Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 21 Paris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Junior wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/wlrfm/status/1307929652682514434

Video from the Bennett house for the sprint.

One thing is certain after this tour and thats that ourselves and the Slovenians do celebrating very differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do we know if Bennett is going to ride either the Vuelta or Giro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dulpit wrote: »
    Do we know if Bennett is going to ride either the Vuelta or Giro?

He won’t be going to the Giro. Vuelta is a possibility. A lot will depend on how he recovers from this. Unreal amount of cycling coming up with monuments clashing with Grand Tours (that overlap) so I’d imagine he’ll be busy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Great footage from Saint Morkov's bike coming up to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVHNpk2ZEQ&ab_channel=FloBikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

That's brilliant. Love Morkov's reaction too, "that was a fvcking dream" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Dodge wrote: »
    He won’t be going to the Giro. Vuelta is a possibility. A lot will depend on how he recovers from this. Unreal amount of cycling coming up with monuments clashing with Grand Tours (that overlap) so I’d imagine he’ll be busy anyway

Probably wont get a chane to defend the National championships either.

Here's the interview from Off The Ball this morning.

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/expectation-crippling-sam-bennett-1079121

He said he's got 3 more classics / semi-classics coming up but that there may be more to come. Said he doesn't know when he'll get home which I imagine means the nationals are out for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

LOL. I often bump into guys I've chatted to when racing and don't recognise them with normal clothes and no helmet.

I met one of the lads in the club I was in a few years back and had to do a double take - he was bald as a coot - I'd never seem him without the lid, This was after having been out for the weekend spin with him for most of the previous year :D

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/expectation-crippling-sam-bennett-1079121

He said he's got 3 more classics / semi-classics coming up but that there may be more to come. Said he doesn't know when he'll get home which I imagine means the nationals are out for sure.

Ide say it would be a bumper crowd if he shows up which is both good and bad these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

JMcL wrote: »
    I met one of the lads in the club I was in a few years back and had to do a double take - he was bald as a coot - I'd never seem him without the lid, This was after having been out for the weekend spin with him for most of the previous year :D

i was in a shop one day waiting to be served, gave a nod to a guy that was waiting too, we were both there for about 5 min until it was his turn, when he started talking the shop assistant, i recognised his voice, turns out i had been cycling with him twice a week for the previous 4 months, just had never seen him without a helmet and sun glasses.

I cautiously asked him was his name John when he was finished at the till :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ide say it would be a bumper crowd if he shows up which is both good and bad these days

Nationals are been run on a closed road circuit with no spectators - from the email I got I think morning.

Nationals are been run on a closed road circuit with no spectators - from the email I got I think morning.

I expected the start finished to be closed but was hoping I could perch somewhere along the route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Do you know what the route is Junior?

lennymc wrote: »
    Do you know what the route is Junior?

It's on the Newcastle West cycling facebook but not easy find.

TT route is NW to Rathkeale and back and the RR starts in Knockaderry and follows a 18km loop north east of the village and back in on North west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I expected the start finished to be closed but was hoping I could perch somewhere along the route

They are looking for volunteers to marshal.you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

• Advertisement

He was on with Claire Byrne as well, he said he didn't think he'll be back for the nationals at all - the travel restrictions with Covid plus other events in Belgium/etc will get in the way.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    They are looking for volunteers to marshal.you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Where can I sign up and do I need experience or accreditation. Honestly ide work the weekend of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

He's a real big gear person isn't he Sam?

I shall be using Saint Morkov from now on!

Where Sam grew up in Carrick :D

527034.jpeg

Where Sam grew up in Carrick :D

527034.jpeg

Thats gas alright :)
    Thats actually where Sams house is, not where his parents live. ;)

• Advertisement

i thought Bennett Close was just behind Sagan view?

lennymc wrote: »
    i thought Bennett Close was just behind Sagan view?

No, sadly Sagan View got moved.

It's on the Newcastle West cycling facebook but not easy find.

TT route is NW to Rathkeale and back and the RR starts in Knockaderry and follows a 18km loop north east of the village and back in on North west

https://www.facebook.com/cyclingireland/posts/3237757779646337 - NWCC linked to Cycling Ireland details in the link above.

red_ken wrote: »

That's absolutely lovely! Like really heartwarmingly lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

That's absolutely lovely! Like really heartwarmingly lovely.

Great, wasn't it?

As an aside, the Sporza commentators and presenters always remind me of this guy-
    527075.jpg

Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

MICHAEL MØRKØV should lead out the next St. Patrick's day parade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

CMcsporty wrote: »

Andre Greipel can back off, all the praise in the world will not tempt Mørkøv to Israel Start Up Nation for 2021 although it is interesting to see the respect Morkov has within the peloton from a former top sprinter whom he never rode with (IIRC)

https://twitter.com/cycling_visual/status/1308308266791903234

Top lead out men are like gold dust. Mark Renshaw was the first super quick lead out man I remember (for Cav)

But the sprinter is still the star. Sam let Markov’s wheel go on Sunday because he (rightfully) thought following Trek was the better choice

CMcsporty wrote: »

Thats an amazing idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Shane Archibold must be feeling very lonely these days

Great response :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

He was pushing a massive gear it seemed in the final sprint. Is that unusual? Seemed to be spinning slower than others in the final sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Ceepo wrote: »
    Great response :)

Had he no flemish or Wallonian to throw out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Top lead out men are like gold dust. Mark Renshaw was the first super quick lead out man I remember (for Cav)

But the sprinter is still the star. Sam let Markov’s wheel go on Sunday because he (rightfully) thought following Trek was the better choice

The way he was able to split Sam and Sagan in the intermediate sprints would suggest to me that if he was sprinting for himself he would be a regular top ten flat stage finisher at any level.

Guys like that need to be looked after well if a team wants to keep them

neris wrote: »
    Shane Archibold must be feeling very lonely these days

He was a fine leadout but Sam is at another level now. Morkov is fantastic and hopefully DQS give him enough shots at his own wins to keep him round because as he was always very well regarded some teams will have taken notice of his high finishes in this tour

He was a fine leadout but Sam is at another level now. Morkov is fantastic and hopefully DQS give him enough shots at his own wins to keep him round because as he was always very well regarded some teams will have taken notice of his high finishes in this tour

Morkov knows his role. He won’t beat the top sprinters. It’s 7 years since he won a race outside of Denmark

It sounds like I’m trying to knock him and I’m really not. The top lead out men get well paid because their job is so hard to do right.

Morkov knows his role. He won’t beat the top sprinters. It’s 7 years since he won a race outside of Denmark

It sounds like I’m trying to knock him and I’m really not. The top lead out men get well paid because their job is so hard to do right.

Speaking of lead out, one thing I noticed in a video shared previously with an on board camera (possibly on Morkov?) is that there didn't seem to be any words exchanged between any of the cyclists, it was almost instinctual for all parties. Some training I guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

dulpit wrote: »
    Speaking of lead out, one thing I noticed in a video shared previously with an on board camera (possibly on Morkov?) is that there didn't seem to be any words exchanged between any of the cyclists, it was almost instinctual for all parties. Some training I guess..

Yeah, I suppose it's pretty noisy with the wind noise already. Not easy to be heard without roaring, and even then it's going to be indistinct. Not easy roaring when you are at max effort and max focus either. Bit of training and bit of a plan seems to be the best idea!

• Advertisement

Won a Road Race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Morkov is 35 as well at this stage. It's not just about the sprint, it's the positioning the whole way to the final that he has to do. There's a reason he's still at DQS, while sprinters come and go. Lefevere knows his value. What's amazing about Morkov is that it doesn't seem to matter which sprinter - so often they come as a pair.

As for whether the best lead out men can do it themselves, there's a whole mental aspect to the pressure to deliver. They're no different to mountain domestiques in a way - might have the numbers to win, but can they handle being the focus? Renshaw who was mentioned above, basically went for one contract and then was back leading out Cav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Morkov is 35 as well at this stage. It's not just about the sprint, it's the positioning the whole way to the final that he has to do. There's a reason he's still at DQS, while sprinters come and go. Lefevere knows his value. What's amazing about Morkov is that it doesn't seem to matter which sprinter - so often they come as a pair.

As for whether the best lead out men can do it themselves, there's a whole mental aspect to the pressure to deliver. They're no different to mountain domestiques in a way - might have the numbers to win, but can they handle being the focus? Renshaw who was mentioned above, basically went for one contract and then was back leading out Cav.

How highly does Leferve rate Sam's achievement, as we know he is ruthless, but a genius with that ruthlessness. Sam's earnt his shot at next years tour imho, will Leferve see it the same way?

I don't expect him to be given anything big the odd low ranked race if that's what he wants

Inquitus wrote: »
    How highly does Leferve rate Sam's achievement, as we know he is ruthless, but a genius with that ruthlessness. Sam's earnt his shot at next years tour imho, will Leferve see it the same way?
    Two year contract - don't see DQS signing anyone else. They've other sprinters, but none you could see taking the slot. I'd say if anything, he might have more hope of getting the mullet a place too.

And we know he pays smaller salaries but bigger win bonuses, maybe why the team were celebrating as much as they were!

Maybe it's just optics but seeing the lead sponsor rebranding both their HQ and social media presence in response to wining green seems pretty significant. It might be that Sam is under more pressure to deliver green than stage wins next year...

After that it might be Sam's call if he prioritises winning with his dream team over a big money contract elsewhere, a la Viviani.

• Advertisement

Sam can do what he wants really. Stage wins at his last 3 grand tours and a green jersey win means every team without a genuine GC contender will want him

He proved with the Bora contract thing that he’s not afraid to back himself too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sam can do what he wants really. Stage wins at his last 3 grand tours and a green jersey win means every team without a genuine GC contender will want him

He proved with the Bora contract thing that he’s not afraid to back himself too

DQS is his dream team and Tom Boonen his hero, can't see him moving tbh, success seems worth more than a minor wage bump to the guy! Plus imho you have to be mad to leave the wolfpack, very few succeed afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Wasn't there talk of Leferve stepping down soon? I think I read somewhere that Boonen was in line to replace him.

Panrich wrote: »
    Wasn't there talk of Leferve stepping down soon? I think I read somewhere that Boonen was in line to replace him.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/patrick-lefevere-looks-ahead-retirement-tom-boonen-become-successor-quick-step-443940

DQS is his dream team and Tom Boonen his hero, can't see him moving tbh, success seems worth more than a minor wage bump to the guy! Plus imho you have to be mad to leave the wolfpack, very few succeed afterwards!
    I'd love to see Sam give the cobbles ago. I've been saying it a few years, certainly since some of the stuff he got over (dropping other sprinters) in that Giro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement