmichael etc happened and you reap the benefits.
08-05-2020, 09:37   #9
antgal23

Had one or two of his poetry books, I think he wrote them in cigarette paper and they were able to smuggle it out

Very dark and very depressing but no surprise

Most southerners have no idea nor knowledge of life up north in the Troubles, it might has well have been in China

But, honestly speaking I don't care.

The Hunger Strikers should be remembered.
Advertisement
08-05-2020, 09:55   #10
Bassfish

Quote:

Where does it all stop. I think it's a terrible idea to commemorate. The Kilmichael ambush is on the back and that was a piece of carnage that is still fought over by historians today. Theres Protestants in west Cork with a completely different set of memories and beliefs to the Republican ones. Are we going to commemorate their missing family members from 1920to23
Commemorating does not equal celebrating. All people's stories and perspectives should be captured and respected. Yes the ambushes were murderous bloodbaths, as were the atrocities inflicted by the tans/auxiliaries. The stories of the protestant communities in West Cork and other places have been largely forgotten but all the more reason for people to talk about what happened and raise more questions. Nothing is achieved by trying to forget these things happened.
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 10:02   #11
Iscreamkone

Quote:

I for one will commemorate the Kilmichael ambush on 28/11/2020. The Tans got what they deserved.
08-05-2020, 10:21   #12
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscreamkone View Post
I for one will commemorate the Kilmichael ambush on 28/11/2020. The Tans got what they deserved.
Same as,my grandfather spent his time in Brixton same time as Mcswiney I'm proud not ashamed of mine,our heritage,yes of course atrocities were committed by all sides , but you can't dig a ditch without getting the shovel dirty, dirty-jobs had to be done
08-05-2020, 10:35   #13
Rows Grower

I'm very proud of my heritage but credit where it's due you have to hand it to the Rangers fans for the chant they would sing at the Old Firm games at the time.
08-05-2020, 10:40   #14
Dogg Munde

Should this not be in the Terrorism forum?
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 11:03   #15
Rows Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg Munde View Post
Should this not be in the Terrorism forum?
Never!

(all we want is dialogue).
Thanks from:
Thread Closed