Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

vektarman wrote: »
    First to see will buy.....:rolleyes:
    L@@K @ ME!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

vektarman wrote: »
    First to see will cry.....:rolleyes:

I've corrected that for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Asking 200 offered "100 cash today ...."

Cash? Really because I was expecting magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Riamfada wrote: »
    Cash? Really because I was expecting magic beans.
    :) I always wondered the same, I can only think they mean a cheque but I doubt anyone has ever accepted a cheque on a private sale like that.

Sometimes its not just regular cash though, its cold hard cash. None of this warm & soft shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I must be the only person who's never had a bad interaction on Adverts... Have sold/bought thousands worth there and I much prefer being able to see feedback, have the questions I answer be public to avoid constant barrages of identical texts. Used Donedeal once and wouldn't rush back in a hurry.

Oh, I've also used the free section loads. When I first moved in with the GF we got a great 32" Sony CRT which kept us going over a year until we upgraded to a 'real' TV, at which point it went straight back up on adverts free section and ended up going to a student house. It's the best resource of its kind that I know of, 'me please'ers aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Never had an issue, love the site

Except for this one time, a guy was selling a jedward cd and I posted a joke on the ad so he left me negative feedback (against the rules of the site). This was 5 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Some people are a bit off the scale but generally its good.

I was looking for the complete DVD boxset of the Sopranos. Saw one selling trying to get €100 for it, when its on Amazon, brand new for £36, and if Amazon isnt you bag (or the delivery was too much) then its on HMV.ie for €60.

When this was pointed out, the response was "well I know what I paid for it so I'm not accepting less than €100"

FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

esforum wrote: »
    jesus, thats one angry angry man for absolutely no apparant reason.

(and he has 31 feedback score, so not a pisstake account either)

Perhaps he's sold the house or emigrating..seemed reasonable to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yeah that sort of thing is a bit ridiculous alright, as a seller you have to be realistic. It's the same kind of person who thinks their house is still "worth" what they paid for it in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lot of laughable ****e being sold, masquerading as 'antiques and collectables'.

Complete chancers and dreamers judging by the optimistic prices for junk.

A skip would be the right place for most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I find Adverts OK. I've a few rules that I follow though.

1: I put "no swaps" in my ads.
    2: I put a price a few percent more than I'm looking for.
    3: When somebody makes a decent offer I see from their history if they're a timewaster or not and treat accordingly.
    4: If I accept an offer the buyer has a day to get the ball rolling.

The next ones are important.

5: I ignore anybody who says they'll swap for X, Y or Z.
    6: I ignore the mental offers e.g. less than 50% of what I'm looking for.
    7: You only get my phone number when you've made an offer that I've accepted.

I've a mate who doesn't have rule 5, 6 & 7 and ends up dealing with some nut jobs who seem to have nothing else to do except send on pointless questions. He seems to get stressed by them. I just don't deal with them at all. They can post messages to themselves all day on the ad if they want.

I put up no swaps and then report those who ask for detailing my listing . normally gets them removed and it then I block them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I never understand the whole 'cash today' thing. Like if one was desperate to sell something at short notice, shortly they make it known in the ad, if they're ready to sell way below asking price, etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Funniest one I saw was about a year ago. Some dude selling something with lots of ****NO SWAPS*** signage all over the ad.

1st poster- swap? 2nd poster Swap?
    The seller was fuming. About 8 different posters came in quickly with more offers of Swap?

Turns out the seller was notorious for seeking swaps on No Swap ads and each poster started putting links to ads where he'd tried it on.

I've never sold on it but do buy off it. It's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Some people are a bit off the scale but generally its good.

I was looking for the complete DVD boxset of the Sopranos. Saw one selling trying to get €100 for it, when its on Amazon, brand new for £36, and if Amazon isnt you bag (or the delivery was too much) then its on HMV.ie for €60.

When this was pointed out, the response was "well I know what I paid for it so I'm not accepting less than €100"

FFS!

What's more annoying is that if you point out blatant gouging and show it's not worth what they are asking, Adverts moderators will delete your comments for "ad spoiling" :rolleyes:

Adverts is grand, yes it's full of spoofers and annoying kids - but it's free and I like their no touting on tickets policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I had a free tv up recently and was asked

"Do you come in Dublin often?"
    When I replied that I hadn't come in Dublin for years,the reply was
    "Can you post?"

It's a free sh1te telly ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

My gf placed an offer on an Iphone. The seller was slow so she placed another offer on another add and bought it there. The original seller sent a really ratty PM that she had to accept it because she placed an offer as these were the rules of the site. Left negative feedback stating the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Adverts is alright to sell stuff if you have plenty of time to deal with the timewasters, the low-ballers, and the people who just can't read!

I always put plenty of detail into my ads and a few decent pics and a link to the manufacturer's website and yet you'll still get people who ask things you've already answered or who are too lazy to do their own research.

Then there's the "what's your best price" types.... er, I put down an asking price. Feel free to make me an offer, but if I wanted less I'd have asked for less.

Not forgetting of course the people who will offer to swap you whatever shyte they can't shift themselves... er no!

Oh and the folks who want you to meet them an hour or two away despite you saying clearly it's collection or postage at their expense!

At this stage I have a template I use that includes this at the bottom:
    Please, before bidding and to save us all time:
    - Read the description and research the model/reviews etc
    - NO SWAPS. Cash only
    - No silly offers! I'm not going to give this away and I'm in no rush.

Doesn't always work though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Riamfada wrote: »
    My gf placed an offer on an Iphone. The seller was slow so she placed another offer on another add and bought it there. The original seller sent a really ratty PM that she had to accept it because she placed an offer as these were the rules of the site. Left negative feedback stating the same.

Have had this happen to me. Send a support ticket and they removed the negative feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I had a 1950s omega watch up there for sale once.
    Asking price was €500, sold for €400- happy enough.
    But one chancer offered me €50 on the grounds that the watch was second hand and too old to work properly. Muppets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

Don't forget to set minimum offer for all the items and you will avoid the ridiculous offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

ahmsalo wrote: »
    Don't forget to set minimum offer for all the items and you will avoid the ridiculous offers

The Muppets bypass that by putting the offer in a 'question'. Clever Muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Sold a treadmill on Donedeal couple of years ago. Was taking up space and hawked it around my friends as a freebie before putting it up for sale so wasn't overly bothered about cash.

Agreed a sale for €200. Guy turns up and says he only has €100. Bit cheeky I thought but wanted rid of it and he was here now.

Begin struggling down from second floor apartment with the heavy bastard of a machine and notice he has someone with him. "Who's he?" "My son. The treadmill's a present for his 21st". "Grand" said I. "Young, fit lad. He can help you carry the ****ing thing". Took the cash, closed the door and took a perverse pleasure in watching the two of them try to fit it into the boot of a Passat for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Collie D wrote: »
    Sold a treadmill on Donedeal couple of years ago. Was taking up space and hawked it around my friends as a freebie before putting it up for sale so wasn't overly bothered about cash.

Agreed a sale for €200. Guy turns up and says he only has €100. Bit cheeky I thought but wanted rid of it and he was here now.

Begin struggling down from second floor apartment with the heavy bastard of a machine and notice he has someone with him. "Who's he?" "My son. The treadmill's a present for his 21st". "Grand" said I. "Young, fit lad. He can help you carry the ****ing thing". Took the cash, closed the door and took a perverse pleasure in watching the two of them try to fit it into the boot of a Passat for half an hour.

That made me laugh out loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Another one that grinds my gears is each week without fail you'll see somebody selling a upc box

First of all its not theirs to sell

Secondly it's no good to anyone else

Chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

60e plus the Segal dvd?

How much for segal on his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

How much for segal on his own?

20e can collect tomorrow between the hours of 5 and 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I use it for selling car parts of a car I am breaking and find it excellent. Very useful for potential customers to be able to ask questions.

Only a few muppets - nobody has offered me "Under Siege".

Advertisement