Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is the second one near newtown forbes? if so, that was built way before the celtic tiger I think.

Just outside Newtownforbes.

It was started in the mid-2000s, and stalled around the time of the crash.

The other one is near Mullingar - up until 3/4 years ago there used be small bits of activity, as if someone was trying to scrape together a few € to slowly get it over the line. Not much movement there since 2015/16 though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

blackwhite wrote: »

The other one is near Mullingar - up until 3/4 years ago there used be small bits of activity, as if someone was trying to scrape together a few € to slowly get it over the line. Not much movement there since 2015/16 though

Theres an old merc parked out the front of the mullingar one. I wonder how much itd be for sale for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Anytime I'm headed for the Northwest this reminder of the Celtic Tiger always catches my eye

Check out this monstrosity between Stradbally and Portlaoise. The only difference between the 2009 and 2019 version id that somebody came and got the scaffolding:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0233559,-7.1861583,3a,83.9y,177.24h,90.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szxtBpb0jg9e5GnkLDfpGjw!2e0!5s20090501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Would love to know the story behind it, still there today,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

im pretty sure the newtown forbes one was built in the 90's.

im pretty sure the newtown forbes one was built in the 90's.

I moved to Dublin in the mid-2000s, and remember there being work ongoing when I'd be travelling home for football.

Surely all the jaeger bombs during the Tiger years hasn't addled my memory that much :confused::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Surely all the jaeger bombs during the Tiger years hasn't addled my memory that much :confused::D

I have to admit I do not recall Jaeger Bombs during that period. I would associate Jaeger Bombs with the last 10 years rather than the 10 years before it. It was more vodka and redbulls...oh and Aftersock but I generally avoid shots.

I moved to Dublin in the mid-2000s, and remember there being work ongoing when I'd be travelling home for football.

Im going to have to ask someone, I live not that far from that house and would be on that road since I was a kid. I have memories of passing it when I would have been going to Dublin on school tours and to matches etc which was in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Then there's this place outside Strokestown. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.7708545,-8.0891092,461m/data=!3m1!1e3

Built by the son of a local quarry owner turned developer. House had over €1,000,000 spent on it and still had no windows in it. Guttering was made of stone and supposedly cost near to €100,000 alone. Largest house to be built in Co. Roscommon since the 1870's. Garage for 12 cars for his supercar collection. Last he was in the news he owed €149,000,000.

He purchased a Ferrari F50, there were only about 400 ever made and all in left hand drive, with the exception of 3, specially commissioned for the Sultan of Brunei. One of them was to be sold (around 2005). Amongst those looking to purchase it were Nick Mason, Nick Faldo, Eric Clapton and some others. It ended out with yer man in Strokestown.

he was in the news as he took €20,000 deposits on apartments in Santry and Carrickmines that were never built, the people who paid deposits got €200 back from the €20,000.

Had a speedboat in Monaco, it broke, so he sent 3 mechanics over to fix it, they took their time on it as they were staying in yer man's gaff in Monaco. Thing was, when they were gone the quarry had to slow down production as there were no mechanics to service the machinery.

There's a load of crazy stories surrounding the family, they were always a bit close to the edge, but the Celtic Tiger bought out the best/worst in them. They're still going strong, he had a string of Lambo's, Ferrari's and Lotus's during the recession.

Regarding the chap in strokestown, was he one of the developers who had a gun pointed at him after not paying his builders?

Regarding the chap in strokestown, was he one of the developers who had a gun pointed at him after not paying his builders?

He was threatened more than once AFAIK. But he was claiming to have nothing, but still got relatively new Lamborghini's over from the UK during the recession, so that plssed a lot of people off.

But he now has a close neighbour renting one of his houses who has also done a considerable stretch for a number of things, and that renter is also a prime suspect for being involved in murdering Veronica Guerin. I doubt he's paying too much rent.

So things have quietened down a bit there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

KevRossi wrote: »
    He was threatened more than once AFAIK. But he was claiming to have nothing, but still got relatively new Lamborghini's over from the UK during the recession, so that plssed a lot of people off.

But he now has a close neighbour renting one of his houses who has also done a considerable stretch for a number of things, and that renter is also a prime suspect for being involved in murdering Veronica Guerin. I doubt he's paying too much rent.

I remember hearing a story about him where the cars were put into shipping containers and the containers buried on the land when things went south.

Then there's this place outside Strokestown. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.7708545,-8.0891092,461m/data=!3m1!1e3

Built by the son of a local quarry owner turned developer. House had over €1,000,000 spent on it and still had no windows in it. Guttering was made of stone and supposedly cost near to €100,000 alone. Largest house to be built in Co. Roscommon since the 1870's. Garage for 12 cars for his supercar collection. Last he was in the news he owed €149,000,000.

He purchased a Ferrari F50, there were only about 400 ever made and all in left hand drive, with the exception of 3, specially commissioned for the Sultan of Brunei. One of them was to be sold (around 2005). Amongst those looking to purchase it were Nick Mason, Nick Faldo, Eric Clapton and some others. It ended out with yer man in Strokestown.

he was in the news as he took €20,000 deposits on apartments in Santry and Carrickmines that were never built, the people who paid deposits got €200 back from the €20,000.

Had a speedboat in Monaco, it broke, so he sent 3 mechanics over to fix it, they took their time on it as they were staying in yer man's gaff in Monaco. Thing was, when they were gone the quarry had to slow down production as there were no mechanics to service the machinery.

There's a load of crazy stories surrounding the family, they were always a bit close to the edge, but the Celtic Tiger bought out the best/worst in them. They're still going strong, he had a string of Lambo's, Ferrari's and Lotus's during the recession.

Are there no mechanics in Monaco?:confused:

I asked someone about the newtown forbes house, they reckon it was built about 25 years ago.

Im going to have to ask someone, I live not that far from that house and would be on that road since I was a kid. I have memories of passing it when I would have been going to Dublin on school tours and to matches etc which was in the 90's.

Could well have started back then - but def remember seeing works ongoing when driving that road - which would have been 2005 onwards

Possibly efforts at restarting works when people had a few quid again

Could well have started back then - but def remember seeing works ongoing when driving that road - which would have been 2005 onwards

Possibly efforts at restarting works when people had a few quid again

maybe, its sad to see houses half built like that. you would feel sorry for the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭thebronze14

Ireland playing away to France in a qualifier and 30/40000 Irish people being there was pretty boomy looking back on it! I was in college 05-08 in Dublin so saw a little of the tiger but didn't have much money myself to partake. I remember people getting taxis for ridiculously short journeys alright and mates not giving a feck about getting change back from the shop. I remember long queues to get into nightclubs and heaving bars. It's gotten to that stage again with the bars in Dublin pre covid! Worked in the nightclub/hotel at home 2002-2007 and Donegal wasn't as bad as Dublin. I did get some big tips during weddings and plenty of young people were throwing around money on double vodkas and red bulls and 2 pints of fat frog for 16.20. Nightclub was packed Thur-Sunday. Now it's just about open on a Sat although that has more to do with young people's drinking habits. I'm a Primary teacher so was lucky to get my first job in 2008. As things were getting cheaper and less flashy, it was the first time I had money so it was my boom really!!

maybe, its sad to see houses half built like that. you would feel sorry for the owners.

Always wonder how bad things must have gotten that they can’t keep tipping away slowly at it. When so much effort and money already poured into them

Always wonder how bad things must have gotten that they can’t keep tipping away slowly at it. When so much effort and money already poured into them

id say a lot of them are gone beyond the point of no return, especially the ones that don't even have windows in them.

I remember hearing a story about him where the cars were put into shipping containers and the containers buried on the land when things went south.

Hmmm... let's just say they're well hidden so Revenue couldn't touch them. Not sure what he has left now tbh.

He had a Ferrari 360, sold it for €105,000 when things were going south around 2009/10. He put out a press release saying that he paid Revenue €72,000 the next day. What he omitted was that the €72K was the VRT on a second hand Lamborghini Murcielago he had picked up in the UK. That's how brazen he was.

Are there no mechanics in Monaco?:confused:

When you're used to getting stuff done right NOW!, then you use your own mechanics. He'd be small fry in Monaco and there's a lot of the Cote d'Azure where they look down on 'new money'. If you're a mechanic you look after 'old money' first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Ireland playing away to France in a qualifier and 30/40000 Irish people being there was pretty boomy looking back on it! I was in college 05-08 in Dublin so saw a little of the tiger but didn't have much money myself to partake. I remember people getting taxis for ridiculously short journeys alright and mates not giving a feck about getting change back from the shop. I remember long queues to get into nightclubs and heaving bars. It's gotten to that stage again with the bars in Dublin pre covid! Worked in the nightclub/hotel at home 2002-2007 and Donegal wasn't as bad as Dublin. I did get some big tips during weddings and plenty of young people were throwing around money on double vodkas and red bulls and 2 pints of fat frog for 16.20. Nightclub was packed Thur-Sunday. Now it's just about open on a Sat although that has more to do with young people's drinking habits. I'm a Primary teacher so was lucky to get my first job in 2008. As things were getting cheaper and less flashy, it was the first time I had money so it was my boom really!!

Drinking vodka n red bull (and not keeping half of the red bull for the next vodka ) like it was going out of fashion. None of that cheap imitation boost either , no sir .

You had to get into the main pubs by 7-8 pm to get a good seat and access to the bar ... now (And even as far back as 2008ish) , going out at 9-10 pm is plenty of time

Sunday night big session, after Saturday night was a done thing too, maybe even Friday night

Never understood the jagermeister crap though . Stupid waste .

Donegal , specifically Letterkenny was a good place 7 days a week for a night out in 2002-2007 , least during the college year. During the summers , ya still had the weekends which use to be insane getting into places. Sunday was hoping with free in to the grill nightclub

They had something like 3 nightclubs (By 2004ish with the Milan) , big proper well known night clubs along a 1 km stretch , and then a few other disco bars Like Mono/voodoo , the cavern , sister Sarah’s (huge place) and the orchard ...no need for taxi etc . That’s excluding the old man bars like Mcginelys, Cottage etc , and the Oasis at the shopping centre

All of them were hoping several nights a week

It managed to stay relatively cheap to stay in too

You knew **** was hitting the fan when you Could get Any drug under the sun , in any regional town , with very little hassle . Them Dubliners grrr lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

All of them were hoping several nights a week

Hoping for what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Hoping for what exactly?

Typing error. “Hopping”

Something I liked about those days was the relative ease with which one could find an OK job, not the crass excessive spending of money that seemed to follow.

In a relatively short space of time with just one single employer I saw some examples like the following, and I'm sure there were a lot more:

Unemployed guy out walking his dog on a Sunday afternoon on the industrial estate where the factory was, notices the warehouse door is open and wanders over to ask around if we were hiring at the time. His logic being that Sunday overtime was a rarity back then so it follows there might be a job or two going. Fair enough, sure what's the harm in just asking anyway. The warehouse supervisor is extremely busy as it happens, hires your man on the spot, immediate start, as in right now. He ties up the dog with a bowl of water and a few leftovers from the lunch, this is about one-ish in the afternoon with the lads working flat out hoping to get out by six-ish so it's a fair busy Sunday. Supervisor decides if the guy hasn't a clue what he's doing then just throw him a few quid from the petty cash box at closing time and tell him to eff off, and if he's any good then consider this as his interview and tell him come back the next morning with his bank details, last P45, and what ever else he needs.

Saw one guy also just walk in off the street, he was walking around factories handing in CVs without them necessarily advertising in public that they were hiring (something a lot of businesses didn't need to bother doing at the time). By happenstance the customer services manager just left his desk to go to the jacks at that particular moment. He told me himself how he was sick to death of the production manager getting handed all the new CVs coming in the door regardless of which department actually did or did not need staff. So he made a quick dash out to the receptionist to ask what was that guy just looking for and to show him the CV he was after dropping. He then followed the applicant out into the car park and waved him down before he could drive away, and again asked him to start the next day.

There was an Italian guy, perhaps best described as "an academic" we'll say, was taking a sort of sojourn or career break for a year from his university in Milan. His job was kept open for him so no big deal in that sense, basically all he wanted to do was tour Europe with his new Japanese girlfriend and learn about the practical aspects of day-to-day life in other countries. You know, experience things the rest of us take for granted but never have to do in other countries such as find a flat, open a bank account, deal with the ESB and so on. I think he was researching a book but that's beside the point. Anyway, he knocked on the wrong door with his CV. He went to the employees entrance rather than the business and reception area. He was met by the production supervisor who interviewed him on the spot. Interview took place as they walked from the door to the production lines, took about 45 seconds, and went as follows:

Q - Are you free to start immediately?
    A - Yes
    Q - Now, when I say "immediately" did you understand that I meant I want you to stand next to that guy over there in the green t-shirt and do whatever you see him doing, right?
    A - Excuse me, what do you mean?
    Q - Do you have to be anywhere important between right now and 4 o'clock this afternoon when we finish?
    A - No
    Q - That's what I meant. You're hired. Do you want me to take your jacket? It'll get filthy in here from the boxes, I'll just keep it in my office and you can come back out to me at 4.00 and get it back. I'll have a proper locker for you in the morning but I haven't the time right now.

That'll probably sound far-fetched these days, but I swear to God I know every single person I just mentioned there, they all held jobs for at least a year or more, and never so much as once asked for any kind of reference or background check. Come to think of it nor was I.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was it the developer who went into hiding for 6 months, grew a long shaggy beard and then emerged on the side of the road roughed up a bit and said he was kidnapped by the Russian mafia? That story was unreal, funnily enough the Gardai knew he was making it all up pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wasnt Josephine’s in Urlingford sold for big money only for the bypass to get the go ahead a couple of years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was it the developer who went into hiding for 6 months, grew a long shaggy beard and then emerged on the side of the road roughed up a bit and said he was kidnapped by the Russian mafia? That story was unreal, funnily enough the Gardai knew he was making it all up pretty quickly.

Different guy but a right piece of work nonetheless

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/kevin-mcgeever-swindler-who-faked-his-own-abduction-1

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

That house outside newtownforbes is well before the celtic tiger, I believe the person building it was killed which is why it was never finished.

The one outside mullingar is still tipping along, I've seen lights in it when I drove past it a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

razorblunt wrote: »
    Wasnt Josephine’s in Urlingford sold for big money only for the bypass to get the go ahead a couple of years later.

Applegreen brought it. 6months later gone. Also huge hotel built across the road. All the steel was stood and contractor went wallop. Stood like that for 12yrs before it was bought and converted into a nursing home.

Think the one in cashel is still going? Used to be rammed with truckers and FAS lads in there jap imports on a Saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Applegreen brought it. 6months later gone. Also huge hotel built across the road. All the steel was stood and contractor went wallop. Stood like that for 12yrs before it was bought and converted into a nursing home.

Think the one in cashel is still going? Used to be rammed with truckers and FAS lads in there jap imports on a Saturday night

Josephine's is a sad site now. The hotel across the road was bought in the last few years and finished and turned into a nursing home
    That motherhuburds in castle. Still going but not to sane extenr. Id say the expansion of the cashel Mcdonalds might be the end

Advertisement