Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellness rooms

Options
  • 06-12-2017 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,097 ✭✭✭✭

I was speaking to a colleague today and she mentioned that in her offices, they have a designated wellness room.
    I asked what was in it and she says she hasn't been yet.
    (I pictured people in togas, incense and tricking stream music. Probably not likely given the Harvey Weinstein type year we have had).

Another mate works in Google and they have massage chairs etc.

So - what say you about these types of rooms?

Is it a good idea?
    Would you use them?
    What would be in the wellness room, if you had your say*
    Would it be nice to have a place you could go to, to get 5 mins to yourself and some peace and quiet.

*except coke, hookers and blackjack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

sounds like the perfect thing for attention seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

everlast75 wrote: »
    I was speaking to a colleague today and she mentioned that in her offices, they have a designated wellness room.
    (I pictured people in togas, incense and tricking stream music. Probably not likely given the Harvey Weinstein type year we have had).

Is it a good idea?
    Would you use them?
    Would it be nice to have a place you could go to, to get 5 mins to yourself and some peace and quiet.

Well if you're going to set limits!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Massage chair and a plug in minature trickling water feature - Top notch stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Id prefer an espresso machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I have no idea what a wellness room is but one of the main reasons I go to my gym are for the steam room and the sauna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would imagine its a "rest room" if you feel unwell you go for an ould lie down during work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭Odhinn

everlast75 wrote: »

Is it a good idea?
    Would you use them?

If it doesn't have grass, roche, a bit of codeine and gargle, I think its false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The door to our wellness area is the front door outta there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

My workplace also has a wellness room... it's called the jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Had a wellness room in the last place I worked. HR used to use it to break the news to people that they were being made redundant.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Had a wellness room in the last place I worked. HR used to use it to break the news to people that they were being made redundant.

somebody-took-my-stapler.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Kettle and a sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Load of old **** really. Sounds like a room the bluffers will run to as the latest ploy in their quest to let everybody else do all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

“Somebody took my stapler,” he said. “It was on my desk when I went into Mr. Denney's office. Now it's gone. I've had it for nine years. My name is sellotaped to the bottom of it. I'm telling everybody that if it's not back on my desk by nine sharp on Monday morning there'll be trouble. That gives all of you the whole weekend ...

81lOqcYs-GL._SY355_.jpg

61ca27a9675346e4403c986b9babb473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Of course its a good idea. Except ours was closed for a while for "cleaning" after security found a couple in there being very well indeed. I havent been since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm a big believer in the power of mindful meditation, and incorporate a 40 minute practice into my extremely busy day. It has given me so much in return, and my ability to cope with the day-to-day demands of a stressful job at the cutting edge of European finance has improved enormously. I'd recommend it to everyone here, but especially those who seem to spend their days arguing over things they cannot change with complete strangers on the Internet. I'd imagine I've a much more demanding and intellectually stimulating job than the vast majority of people here, and I can manage to pack it into my day.

That said, I don't feel the work environment is the place to incorporate the practice, and the idea of a wellness room seems like a passing fad. I expect any prospective supplier to provide me with comfortable surroundings, IT and telephony services that are rock solid and allow me to work optimally, and a bean to cup coffee machine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm a big believer in the power of mindful meditation, and incorporate a 40 minute practice into my extremely busy day. It has given me so much in return, and my ability to cope with the day-to-day demands of a stressful job at the cutting edge of European finance has improved enormously. I'd recommend it to everyone here, but especially those who seem to spend their days arguing over things they cannot change with complete strangers on the Internet. I'd imagine I've a much more demanding and intellectually stimulating job than the vast majority of people here, and I can manage to pack it into my day.

That said, I don't feel the work environment is the place to incorporate the practice, and the idea of a wellness room seems like a passing fad. I expect any prospective supplier to provide me with comfortable surroundings, IT and telephony services that are rock solid and allow me to work optimally, and a bean to cup coffee machine.

You should spend Christmas week working in Dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Do they have Himalayan Salt lamps? Maybe a homeopathic tincture.

I think it's a good idea as long as it's taken seriously and not abused (like people spending hours on end in there).

It's something I could have done with yesterday as I had a migraine aura, which happens to me about once every six weeks or so. For a period of twenty minutes to half an hour I had ripples and wavey patterns disrupting my vision, and was unable to focus on anything or do anything other than just sit still and wait for it to subside. A wellness room to get away from the lights and noises of the office would have come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I think its a great idea.
    Some people, like myself, find it really difficult to not have any quiet place the whole day. Constantly surrounded by people, noise, lights etc

I do alot of meditation and mindfulness practice also. It keeps me pretty grounded, and through out the day im a much nicer person than when i dont practice. A room like that for a bit of a 20 minute top up would really keep me feeling well.

I have autism so it would help alot to have a place to just get away from all the stimulus sometimes. Sometimes I use the toilet to hide out for a few minutes, but that feels very odd as you can imagine and often very smelly.
    I use BOSE active noise cancelling head phones which block out the noise (AMAZING btw for anyone who has a child who has the condition active in that way, its like extra space in my body). Its great my job lets me keep them on. Keeps my stress down easier and makes a huge difference to my day. its about about a 15-20% improvement to my mood comparing to not wear them. Thats often enough to avoid a recursive emotional cycle from starting, which triggers food issues etc in people, which leads to other issues. So any little somewhere can be vital.

Sometimes offices can be difficult for people going through difficult times, recent arguments with their colleagues, scared of their boss, about to give a big presentation in front of lots of people, or maybe they just need some silence for whatever is going on in their head at that time. Most people would benefit from a manager having some time out every now and again.

We have a 'silence and meditation' room.

A Muslim colleague uses it for his prayers, another for resting during lunch at eight months pregnant, another uses it for her daily devotionals, though I'm not entirely sure what that entails. It's a small room with two long padded benches and a beanbag, it's a nice spot to have if you have a headache and want to lie down while the painkillers get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I’d love somewhere I could just go and lie down in silence for 30 minutes or so in work. Just to clear the head and shake out your thoughts sometimes. If I could do that during my lunch break it’d be something I’d do once or twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

there is a float room in our local sports centre, a similar idea to a wellness room. You book a session and go in and float for an hour. Supposed to be great for a bad back, and general chilling out.

FLOAT-ROOM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How long are you allowed to spend in the wellness room? Can you stay there for hours on the pretext of needing to get er well? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Rezident wrote: »
    Of course its a good idea. Except ours was closed for a while for "cleaning" after security found a couple in there being very well indeed. I havent been since.

I think it defeats the purpose if security guards are checking up on the occupants of the room. That would make me feel anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We have one, it's mostly used by breastfeeding mothers when they need to pump and by Muslim staff for prayer.

Advertisement