Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Jugs

Options
  • 07-12-2017 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Had visitors today, made tae, went for the milk jug, no handle on it, think it was me Granny's.

Had to pour the milk out of the carton, got me wondering, you never see jugs anymore.

Do you have the proper cutlery for visitors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I like big jugs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Had visitors today, made tae, went for the milk jug, no handle on it, think it was me Granny's.

Had to pour the milk out of the carton, got me wondering, you never see jugs anymore.

Milk pouring cutlery?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Milk pouring cutlery?

You know what I mean, proper jugs and butter knives and tea cosys and all that jazz.

And one of them yokes for squeezing oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Yep, only gets used for Christmas dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They're definitely a handful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm now disappointed in this thread, title got my hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

15052010120.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I have jugs, they're a good size but they're not huge.
    My husband uses them often.
    I mostly take them out when there's guests.

:D

Seriously though. We do have jugs. Love finding old fashioned ones in car boots sales and such. Mr M forgets to put the milk back in the fridge all the time so with the jug there's less waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bazz26 wrote: »
    15052010120.jpg

They're ewers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

My visitors are always left in awe at the size of my jugs.....its one of the reasons my coffee mornings are so popular in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

matron.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

They're ewers?

No they're not, I have a blue Denby one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never really understood the rationale of having "good" equipment that you only bring out when there are guests. Sure, if it's ornamental. But if it's supposed to be used, then why not just use it?
    We got a voucher for Brown Thomas when we got married, and the only thing which didn't seem outrageously overpriced was a cutlery set which I think cost €150. We use them daily and they're still as clean and shiny as the day they were bought. Good value in the end.

Not a fan of milk jugs myself; why leave the milk exposed and out in the open like that? And if the jug isn't empty at the end of the day it has to go down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

seamus wrote: »

Not a fan of milk jugs myself; why leave the milk exposed and out in the open like that? And if the jug isn't empty at the end of the day it has to go down the sink.

Bit of cling film over the top, put the jug in the fridge, milk saved for another day. Subscribe to my newsletter for more money saving tips.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Whenever my mam has guests she puts the milk carton on the table and says excuse the good jug. Makes no sense, she's just too lazy to use an actual jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Decanting liquids is for people who have staff. Why do a job twice if you're doing it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What's the logic behind putting milk into jugs anyway??

Cartons come with a spout to pour out of :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What's the logic behind putting milk into jugs anyway??

Cartons come with a spout to pour out of :confused:

What's the logic in putting milk BACK in jugs you mean. Amiright, who's with me? High five. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thought this was about breasts. Seen as August Ames died in the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Colliewollie

Using milk jugs seems to have gone out of fashion alright.. My mom still produces it when visitors come to the house! The carton or plastic bottle of milk is swapped for the trusty milk jug!

Usually only filled half way, very little waste! We used to have our own milk from our farm up to ten years ago, non-pasteurised or homogenised, and always used a jug at the table. Now we use a carton or plastic container straight from the shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Milk jugs have gone the way of the RTE guide, bungalow bliss and proper HiFi equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Always use a milk-jug if we have visitors, a carton just looks odd plonked in the middle of a tray of cups, biccies and a teapot.
    Wouldn't be bothered my hat when I'm just making tea without a teapot for myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tried having a jug for visitors, but all my family use about a half gallon of milk per cup so it's pointless.

I have jugs, butter dishes, pastry forks, teapots and sugar bowls and lovely cutlery. I'm very particular.

I use them all though, because I have notions. Lots and lots of notions. Mrs Bucket is my role model.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This thread wins the award for the biggest let down once you started reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

In my house the point of using jugs is that you don't expose the 2 litre bottle of milk to room temperature for too long. The jugs are smallish, so you don't waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Big jugs seem to be something trapped back in the realm of the 70s B&B sadly.

As are those racks for soldiers. I do love to see a nice rack.

k411-toast-rack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

In my house the point of using jugs is that you don't expose the 2 litre bottle of milk to room temperature for too long. The jugs are smallish, so you don't waste.

It's not a 2 litre bottle....it's a plastic jug....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Herself has one of those milk jugs for when people come visiting.

Me, I drink milk out of the carton (when she's not looking).

Advertisement