Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Have you ever answered poll questions - they are usually framed in a way that suits those asking the question. For instance you say that 90% on Claire Byrne want hotel quarantine for all - does this include pilots and lorry drivers coming into the country on a daily basis to deliver essential items? What about those going abroad medical reasons, or those wanting to come home for a dying loved one or the tens of other reasons why things happen. It's easy to say everyone should be quarantined when your asked a question that has yes/no type answer.

You say that majority of the nation don't think they are doing a good job - did you just pull this out of thin air? or how do you know what the majority think?

Finally where is labour's our SF alternative living with Covid policy?? Oh wait that's right they don't have one - wonder why that is? SF have no problem producing alternative budgets on budget day. Is it maybe because they support the majority of the policies that have been implemented, but don't want their supporters knowing this, and in turn will let FF/FG/Greens take the heat?

If there was an election in the morning, i feel that SF would make sure to position their candidates in such a way that they wouldn't win enough to go into sole power, and hence we would be left in the current situation.

It's very easy to blame those in power, but when there is no viable alternative option - what do you do?

Essential travel is still allowed so that covers lorry drivers etc

A poll out yesterday it was headline news in Irish Times has the majority think govt doing a bad job
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-irish-times-poll-finds-government-losing-the-dressing-room-as-support-slumps-1.4494806

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Covid data starting to look very promising. If this keeps up the government may need to move the 5 April date forward.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Covid data starting to look very promising. If this keeps up the government may need to move the 5 April date forward.

Wait till the schools are back and tourists get word they are free to come here without quarantine and they will go back up imo

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can't help feeling we were here before and somebody ****ed it up by ignoring the expert advice. Let's hope they have learned the lesson.

Wait till the schools are back and tourists get word they are free to come here without quarantine and they will go back up imo

Schools being open didn't impact the ability to reduce cases in lockdown 2.

I'll stick with the positive data coming from NPHET, rather than pessimistic opinions on boards:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Essential travel is still allowed so that covers lorry drivers etc

A poll out yesterday it was headline news in Irish Times has the majority thilnk govt doing a bad job
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-irish-times-poll-finds-government-losing-the-dressing-room-as-support-slumps-1.4494806

51% of 1200 voters say they are doing a bad job, and the margin of error is +/- 2.8%, so in fact it might not be the majority of Irish people, at absolute most it's 646 people - do you really see this as representative of the nation?

Furthermore in the survey it shows that, Micheál Martin is up 3 points (from October) to 42% in satisfaction from party leaders.

That's very conflicting results in that survey - MM support as party leader is up, yet a large % think the government are doing a bad job. You see - framing questions in certain ways can give very different results.

Support for SF hasn't fallen - but they aren't in government - why are they falling???

All in all the poll tells us nothing as to what the majority of people in the country actual think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are no student nurses on placement!!!!! Placements have been suspended!!!!!!

That is what I am saying.

If they were able to work, the HSE would want them. They don't want them because they aren't adding anything.
    'Completely compliant': HSE defends sending student nurses to work in badly-hit care home during first wave

So they were just doing this to them for 'experience'?

Was there absolutely no value in training new nurses especially considering a pandemic?
    Just doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

And I took his word for it, I just pointed out that didn't mean there were no international travellers allowed or let in in that time.
    I pointed to the fact that a lot of flights into the North are from the UK and a lot are used as connectors for international travel.
    It's the same here BTW.

Yeah, but it doesn't make the assertion "international flights into the north have ceased" any less true.

I don't think anyone was claiming international travel was impossible into the North btw, I'm sure you could even drive if you were so inclined. International flights have still stopped, the UK-North flights are still in operation, SDLP and Shinners wanted them to cease. Alliance and the unionists prevented it.

A bad for the bashers
    Blaming Brazilian people for Covid in Monaghan
    Also claiming Monaghan is a tourist haven
    Lost on the Galway Belfast Road
    Lost on the students
    Simultaneously arguing that the restrictions are too harsh and too lenient
    Calling for the army to be deployed to keep day trippers out of Carlingford
    Having to acknowledge that Ireland's vaccine is Top 3 in EU
    Having to acknowledge that the opposition called for relaxations at Christmas and then tried to dupe the public into forgetting
    Gaining no traction with false tears on M+B
    And most importantly, case numbers starting to fall

Enjoy your tea everyone

Lies and spin.
    Are you conveniently forgetting 'worst in the world'?
    It's not a competition. This is people lives. Tackle criticism, please do. Makes for good discussion. Don't make up blarney.

Schools being open didn't impact the ability to reduce cases in lockdown 2.

I'll stick with the positive data coming from NPHET, rather than pessimistic opinions on boards:)

NPHET advised Govt to open Junior and Senior infants and 6th class. Govt have ignored them again.

We knpw what happened when they went against the advice at xmas.

The fact people are starting to meet up again and travel into ireland will happen imo cases will go up.

Hope im wrong though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lots of anger here today as BB would say. Take the lemons off the FFG fan boys...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Coupon on the back of a box of sugarpuffs.

Apart from the wider promising data, such as the reducing positivity rates etc, the below good news is also great to see:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/vaccine-starting-to-make-an-impact-as-very-severe-drop-in-covid-19-cases-linked-to-nursing-homes-reported-last-week-40132066.html

Maybe someone flew into Belfast and crossed over the border, maybe an Irish person went to the dentist in Tenerife and caught the strain over there and brought it back, who knows, but what positive comes from posting it and potential spreading fear among some posters? Does it suit your agenda to do that?

Maybe someone flew into Belfast and crossed over the border, maybe an Irish person went to the dentist in Tenerife and caught the strain over there and brought it back, who knows, but what positive comes from posting it and potential spreading fear among some posters? Does it suit your agenda to do that?

The Irish person should be in hotel quarantine. The person who came to Belfast and travelled here should have been met by a checkpoint our side of the border and if a tourist sent back where they came from.

The discussion was tackling it, some where saying there's no point. So showing we've the new variant coming in is very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Correct decision. The scale of the epidemic isn't such that it is required. It would be disproportionate.

We are already on the borderline with regards to human rights.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0225/1199178-human-rights-covid-legislation/

"The IHREC has pointed out that separate to this research, it warned Oireachtas members last September that emergency legislation related to Covid-19 needed to be used exceptionally, and subjected to strict human rights standards and oversight."

It seems that those voting for mandatory quarantine are ignoring all human rights consideration, yet they would be the first to complain if there was a finding.

The discussion was tackling it, some where saying there's no point. So showing we've the new variant coming in is very relevant.

Maybe in a thread about the virus or the sub forum, but not in a thread about the government - it's just spreading rumours without knowing the facts behind it.

• Advertisement

The Irish person should be in hotel quarantine. The person who came to Belfast and travelled here should have been met by a checkpoint our side of the border and if a tourist sent back where they came from.

Do you know how big the border is? it's not realistic to man the border nor is it politically going to happen - not even SF would suggest to man the border.

What is the Irish person was what you called an essential worker a few posts ago - perhaps they brought it into the country - you seem to suggest that they wouldn't need to quarantine. Have you changed your mind about this now?

Correct decision. The scale of the epidemic isn't such that it is required. It would be disproportionate.

We are already on the borderline with regards to human rights.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0225/1199178-human-rights-covid-legislation/

"The IHREC has pointed out that separate to this research, it warned Oireachtas members last September that emergency legislation related to Covid-19 needed to be used exceptionally, and subjected to strict human rights standards and oversight."

It seems that those voting for mandatory quarantine are ignoring all human rights consideration, yet they would be the first to complain if there was a finding.

Sections of Australia lockdown if one case is reported. Disproportion is in the eye of the beholder it seems. I believe Canada has anyone arriving paying for their own hotel stay.

Quite right. This is how it works, we discuss things. If we are told they would contravene civil rights, we don't. We shouldn't assume and not do things without looking into it.
    Maybe in a thread about the virus or the sub forum, but not in a thread about the government - it's just spreading rumours without knowing the facts behind it.

This is a general thread regarding government. Stuff comes up.

Do you know how big the border is? it's not realistic to man the border nor is it politically going to happen - not even SF would suggest to man the border.

What is the Irish person was what you called an essential worker a few posts ago - perhaps they brought it into the country - you seem to suggest that they wouldn't need to quarantine. Have you changed your mind about this now?

Its about limiting the chances of the virus and new strains getting here. If a flight has 50 on it split 50/50 essential workers. Is it better to allow 25 go do what they want or send them to quarantine.

We are not allowed travel 5km and people are talking about civil rights of tourists coming into country during a pandemic.

Look, some of the people suggesting things don't have a clue, they are just repeating what the opposition are saying without any filter.

I asked about hotel room numbers earlier, didn't get a credible response.

Mandatory quarantine is only useful as part of a zero Covid strategy, which the same posters deny they want.

Its about limiting the chances of the virus and new strains getting here. If a flight has 50 on it split 50/50 essential workers. Is it better to allow 25 go do what they want or send them to quarantine.

We are not allowed travel 5km and people are talking about civil rights of tourists coming into country during a pandemic.

The virus getting here is not the problem, the virus already here is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0225/1199357-hse-coronavirus-ireland/

"HSE Chief Executive Paul Reid has said while there is "room for optimism" due to the vaccination roll-out, the HSE "remains concerned" at the high level of movement across the community."

""There are out higher levels of movement across society, people going to work, in transit and moving between households."

"Mr Reid also said there has been an increase in the positivity rate among close contacts over the past seven days, and that the average number of close contacts for the last seven days is 3.3 - with one person recording 38 close contacts."

Those who are wasting their breath about manadatory quarantine are ignoring the public health experts and their advice and should be concentrating on the real issues of people movement.

Look, some of the people suggesting things don't have a clue, they are just repeating what the opposition are saying without any filter.

I asked about hotel room numbers earlier, didn't get a credible response.

Mandatory quarantine is only useful as part of a zero Covid strategy, which the same posters deny they want.

Yes you did. It was pointed out that theres thousands of hotel rooms all over Ireland, not just Dublin

The virus getting here is not the problem, the virus already here is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0225/1199357-hse-coronavirus-ireland/

"HSE Chief Executive Paul Reid has said while there is "room for optimism" due to the vaccination roll-out, the HSE "remains concerned" at the high level of movement across the community."

""There are out higher levels of movement across society, people going to work, in transit and moving between households."

"Mr Reid also said there has been an increase in the positivity rate among close contacts over the past seven days, and that the average number of close contacts for the last seven days is 3.3 - with one person recording 38 close contacts."

Those who are wasting their breath about manadatory quarantine are ignoring the public health experts and their advice and should be concentrating on the real issues of people movement.

Just under 4000 people arrived last week non essential, they are moving about the country.
    Our schools are returning Monday that will be more movement. I have to take 8 and 9 year old to the school gates just so my 5 yr old can go back. I know plenty in same boat

My sons school has pupils from both sides of the border

Yes you did. It was pointed out that theres thousands of hotel rooms all over Ireland, not just Dublin

I said I didn't get a credible response. The only one I did get didn't understand the extra risks associated with the idea.
    Just under 4000 people arrived last week non essential, they are moving about the country.
    Our schools are returning Monday that will be more movement. I have to take 8 and 9 year old to the school gates just so my 5 yr old can go back. I know plenty in same boat

I assume that they are being sent straight to quarantine for two weeks?

I said I didn't get a credible response. The only one I did get didn't understand the extra risks associated with the idea.

I assume that they are being sent straight to quarantine for two weeks?

Why would they, our Govt voted against it. The same day a new strain has been identified

• Advertisement

How do you know there were 4,000 and that they were non-essential travel? How do you know they are moving around the country?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement