Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2018

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think Walshb, like me, is a little bored of the Federer domination/adulation. And that's ok too. A heavy favourite strolling to a title with little opposition is only interesting for fans of that player.
    Hopefully we can be spared your posts for the rest of the tournament so.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hopefully we can be spared your posts for the rest of the tournament so.

Sorry honey, I'm here to stay xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

walshb wrote: »
    No real urge to watch/tune in this year when a 36, almost 37 year old is the bookies favorite to lift the title, 15 years after his first win...great and all as he was, and seems, is!
    Federer doesn't dominate half as much on grass as Nadal does on clay and I didn't hear you complaining during the French. Rafa was a lock for it. Roger is slight favourite here but it's anything but a lock. Plus, the tour can actually excel on grass. Most of the top players ATM are better attackers than they are defenders.

Having Theim as your main challenger tells me that the clay season was forgettable yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AllForIt wrote: »
    This comment makes no logical sense to me on so many levels. Either you like Tennis or you don't. Why would one who does refrain from watching it for whatever reason?

There seems to be a demographic of ppl who just watch sport sport sport when they have no real interest in the sport itself - just watching it on TV, an armchair enthusiast.

What difference his age makes I've not the first clue. I would have though the fact he is so much older makes his participation in the tournament a point of interest i.e. someone being able to play better than anyone else at this age.

You're reading too deep into it....

Just not all that keen to tune in "this year."

Part of every sports fan tunes in for some sort of wow and excitement and pizzazz. I don't see that this year at SW19....

I have followed tennis for over 30 years. Not religiously, but fairly up on it....I suppose a new era would be welcomed. I just don't see that era, or those players to fill in for the last few greats.

Federer doesn't dominate half as much on grass as Nadal does on clay and I didn't hear you complaining during the French. Rafa was a lock for it. Roger is slight favourite here but it's anything but a lock. Plus, the tour can actually excel on grass. Most of the top players ATM are better attackers than they are defenders.

Having Theim as your main challenger tells me that the clay season was forgettable yet again.

I didn't watch the FO this year.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You're reading too deep into it....

Just not all that keen to tune in "this year."

Part of every sports fan tunes in for some sort of wow and excitement and pizzazz. I don't see that this year at SW19....

I have followed tennis for over 30 years. Not religiously, but fairly up on it....I suppose a new era would be welcomed. I just don't see that era, or those players to fill in for the last few greats.

Do you only watch mens tennis? I mean the womens singles has at least been very competitive this season with both completed slams featuring several memorable encounters. There's also the return of Serena to add spice to Wimbledon. Fair enough if its not your bag.

Do you only watch mens tennis? I mean the womens singles has at least been very competitive this season with both completed slams featuring several memorable encounters. There's also the return of Serena to add spice to Wimbledon. Fair enough if its not your bag.

Yes, I only intentionally watch men's tennis.

I don't like the women's side at all, and haven't done for a while....

I used to watch it a lot more back in the day. It's not as good in many ways. Like watching older tennis from the men's side years ago. Just slow....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Any female totty worth looking out for this year? Not well up on this sport but willing to watch it if there's some fine fillies prancing about. And don't say manky Monica or horrible Hingis because I know there out to pasture lol. I think?
    Katie Boulter...worth the google!

Yes, I only intentionally watch men's tennis.

I don't like the women's side at all, and haven't done for a while....

I used to watch it a lot more back in the day. It's not as good in many ways. Like watching older tennis from the men's side years ago. Just slow....

I dunno...I wouldnt see it as slow myself personally, or maybe its only slow purely in comparison with the mens. Some might not see that as a negative thing at all. Not that there arent power hitters on the womens side as well, I watched Jo Konta hitting 120mph serves earlier which is up there with the big hitters. Its never all about power for me anyway, grew up watching Navratilova and McEnroe and then the likes of Graf and Edberg after that. Graf is my favourite player of all time, just the kind of supreme stylist you rarely get anymore. Well there's Fed of course, but a dwindling pool after that on both sides of the mix if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kvitova out in the very first round with a bagel in the third. No excuses for that sh*t.

• Advertisement

Kvitova out in the very first round with a bagel in the third. No excuses for that sh*t.

Think you have to give some credit to her opponent in fairness. Simply blew her off court in that third set, playing some really smart tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The screeching in the sharapova match is rediculous. Even more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This screaming in women's tennis has gotten out of control. I don't know whether turn the volume off altogether or take a walk in the park on this lovely evening instead. Sharapova match I'm talking about. Think I'll take a walk in a park.

AllForIt wrote: »
    This screaming in women's tennis has gotten out of control. I don't know whether turn the volume off altogether or take a walk in the park on this lovely evening instead. Sharapova match I'm talking about. Think I'll take a walk in a park.

Is it both players at it or just sharapova? It was rediculous. It was like they were screaming extra loud

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

"Feliciano Lopez is playing in his 66th consecutive Grand Slam tournament this year at Wimbledon. He breaks the record which was formerly held by Roger Federer, and is the first player (man or woman) in the history of Open Era to reach this milestone (singles)."

That's cool, always enjoyed watching Lopez, especially on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Floppybits wrote: »
    Is it both players at it or just sharapova? It was rediculous. It was like they were screaming extra loud

Oh both of them trying to out do each other at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rob2D wrote: »
    Eugenie Bouchard playing tomorrow. Enjoy it while it lasts because she won't probably. Another Kournikova in the making that one.
    Bouchard is nowhere near the class of Kournikova. For all the criticism she faces for not winning single titles, for most of her career she rarely entered smaller events where she'd be the top seed, was ranked quite high, and very rarely lost to anyone ranked below her. Near the end, defeats to lower ranked players came, but not for most of her career. And she won a good few doubles titles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Nobody remembers you for being good, only what you won. And outside of a few doubles titles that HINGIS won for her, Anna has nothing. Did she ever even break into the top 5?

If you partnered me with Hingis I'd probably have won a few doubles titles as well :pac:

It's horrendous to listen to....

I know the men grunt, but that is far more acceptable on the ears than that screeching sh1t. It should be banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I know the men grunt, but that is far more acceptable on the ears than that screeching sh1t. It should be banned.

Have to be lenient with Sharapova.

The incessant screaming might be a side effect of the banned substances.

• Advertisement

Have to be lenient with Sharapova.

The incessant screaming might be a side effect of the banned substances.
    The lack of banned substances in Sharapova's system seems to be having a affect. Knocked out in the first round.

The lack of banned substances in Sharapova's system seems to be having a affect. Knocked out in the first round.

True story!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Why are BBC only showing matches with British players? Was hoping to see Delpo yesterday but not even in the highlights.
    Hoped to see Madison Keys this morning but watching some randomer get bageled.

I'm not really feeling this new trend of Bouchard giving rather than receiving bagels.

Glad to see Azarenka-Pliskova is on Centre Court where it belongs. Here's to hoping today isn't the day where Karolina makes the 3rd round for the first time. Also good to see Hsieh made the 2nd round. How Pavlyuchenkova is still seeded at grand slams is beyond me.

The screaming players are a dying breed in tennis, very few up the upcoming players, bar Sabalenka, are doing it. Regarding Sharapova and her form, whilst I'd guess her current level is more so a consequence of making a comeback after 15 months out of the game at the age of 31 than the lack of Meldonium, it certainly seems her career as a force in the game is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Dennis Novak woot. Where did this guy come from?

Why are BBC only showing matches with British players? Was hoping to see Delpo yesterday but not even in the highlights.

Well, they've already shown plenty of matches not involving British players and not just behind red button. Otherwise not sure why a British station shouldnt be showing British players most of whom are going to be knocked out quickly anyway. No credit for cutting it off at match point though. Not that i was particularly bothered one way or the other.

I took the afternoon off Monday - Men's defending champion traditionally starts.

Beeb 2 showing some Brit kid ranked 177 in the world.

Not happy!!!

Dennis Novak woot. Where did this guy come from?

Googles.

Oooh he purdy!!!!!!

(Not a patch on my Roger but hell a girl's gotta eat!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Glad Murray is not in it, I can't look at his snarly angry head.
    Roger to win.

With you on that one. Mammy and Km looking eternally pissed off until he needs them to shout come on at him with added fist pump.

• Advertisement

Oh dear god Makarova!!

Advertisement