Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

08-05-2020, 22:33   #31
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfceiling View Post
I worked with Kevin Lynch's nephew for years. I'm from the north with a protestant father and catholic mother. No religion in our house.
He took a fair while to warm to me but we became great pals. He would have given me the shirt from his back. We never discussed politics (I've no interest) but we had loads of shared interests.

Hopefully the peace becomes stronger in the north and the youth will drive the hatred away for ever.
Any normal person be they orange or green background just don't care, it was relevant in the past but thank God it's nearly gone,
You're a Dungiven man I take it? Sur, went to Romania with a few lads and one lady from there ( they've a pub in the town)
Advertisement
09-05-2020, 16:26   #32
mfceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Any normal person be they orange or green background just don't care, it was relevant in the past but thank God it's nearly gone,
You're a Dungiven man I take it? Sur, went to Romania with a few lads and one lady from there ( they've a pub in the town)
Dungiven how dare you!! Rural Tyrone!! We worked for the same company. All Derry lads and me the hateful blow in as they called me!!
09-05-2020, 21:47   #33
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfceiling View Post
Dungiven how dare you!! Rural Tyrone!! We worked for the same company. All Derry lads and me the hateful blow in as they called me!!
Haha Love it, imagine me with a vv broad Cork city accent living in the Creggan,and worked in clubs for years bouncing
Sure Brolly was born in Tyrone
09-05-2020, 21:55   #34
antgal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Haha Love it, imagine me with a vv broad Cork city accent living in the Creggan,and worked in clubs for years bouncing
Sure Brolly was born in Tyrone
Met a guy in Florida in the 90s, tall unit of a man, originally from the Creggan, can't mind his name - such a character

It was Big Noel

Last edited by antgal23; 10-05-2020 at 08:52.
Thanks from:
09-05-2020, 21:56   #35
SEPT 23 1989

Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-05-2020, 11:25   #36
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgal23 View Post
Met a guy in Florida in the 90s, tall unit of a man, originally from the Creggan, can't mind his name - such a character

It was Big Noel
Thats very informative
Thanks from:
10-05-2020, 11:29   #37
NIMAN

History wise, the thing that always amazed me was how the PM of Britain let one of her country's MPs starve themselves to death.

I always try to imagine if some MP in Birmingham or Glasgow had a belief in something as strong as BS, and starved to death, how would it have gone down with the British people?
(3) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 13:45   #38
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
History wise, the thing that always amazed me was how the PM of Britain let one of her country's MPs starve themselves to death.

I always try to imagine if some MP in Birmingham or Glasgow had a belief in something as strong as BS, and starved to death, how would it have gone down with the British people?
If the MP was a member of an organisation that slaughtered young people on a night out in Birmingham, Guildford or people shopping in London they probably wouldnt be too concerned.
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 18:16   #39
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
If the MP was a member of an organisation that slaughtered young people on a night out in Birmingham, Guildford or people shopping in London they probably wouldnt be too concerned.
They murdered 2 of Corks elected Lord mayor's,shot one in his bed
Advertisement
10-05-2020, 18:18   #40
corks finest

Quote:
Bobby Sands never set foot in Britain,and if u want to bring up slaughtered civilians Google"Bomber Harris" royal air force he managed a score of 10s of thousands of ordinary civilians in Cologne etc
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 18:20   #41
corks finest

Quote:
Or if he was a British army chap who murdered via plastic bullets innocent Irish children.
Or bloody Sunday etc etc,it goes on
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2020, 18:23   #42
Blaaz_

Quote:
It really should've saved his life though

They died for what were very modest political compromises
Thanks from:
10-05-2020, 18:24   #43
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
The likes of Bobby Sands had no mandate to kill anyone and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the men and women of the war of independence. And before you ask, I am a Republic, one that respects the decisions of the Irish people and one that signed up in 1981 to defend the Irish State against terrorists.

You brainwashed brand of republicanism is not the only flavour in town.
So Martin Luther King got what he deserved?
10-05-2020, 18:33   #44
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post

He was an MP in name only. Even if he wasn't in prison he wouldn't have attended parliament or participated in the democratic process to represent his constituents. Thatcher was pretty cold hearted, but I fail to see why she would or should care more about Sands just because he was an MP.
10-05-2020, 18:36   #45
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
He was an MP in name only. Even if he wasn't in prison he wouldn't have attended parliament or participated in the democratic process to represent his constituents. Thatcher was pretty cold hearted, but I fail to see why she would or should care more about Sands just because he was an MP.
Kieran Doherty was also a TD
( Irish member of parliament)
He also died
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed