Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellness rooms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I have one.....its called my desk and I stay there when I cant stick the inane chatter/drama of the lunch table. Twenty minutes to just switch off and its bliss. Some call it antisocial......now I can rename it my wellness station :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

All faddish stuff to look cool and sell the place to employees, companies are becoming more cultish, hey looks we have all these trinkets and a Segway scooter all we want in return is your soul

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think it defeats the purpose if security guards are checking up on the occupants of the room. That would make me feel anxious.

Most larger places I've worked have a room called the sick-bay.

You typically have to check in with reception or occ-health or whoever, because they don't want anyone to die unnoticed in there.

The fact of having to check in has always put me off using it, even when ten minutes lying flat while painkillers kick in would have been blissful.

One place had a fitness room - aka a gym. It had - wait for it - gym gear in it. Mats, weights, large balls, that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

All faddish stuff to look cool and sell the place to employees, companies are becoming more cultish, hey looks we have all these trinkets and a Segway scooter all we want in return is your soul

On top of this they also deposit money into your account on a regular basis. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,660 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There would have to be two rooms at this time of year. One with the heating turned up full for the women and one a bit cooler for the men.

• Advertisement

We have one, it's mostly used by breastfeeding mothers when they need to pump and by Muslim staff for prayer.

My place stopped one woman using our room to pump, because she used to go in and lock the door and when she didn't the men were afraid to go in in case they disturbed her. There is another room beside the ladies with an armchair for the purpose shared by anyone on the floor who needs it, but its not as nice.

Ours is called the Silence and Meditation room, but when I got there I was amazed nobody called it the S&M room.

I do though. ALL the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I expect any prospective supplier to provide me with comfortable surroundings, IT and telephony services that are rock solid and allow me to work optimally, and a bean to cup coffee machine.

Good coffee is very important in the workplace.

maxwellHouseMildBlend100g.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We have 3 break area's on our floor, 2 of them have reasonably comfortable seating.

What's really the use in a "wellness room"? It sounds like life coach mumbo jumbo. People should take their breaks away from their desk/work area.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The only problem I have with it is the name. Wellness isn’t a proper word, it’s just some new-age sh*te dreamt up by hemp-wearing hippies who think that auras and chakras are real things and that all their problems can be solved by a few different coloured crystals. Use proper English and call it a relaxation room or something, and stop legitimising this sort of nonsense. Now get back to work you slackers!

We have 3 break area's on our floor, 2 of them have reasonably comfortable seating.

What's really the use in a "wellness room"? It sounds like life coach mumbo jumbo. People should take their breaks away from their desk/work area.

It's a handy place for Muslim staff to pray, for people to lie down for 10 minutes over lunch, for anyone who needs a moment out in a low-lighted room away from the phones and noise, a pregnant member of staff has a lie down during her breaks because her legs swell if she doesn't keep them raised periodically.

I've used it a few times, I'm glad it's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Candie wrote: »
    It's a handy place for Muslim staff to pray, for people to lie down for 10 minutes over lunch, for anyone who needs a moment out in a low-lighted room away from the phones and noise, a pregnant member of staff has a lie down during her breaks because her legs swell if she doesn't keep them raised periodically.

I've used it a few times, I'm glad it's there.

sounds like excuses for the time she was caught getting munched.

i have to keep my legs raised. theyre swollen.

- who me, i was just praying. im a muslim, thats why i was kneeling down you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I don't know about a wellness room but I often wish my work place had a Scream at the Ceiling in Frustration and Futility room, and maybe a little alcove where I could smash glass (like at the bottle bank). Would only need a couple of minutes a day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It sounds a bit generation snowflakey to me.

What's wrong with a rest room if someone needs to lie down because they're ill. And going for a quick walk around the block if you're a bit stressed and need to clear your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ours has a "reflection room" as it's labeled

It's used to store the coffee trolley and cleaning products. 😊😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I used to sit with another department and every morning about 10 someone would go around with a bell, whoever wanted got up and followed them into a room where they all sat with their heads bowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Candie wrote: »
    ...A Muslim colleague uses it for his prayers, ...
    ... and by Muslim staff for prayer.

Just when they got rid of the smoke break!

I might check out the good prophet's book myself and find out which way Mecca is ... after all, that could give me the equivalent of a month extra holiday per year. In the UK office I worked in there was a quite a bit of flexibility around Ramadan time too.

Interesting to see how the Irish workplace will cope with this one over the next few decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

topper75 wrote: »
    Just when they got rid of the smoke break!

I might check out the good prophet's book myself and find out which way Mecca is ... after all, that could give me the equivalent of a month extra holiday per year. In the UK office I worked in there was a quite a bit of flexibility around Ramadan time too.

Interesting to see how the Irish workplace will cope with this one over the next few decades.

They'll be called ramadáns . I'll get my coat. Or prayer mat....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

topper75 wrote: »

My company has around 40-50 Muslim staff members (out of around 600 people working in our London office) and it really isn't an issue. Prayers are generally 10 minutes maximum and at certain times of year only one set of them is during the working day, other people spend that long on tea breaks etc. During Ramadan many of them would take a shortened "lunch" break resting/praying etc in the wellness room and then finish slightly earlier. Bottom line is the work still gets done. Other people work around their religious requirements too, we have a couple of Orthodox Jews who work a little late on Thursday so they can leave at 4pm on Friday for Shabbat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If a company really wanted employees to feel 'well' then they would start with providing appropriate sized desks, desk chairs and peripherals for all staff.

Flexible work hours and a casual approach to clothing. Turn down the florescent ****ing lights too, while they're at it.

But that costs more money than a small room full of bean bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My wellness room is the drivers door of my car. No one can hear me sobbing over the squaking and misfiring.

Will those who take our jobs in the future use wellness rooms to celebrate Robonukah??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Used to work in an office in Dublin which had one. It was very basic, looked more like a doctors surgery, and people would go in and lie down if they weren't felling well. One girl used it more than once to sleep off a hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My husband once worked in a place that had mindfulness chocolate eating only one chocolate mind you, and other such wellness stuff, he had no interest in any of it. The same company let lots of contract staff go with one days notice and told the rest of the staff had to do the work no money or over time.

The layout of offices has changed in the last 20 years. The trend has moved from small cubicles to open plan. Open plan looks tidier but the reality is open plan offices are noisier and more stressful. As a result of the added stress from open plan layouts they are now having to introduce quiet areas.

Hopefully like most fashions and trends we will eventually swing back to cubicles being all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There's one in my workplace with a single bed in it to have a kip, but you'd catch rabies or the plague of it so it's never used

21/25

Advertisement