Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nadal playing now , awful match to watch .

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Today's been a load of sh*te. Any chance Djokovic-Khachanov could be decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Disappointed to see Monfils go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

lol Federer won the first set in 16 mins. I'll have to catch the highlights before passing any judgement on the match but encouraging signs if the scoreline indicates anything.

Also +1 with the umpire. That decision was disgraceful. It was good to see Djokovic roaring at the end as a **** you to the crowd.

Unfortunately it looks like Serena is the clear favourite with Pliskova out. I hope so much for Ostapenko but I won't hold my breath.

Giorgi and Georges wont be that easy on grass to be fair. Today was a bye for Serena and we still have not seen her tested whatsoever. The other side is obviously much more interesting, Kas showing signs of quality, while Kerber is doing her thing. Jelena been awesome though, tricky run on paper but handling business with minimum fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Today's been a load of sh*te. Any chance Djokovic-Khachanov could be decent?

Hope so, men's side been pretty bland so far bar Gublis's escapades.:eek:

But good news if its not though.:)

We have Isner v Raonic to look forward to.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Jesus tennis has gone to the dogs

Wouldn’t be a huge follower but follow the GS. Haven’t seen a decent game at Wimbledon yet. Standard is atrocious when you see guys in their mid 30”s cantering through the draw.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well Federer and Nadal (and Serena on the WTA side) aren't exactly your average mid 30's players, but yeah I know what you mean. Now we're likely gonna be faced with a Fedal rematch ten years on, doubt many would've thought that nobody would've stepped up during that time.

C__MC wrote: »

Wouldn’t be a huge follower but follow the GS. Haven’t seen a decent game at Wimbledon yet. Standard is atrocious when you see guys in their mid 30”s cantering through the draw.
    Tennis has always been a young person's sport and the first time three men (who are the GOAT's of the sport mind) in the open era are dominating in their age, people start complaining. These are once in a lifetime players playing in the same era.

That said there's definitely been a void of talent since after the big 3 but at least there's signs that the newer generation recently can make some ripples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

C__MC wrote: »

Slight exaggeration considering there was one player over 32 in the last sixteen and he happens to be the greatest ever. Admittedly the 90s generation does seem relatively poor but they might have been superstars in another era without the Big 3 to contend with.

Is it just me or does Djokovic look half unstoppable at the moment? He's playing as good as I've seen him in his prime, no doubt about it. I know everyone will be going crazy over a potential Fedal final, but a Fed/Nole final I'd find even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have a sneaky feeling for Djokovic to go all the way.  I think the match with Edmund may have relit the flame that has been missing for the last 18 months or so. Hopefully it is the end of Djokovic trying to win over the crowd as well and he just goes out to prove a point. 
    Federer is in the land of the Giants with Anderson up next and then the winner of Isner and Raonic.  He will need kevlar to deal with those serves. 
    Nadal has been cruising through his matches, I am hoping Delpo goes through today and gives Nadal a game. I can't see Simon giving Nadal much of a game, where as Delpo is capable of beating anyone on his day.   I think Djokovic could throw a spanner in the works for the Fedal final.  I hope he does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Floppybits wrote: »
    throw a spanner in the works for the Fedal final.  I hope he does.

No way. They all need to just stand aside and let it happen. 10 years on, the rematch.....It's written in the stars.

Rob2D wrote: »
    No way. They all need to just stand aside and let it happen. 10 years on, the rematch.....It's written in the stars.
    Nadal ain't beating this Djokovic. He'll have a very tough time even getting to the semi's.

Delighted that Juan finally came through. Been a good day so far with Kerber and Ostapenko going through as well. Just need Serena to mess up and it'll be perfect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Rob2D wrote: »
    Nadal ain't beating this Djokovic. He'll have a very tough time even getting to the semi's.

Delighted that Juan finally came through. Been a good day so far with Kerber and Ostapenko going through as well. Just need Serena to mess up and it'll be perfect. :D
    I think it is better if Serena wins. Women's tennis needs a bit of stability. Top 10 seeds out before the quarters? I think you want a few players you can hang your hat on being in the later stages. I would like a big X (X being a number between 3 and 6) with the odd slam going to a surprise. If every game is an upset it loses the appeal (exaggeration I know).

Incidentally the Men's game needs the opposite. A bit more of a challenge from the 3-8 seeds or further down on the top 2 would be welcome there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, these men's QFs now look tasty. Think I'll switch on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hope the final is not Osty v Gorgeous or I won't know who to support :o

Does anyone know where I can watch extended highlights online of the matches? Only getting 2-3 mins on Youtube and can't find much else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Does anyone know where I can watch extended highlights online of the matches? Only getting 2-3 mins on Youtube and can't find much else!
    I was about to post a link to a Japanese/Chinese/some Asian YouTube account which had 20/30 mins highlights of the matches. I was using it all along to watch back highlights of matches I had missed, but it now appears that the account is gone! Looks like it will be a slow day at work for me tomorrow trying to watch the various matches :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Hard to trust Djokovic just yet, he looked pretty good in Paris until the QF ..... he is certainly capable of beating anyone left, but I read an interview with Agassi who was saying that he couldn't make Djokovic 'eat proper'. This tallies with my own observations that he doesn't have the stamina he once had, which seems to be at least partly down to whatever extreme diet he is on nowadays.

So, I'm not sure he has the legs to go all the way, although I would like nothing better than for someone (del potro?) to derail the fedal express that the press is peeing the bed over.

Pretty happy with how the ladies QF's turned out, although I'd have preferred Bertens over Gorges. Really excited for the Kerber-Ostapenko SF, either one facing Serena in the final would make for a great match. I'd love it to be Ostapenko, she's never played Serena so what better time than a Wimbledon final! Alona would be totally up for the challenge, I doubt she'd be daunted by Serena at all.

As for the men's, I'm hoping Del Potro can save us from the inevitable Fedal final. I'd like either him or Nishikori to win the title, but obviously neither will happen. Is there any part of Kei's body that he hasn't injured? Cause that'll surely change tomorrow.

Also let's spare a thought for those lucky enough to get tickets in the Wimbledon ballot and were rewarded with Isner-Raonic on Court 1 :(

• Advertisement

What a great day of sport lies ahead! Men's QF's followed by England-Croatia. Hoping for Anderson, Nishikori, Del Potro, Raonic and Croatia wins.... so expect not a single one of these to transpire.

Fed's BH is beautiful....

DelPo/Nadal could see the upset...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fed struggling

He looks a little.tired in fact. I think missing the match point has affected him mentally

I haven't been able to catch the match from after he went two sets up but he was breathing heavily at the end. Seen he went 40-0 up against Anderson to break but lost 5 points in a row and lost the 3rd set. Feels a bit like the Raonic match a couple of years ago. Federer still should pull through but big servers are giving him problems. Raonic/Isner will be a very difficult match for him potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Missing match point, then losing the next game from 0-40 up. Sounds like the Federer from a few years ago, not the 2017 version.

Federer in real trouble now. He looks exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

cripes I watched the first set and a half and Federer looked immaculate...

Djokovic looked pretty good overall in his match, he may well beat Nadal or Del Potro

Anderson on a roll

Fed still 3 to 1 on here...

Kevin :cool:
    One more to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Roger needs to wake up, he is playing awful stuff.
    Seems content to just try and keep the ball in play and rely on errors from Anderson.

Advertisement