Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Agricola wrote: »
    For selling, adverts is more suited to smaller value items.

Realistically it's more suited to shite you couldn't care less about and just want to off load.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is true. And the mods do nothing.
    esforum wrote: »
    Blatantly stolen stuff as well, The same people selling iphone after iphone, all 'locked' for an obvious and innocent reason. yeah right!

I find the mods a little contrary at times too. Had something for free before and stated straight up that I was giving to a good home, not a vulture. THe same vulture kept asking and asking and asking, must have reported the ad cause it got removed as and I quote "I wasnt responding to requests" despite having agreed to give it to someone already. On the flip side, I reported a guy for selling something thats illegal. Ad stayed up, told to call the Gardai. Yep, cause theres a somewhere in Ireland online only branch waiting to pounce!

After Hours is not the place to discuss the moderation of Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

smash wrote: »
    Realistically it's more suited to shite you couldn't care less about and just want to off load.

Exactly what im using it for - a spring clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

adverts is excellent

seller reviews and transparent interaction are invaluable for buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

one man's sh!te is another man's treasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

lawred2 wrote: »
    one man's sh!te is another man's treasure

You should check out Craigslist instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Adverts.ie is quite frankly the worst medium a seller can use.

I think you are spot on.

But I am just looking at it now and think it has gotten worse. The amount of low-ballers is unreal. We all know the deal everything is up for negotiation. But the kicker is that after a seller agrees to a low-ball offer (wants to get rid of it etc) all too often the buyer will "change their mind"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I think you are spot on.

But I am just looking at it now and think it has gotten worse. The amount of low-ballers is unreal. We all know the deal everything is up for negotiation. But the kicker is that after a seller agrees to a low-ball offer (wants to get rid of it etc) all too often the buyer will "change their mind"

At which point more low ballers will enter, offering a fraction of the original low ball price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Love Adverts. Have over 200+ Positive Feedback there and have always found their support fast and efficient. Cheap items I can sell for free and you don't need to pay to advertise more expensive items unless you have a successful sale.

I use DoneDone for selling stuff the odd time also but I stopped buying items on the site as I had so many bad experiences. Without Feedback you really might as well be buying items down the pub and even then you'd most likely know more about the seller than you would when you buy on DoneDeal. Course, same goes on Adverts I suppose if you are willing to buy from someone with zero feedback.

Not to say I haven't got sting on Adverts the odd time, I have, was one of those that bought concert tickets from the pube headed English chap a few years back. A long line of people would queue to him a kick in the nuts. I believe he went on to get arrested in the UK for selling fake iPhones in the end.

Someone above mentioned that when you accept an offer and the person reneges, that you are then stuck with the ad being spoiled. Well, a little trick I do is cancel the acceptance of the offer and in the pop-up write 'No thanks' or 'Sorry, looking for closing to the asking price'. Then it will just appear as if the user place an offer and you declined. Be sure and block them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Love Adverts. Have over 200+ Positive Feedback there and have always found their support fast and efficient. Cheap items I can sell for free and you don't need to pay to advertise more expensive items unless you have a successful sale.

Sell.... For free....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Sell.... For free....

Without paying to advertise them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Stumbled across this classic a while ago and made me think of this thread...

"xxxxxx12 130 offered

@xxxxxx12 yes. Place offer and I will pm details.

xxxxxx12 What papers are with the watch

@xxxxxx12 papers of Authenticity.

@xxxxxx12 Do you want this item?

xxxxxx12 No thanks could only give 100 euro for watch

@xxxxxx12 So why offer €130?"

Personally I've never sold anything on there but have bought a few items and all went well bar one where I agreed to collect an item on a Monday in Limerick, rang the seller to get directions and tell him I was on the way (from Cork) to be told that he had sold it over the weekend despite agreeing on the Friday to sell it to me !!
    Other than that things have gone well enough - just bought a camera there from a guy in Waterford that was a perfectly smooth transaction. A few things I've bought have been 'crossovers' in that they've also been on DoneDeal at the same time. Donedeal is handy to get their phone number and Adverts is handy to try to judge their mindset via the comments !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I've over 125 pslositive feedbacks of buying and selling. Few messes but overall my number 1 place to go when selling something.

I think some people just don't know what they're doing on it which results in people calling it a terrible site etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

And really, if you feel low and need a laugh, just look in the free stuff section, always works. This one is growing on me, first saw it a few months ago- ad is still going strong and after all that time still makes me smile..

http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/empty-box/9242023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

theres some greats in the free section, did a quick search but couldnt find them however I remember seeing a free ad for a free 'hardly used' bic pen

then there was the amazing gadget phone which was a brick nokia, pen, light, calculator and I believe a stapler all selotaped together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

esforum wrote: »
    theres some greats in the free section, did a quick search but couldnt find them however I remember seeing a free ad for a free 'hardly used' bic pen

then there was the amazing gadget phone which was a brick nokia, pen, light, calculator and I believe a stapler all selotaped together

I often browse the free section just to see what people will "Request". You can honestly give away part worn jocks on adverts ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

The free section brings out the best in people

http://www.adverts.ie/10166575

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

People should be banned from it if they ignore explicit requests for No Swaps in your ad description. Or stupidly lowball offers.

Tell that to the owners of the site who get money from the same people who sell stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

eeguy wrote: »
    The free section brings out the best in people

http://www.adverts.ie/10166575

jesus, thats one angry angry man for absolutely no apparant reason.

(and he has 31 feedback score, so not a pisstake account either)

^
    That's a bit of an interesting one alright.
    The owner (magshickey) Totally snubs the first user and goes to offer it to the second user.

But wouldn't you know that the second user has a profile picture of herself and links to her facebook.
    So Mr magshickey is gonna give it to her, hoping he can give it to her (wink wink) Tell me i'm wrong people? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

^
    That's a bit of an interesting one alright.
    The owner (magshickey) Totally snubs the first user and goes to offer it to the second user.

But wouldn't you know that the second user has a profile picture of herself and links to her facebook.
    So Mr magshickey is gonna give it to her, hoping he can give it to her (wink wink) Tell me i'm wrong people? :pac:

The first user didn't even request it. The ad clearly states that it has to be taken away and the only shipping option is collecting yet the first user asks about delivery. Fúck off, I would have ignored them too especially when there are a million others looking for it without dicking about and asking for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Buyer: €3 posted to Dublin?

Sellar: Sorry, postage is €4.50 and the item is €3, so how about €6 posted?

Buyer: €3 posted to Dublin?

The first user didn't even request it. The ad clearly states that it has to be taken away and the only shipping option is collecting yet the first user asks about delivery. Fúck off, I would have ignored them too especially when there are a million others looking for it without dicking about and asking for delivery.

Oh yeah. Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Seriously. Between questions being asked that are idiotic and usually answered in the item description, and ridiculous offers

Typical interaction:

Gold bar €1000 ono

"Offer 50e and and a used dvd of under siege starring Steven segal. "

Not a bad offer when the DVD is included, gotta start the offer low and negotiate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I'd imagine NarNar has harried everyone who has ever tried to sell some tech bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Even Delboy + Rodney in 'only fools + horses' would be wary of using ADVERTS.IE

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The problem with adverts isn't the site, it's the swappers and eejits using it.
    If I advertise something on Donedeal you can be sure the first text is "best price for phone?" initiating a lengthy text conversation that ends with me not selling to this eejit.

I much prefer when seller and buyer can discuss in the advert and then meet just to seal deal. I've sold many things on adverts and never a bother, because I ignore eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

biko wrote: »
    If I advertise something on Donedeal you can be sure the first text is "best price for phone?" initiating a lengthy text conversation that ends with me not selling to this eejit.

I much prefer when seller and buyer can discuss in the advert and then meet just to seal deal. I've sold many things on adverts and never a bother, because I ignore eejits.

I like Adverts because you can deal with the idiots anonymously and online. If somebody offers a stupid price or offers a swap when I said "no swaps" then I just ignore them. I'll leave an ad there for a week or two and somebody sensible always comes along eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

biko wrote: »

i think it is the sites problem,those egits are of no benefit to adverts,in fact they detract from the site and adverts do nothing about it...they don't pay for advertising a lot of the time as they just withdraw the ad which doesn't require payment.
    Adverts could be a great site..it has great potential..and it would be so easily resolved by charging a small fee for each listing. The format is great but it's managed soooo bad.
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

First to see will buy.....:rolleyes:

Advertisement