Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your biggest extravagance?

• 08-07-2020 12:31pm

We had a friend over here yesterday who has had a hair transplant a few months ago. He wasn't even that bald, but he paid thousands of euro to get his hairline done. It was the first time we'd seen him since the Covid. He looks exactly the same to me, but says he feels more confident, so it was worth the money and the pain (has a toe-curling story about anaesthetic wearing-off). The money he spent would put a deposit on a bungalow in the midlands.

I don't think I have any extravagance, I looked at my bank statements earlier, I think I've only bought groceries in the last 3 months.

Do you have some extravagance, something that you spend money on which others might not 'get'? What is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

My girlfriend. She used to be inflatable but now she can do all sorts like move her head and say a few sentences back to me. She can be a bit cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I got liposuction on my belly. It’s not very noticeable, but I feel like my body is more proportional.

I was at a family funeral recently and saw the women on my Mam’s side, who I take after, all look 18 months pregnant.

Weight is about diet and lifestyle primarily, but age and genetics are also factors.

If the money I spent (about €3k) means I don’t carry my weight on my belly like them, I consider it money well spent.

At the time, that was about 30% of what I had in savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I bought an industrial fan for our gaff.

And then the weather went to shit, natch. But I still love it. I was fed up with plasticky ones that break easily. The industrial one is like a wind machine so I cool down AND look sexy at the same time. How conveeeeenient.

8822-EAB1-77-C3-4859-8-F3-E-BFE959-E7-D737.jpg?dl=1

KiKi III wrote: »
    I got liposuction on my belly. It’s not very noticeable, but I feel like my body is more proportional.

I was at a family funeral recently and saw the women on my Mam’s side, who I take after, all look 18 months pregnant.

Weight is about diet and lifestyle primarily, but age and genetics are also factors.

If the money I spent (about €3k) means I don’t carry my weight on my belly like them, I consider it money well spent.

At the time, that was about 30% of what I had in savings.

Is that painful? I think they keep you awake for it, don't they?

You're so slight in real life, I'd never have imagined it, but it's a very personal thing, and we all have things that bug us which others might not even notice!

A relative of mine, won't say who, had her eyes lifted. Again, nothing that anyone else had noticed, but it definitely seems to have improved her self confidence, so good on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

I think I've only bought groceries in the last 3 months.

Where did you get your food and supplies before that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Is that painful? I think they keep you awake for it, don't they?

You're so slight in real life, I'd never have imagined it, but it's a very personal thing, and we all have things that bug us which others might not even notice!

A relative of mine, won't say who, had her eyes lifted. Again, nothing that anyone else had noticed, but it definitely seems to have improved her self confidence, so good on her.

It wasn’t painful at all, local anesthetic and I walked home afterwards. I’ve had worse trips to the dentist.

atticu wrote: »
    Where did you get your food and supplies before that?

I'm a notorious shoplifter, fam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My extravagance is holidays. I try and get away three to four times a year. Normally two really good holidays in May and August/September and then two long weekends away...

I think when you slog your guts out or even not it’s great to avail of a change of scenery. Treat yourself to a really decent hotel, lounge at the airport, chauffeurs to transport you airport - hotel and back again... been using a great travel agent for years who has a great in-depth knowledge of every aspect of travel, to everywhere .... they are perfect..staff love their jobs, are travel fanatics themselves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs got a tooth implant (Not a front tooth)- that was pricey but she really wanted it done.
    Spent €500 on a gas grill(BBQ) a couple of months ago - it is my second one and it will get used a lot.

Over the last year or so, I've discovered Japanese raw denim and have since bought 2 pairs of jeans - one blue and one black. To me, they are silly expensive but I really love them and they should last a hell of a long time. I'd like to think that I won't need/want any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Have 2 shotguns and 2 rifles at home.

Think my rifle is standing me about 6k at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Strumms wrote: »
    My extravagance is holidays. I try and get away three to four times a year. Normally two really good holidays in May and August/September and then two long weekends away...

I think when you slog your guts out or even not it’s great to avail of a change of scenery. Treat yourself to a really decent hotel, lounge at the airport, chauffeurs to transport you airport - hotel and back again... been using a great travel agent for years who has a great in-depth knowledge of every aspect of travel, to everywhere .... they are perfect..staff love their jobs, are travel fanatics themselves..

Hello neighbour...........

boards.jpg

God I don't know. One person's extravagance would be another's run of the mill ordinary.
    I am in the process of getting bespoke glasses. Mine are in dire need of the bin but I absolutely love them. They are rimless and fit my face perfectly. I want a pair that is as subtle as possible and takes up the least amount of my face. This is proving to be very challenging. So I'm going to get a pair made just for me.

I spend a bit of money on skincare and makeup but I don't think it would be extravagant. Perhaps extravagance isn't about cost though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't think I have any extravagances but I do believe in spending money on something you like rather than saving money on something you don't. So my couch was really expensive as is my coffee table but I really like the look of them, they're beautiful and I would rather that than have to look at something I hate everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Probably a new drum kit which cost well over a grand about ten years ago and other various parts acquired for it over the years. Drum gear is very expensive.

Oh and Faberge eggs, have a weakness for them too.

I spent a lot of money on a special mattress that was made extra firm on one side which is the OH's preference, and has softer support on my side. We also have some original artwork that I bought the husband as a wedding present. I have a thing for nice bedlinen and have definitely spent more than I really had to on that kind of thing, so I suppose that counts too.

The one that shocks people is the money I spent on a set of All-Clad cookware, but it's a once in a lifetime purchase and worth it to me.

I'm not sure if any of them are extravagances though, to me something is extravagant if it has scant value or utility or is expensive and frivolous in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ve occasionally spent €30 or €40 on a pair of tights. But they always lasted for ages.

I never buy the cheapest tights. It’s worth spending money on them so they don’t start rolling down your thighs in public. A good pair doesn’t ladder as easily either. Some, you snag them and they don’t ladder at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Harps. Paid a fair amount for the two that I have..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Business class seats on long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A wheel barrow with a pneumatic tyre and a concrete mixer

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

I’ve occasionally spent €30 or €40 on a pair of tights. But they always lasted for ages.

I never buy the cheapest tights. It’s worth spending money on them so they don’t start rolling down your thighs in public. A good pair doesn’t ladder as easily either. Some, you snag them and they don’t ladder at all.

Really? What brand, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’d spend about €16 on a pair of tights / stayups (Falke brand) and, bam, ladders in them after about one wear.

Then again, I’m a clumsy biach.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

hedzball wrote: »
    Have 2 shotguns and 2 rifles at home.

Think my rifle is standing me about 6k at this stage

Was it your money and you just didn't want to fill in the forms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I've no issue with spending extra on items of quality and I've no issue spending close to the least amount I can on other items if I don't see how the more expensive version offers any more value.

I am not one for restaurants; a burrito does me fine, but my misses loves the atmosphere of pubs/restaurants and would expect a decent meal at a restaurant with good atmosphere to easily cost over €150+. I don't get atmosphere, but that's just me.

That's her extravagance, and to me it's mad and crazy money, but it makes her happy.

Truth me told, I don't really have any extravagance, I don't spend anything mad on anything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Eclipse chasing. Flights and big car/small truck hire, plus basic accommodation, always in whatever part of the world is going to be the most popular destination for that 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Currently planning my wedding for next year. We're not even choosing particularly ostentatious stuff but it's still running us silly money.

I'm excited to have the day we both want though, and we're lucky enough that we can afford it by being careful with our doe for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Candie wrote: »
    I spent a lot of money on a special mattress that was made extra firm on one side which is the OH's preference, and has softer support on my side. We also have some original artwork that I bought the husband as a wedding present. I have a thing for nice bedlinen and have definitely spent more than I really had to on that kind of thing, so I suppose that counts too.

Mattresses is a good one. What's the old saying; always spend money on shoes and beds because if you're not in one you're in the other.

Which reminds me, I ordered a Herman Miller chair during lockdown. Expensive, but I've had problems with my hip which made me have to do physio so an ergonomic chair could save me money if it helps prevent a reoccurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Three things;

1. An E-Bike. Cost new €2100, was for sale for €1700 as it was a demo model, got €500 off on Bike to Work, so €1200 net. I've cycled huge amouts on it, have it 20 months and have made the money back on saving on Luas and bus fares. Oh yeah, Ryanair lost it and paid me €1400. I found it again and spent €200 bringing it back here, so it owes me nothing by now.

2. Go Pro Hero Black 7 camera; €400. I've rarely used it, but have some fabulous video from it on holidays that I would never have gotten using the phone, so it's worth it IMO.

3. I purchased 5 Jack B. Yeats sketches, and drawings, for about €7,000 in 2010, when I could have spent the money on holidays and having a decent life. It was cash I had from a last bonus at work, I had started my own business and wasn't far off living hand to mouth. Insured for €15,000 right now, possibly worth a bit more than that. Only art I've ever purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The one that shocks people is the money I spent on a set of All-Clad cookware, but it's a once in a lifetime purchase and worth it to me.

I'm not sure if any of them are extravagances though, to me something is extravagant if it has scant value or utility or is expensive and frivolous in some way.

Why didn't you just get two separate matresses?

I have a king size bed 200cm x 180cm and have 2 90 X 200 matresses of differing firmness in the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

KevRossi wrote: »
    Three things;

1. An E-Bike. Cost new €2100, was for sale for €1700 as it was a demo model, got €500 off on Bike to Work, so €1200 net. I've cycled huge amouts on it, have it 20 months and have made the money back on saving on Luas and bus fares. Oh yeah, Ryanair lost it and paid me €1400. I found it again and spent €200 bringing it back here, so it owes me nothing by now.

2. Go Pro Hero Black 7 camera; €400. I've rarely used it, but have some fabulous video from it on holidays that I would never have gotten using the phone, so it's worth it IMO.

3. I purchased 5 Jack B. Yeats sketches, and drawings, for about €7,000 in 2010, when I could have spent the money on holidays and having a decent life. It was cash I had from a last bonus at work, I had started my own business and wasn't far off living hand to mouth. Insured for €15,000 right now, possibly worth a bit more than that. Only art I've ever purchased.

Ryanair lost it and you found it again??

It went missing from one of their flights and you found it on the side of the road in another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Currently planning my wedding for next year. We're not even choosing particularly ostentatious stuff but it's still running us silly money.

I'm excited to have the day we both want though, and we're lucky enough that we can afford it by being careful with our doe for the next 12 months.

Doe or dole?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Over the last year or so, I've discovered Japanese raw denim and have since bought 2 pairs of jeans - one blue and one black. To me, they are silly expensive but I really love them and they should last a hell of a long time.
    The quality denim does last a helluva long time T. Not a bad investment at all in my humble. I've two pair of UK made 501's I got in the 90's. Still rocking along, no frays no thin patches. A current made in China pair would be lucky to see out a year. The Japanese selvedge stuff is very nice quality.

I've no real extravagances, at least not in the singular, but I would be an inveterate collector of interesting things. To me anyway. Again no mad expense in the singular but put together there'd be a few bob involved. Though on the other hand pretty much all would be worth more than I paid, some bits and bobs way more. EG I collected vintage wristwatches for donkey's years before it became a wider and much more popular and much more expensive thing. My limit was always 200 quid and usually got them for much less. Most would be now worth at least double, some well more than double. The most I ever paid was a 1000 quid, and boy did I need a stiff drink or three after that purchase, but today the same model goes for 5000, so... Then again I never had any profit motive in play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Do you ever swap positions when you're on that mattress, just to see what if feels like?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭HotMama89

Hate my thin short hair that has never really grown so I spend about 1k every 6 months getting good quality hair extensions. Will also go for luxury hotels on holidays and nights away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Before discovering the watches & timepieces forum ;)
    Which Mrs Banie has put her foot down on, when she found out how much I'd "invested"! :pac:😉

I suppose my biggest extravagance would either have been my tendency to splurge on electronic gear.
    I generally switched TVs on a regular basis, latest phones, Satellite equipment and other things that would catch my eye. Very impulsive spender at times but as I got older that has dissipated.(apart from watches)

I built a ManCave about 4yrs ago that I actually only finished off recently.
    It's a home for my and my son's collections as well as a cinema/gaming room. My son uses it as a study and doss space and it's a study /library/football safe zone for me ;)
    Also as we ran plumbing down there it does occasional service when the outlaws visit as a guest house.
    Lots of bits and between the build cost, fitting it out and the replacement value of the bits in there, I dread to type it but easily €80k all in I reckon. Jesus!!!

More recently my vice has been mechanical watches and 1 rather special tuning fork watch that is away to be refurbished at the mo...
    But soon it will be mine!

Holidays are always good, 1 big family 1 every year with a few breaks away just me and herself too.

I'm lucky in that I have a fair degree of latitude to spend without worrying about rent/mortgage or any other issues.
    Not at all rich, but very financially independent.
    Coming from a family of 8, where often growing up finding which shops would trade butter vouchers for food, borrowing food off neighbours or sitting in the dark after the ESB was cut off...
    It gives me a sense of comfort, safety and accomplishment to know my son won't ever have to face that kind deprivation, despite my being a 40y.o pensioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have a gym in my basement, but it's probably paid itself off over the years with the fees I would have paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KoolKluxKlan

Definitely cars, have changed car every 3 years since I was 20, currently on an audi A7.
    Wouldnt really splurge on anything else, probably a bit tight on some things even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

IF I'd bought the reciprocating saw in Lidl for 40€, I'd have considered that an extravagance, seeing as I already have three chainsaws, a circular saw, a table saw, a band saw, a jigsaw and all kinds of other cutting tools.

But I didn't.

Instead, I bought a mini-digger with a whole clatter of attachments for 200 times the price. Just hope it's delivered before the novelty wears off ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

IF I'd bought the reciprocating saw in Lidl for 40€, I'd have considered that an extravagance, seeing as I already have three chainsaws, a circular saw, a table saw, a band saw, a jigsaw and all kinds of other cutting tools.

But I didn't.

Instead, I bought a mini-digger with a whole clatter of attachments for 200 times the price. Just hope it's delivered before the novelty wears off ... :D

Hope you get good use out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Really? What brand, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’d spend about €16 on a pair of tights / stayups (Falke brand) and, bam, ladders in them after about one wear.

Then again, I’m a clumsy biach.. :)

Get a few pairs of Snag tights. They stay up, have lots of sizes and colours, and I've found them fairly durable.

I just pre-ordered the Remarkable 2 which I consider to be reasonably extravagant for a single purpose item, but as far as I'm concerned it'll save me a fortune in notebooks, so it's fair enough. I'm getting less impulsive than I used to be with money. I'd like a new phone, but can't justify it now. I'm not very extravagant. Though, I do go out to eat with friends regularly, rather than going to the pub, but it doesn't have to be expensive, just good.

Actually, keeping my car on the road is probably the biggest extravagance I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hope you get good use out of it

Even if it's just building sandcastles and digging trenches it'd be worth it...
    A skid steer wheeled bobcat, would be an ultimate apocalypse car ;)

But if he masters this?!
    It will be totally legendary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Been looking at buying into a yacht.
    I was astonished at how cheap shares in some of them can be. An old one well looked after by someone who's handy enough to not need to pay for work can really be buttons. Especially if you find someone who just wants rid, often because they bought in and realise after 10 years that they're never on it.
    You'd spend a lot a more on many hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Diamonds. The really really unethical kind.

My wife

(Or at least my biggest expense)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The only thing I can think of is concerts. Not that I attend very many. But the ones I do go to are the "aging rocker" types which are usually the most expensive, and which a lot of people would scoff at paying that amount of money for. It's worth it to me though, and you never know when will be your last chance to see some of the classics of rock. Though, alas, as time goes by and these musicians retire or die, I'm spending even less.

Other than that, I'm pretty frugal. Some may call it miserly but I do find great comfort in having a decent nest egg for the rainy day, or job loss or whatever unexpected thing might come down the line. That comfort is worth more to me than the material thing the money could buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I bought an industrial fan for our gaff.

And then the weather went to shit, natch. But I still love it. I was fed up with plasticky ones that break easily. The industrial one is like a wind machine so I cool down AND look sexy at the same time. How conveeeeenient.

8822-EAB1-77-C3-4859-8-F3-E-BFE959-E7-D737.jpg?dl=1

Ahhhh Jaysus never knew Bonnie Tyler frequented Boards!!

NSAman wrote: »
    Ahhhh Jaysus never knew Bonnie Tyler frequented Boards!!

By the way ..this is also the sound track to the best drag entrance EVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Motorbikes, if you’re into them you’ll understand if you’re not then no explanation will help.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

In reality ..i don't really have expenses ....when you can't have them you don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Probably my fortnightly manicures is my main extravagance. I mean, I spend money on other things too, but that's something that's purely for me and totally unnecessary, I just like looking down and seeing my pretty nails!!

Probably my fortnightly manicures is my main extravagance. I mean, I spend money on other things too, but that's something that's purely for me and totally unnecessary, I just like looking down and seeing my pretty nails!!

That is a necesity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement