Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭High bike

Thought there was a good pick up in the weanlings in Ennis today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was to somewhat disappointed I asked about his bullocks. At present store price lads will need a stronger bade than this year to make money. AA/HE heifers never make heavy weights having said that a lad I am very friendly with bought 350-400 kg LW heifers this time last year. He carries them right to the 30 months age. He hung an AA and 4 HE heifers late last week. 2 out of 4 heifers grade R as he carries them to the limit. The AA heifer beat everything graded R-4+ at 340 kgs. She made over 1450 euro. The HE heifers averaged 1320. He was feeding 2 kgs/ day since mid July

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

Store cattle got very dear over the last fortnight weighing well now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

That man got cleaned with his aa heifer . If she was 340kg and into 1450 that’s only 4.26 a kg. A lot more than that going . We’re did he kill ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

True, I sent a mixed load last week with a few AA x heifers on it, €4.65 when all bonuses were added in. They made a show of some FR bullocks that I got €3.90 for (P+ 3+). The little AA x heifers killed around 300kgs (R- & R= 3 &4's), the FR bullocks killed around 340 kgs. I would guess the FR's were around 700kgs live weight but I don't think the AA x were 600kgs. Didn't think the heifers would grade R's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

If he’s not QA it’s about what she’d make. If he’s QA he needs to be contacting his agent straight away as he’s been done out of near €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Assuming QA he’d get 6c on that grade, 20 c in spec bonus so as a minimum it’s a €4 base Not factoring in AA 20 c bonus.

Take base price of €4.20 for heifers at the moment. An R-4+ will be down €0.06 so €4.14. Assuming QA brings that to €4.34. There will then be at least 10 cent extra to be got for AA if not 20 cent.

So at 10 cent that’s €4.44/kg * 340kgs = €1509

At 20 cent for AA that’s €4.54 * 340kgs = €1,543.

If non QA, base of €4.20 reduced to €4.14 for being 4+. You might be lucky enough to get that back up to €4.20 as the AA bonus * 340kgs = €1428.

Edit to add: QA for a 4+ is only €0.12 so the QA figures above should be €1,482 and €1,516.

• Advertisement

She was a tad short of 340, 337.7kgs, she was hung last Thursday and booked in since the previous Monday base price was 4.15/ kg. As she was FS 4+ she lost 8c on the QA. That gives a total price of 4.37@ giving a total amount of 1475, deductions were 16.50 leaving a gross amount of 1458.50 for the heifer.

There is crap going on locally lads that haul in cattle themselves in smaller boxes are struggling to get some of the higher prices locally. They are being quoted 5c/ kg less. However he carries cattle to within 10-15 days of there birthday.

If he opts to travel with cattle transport will set him back at least 18 euro and cattle will be loaded 6-8pm the evening before. He dropped these up himself between 7 and 10 am. He is about 6 miles from local factory

Slava Ukrainii

Just edited the figures on my post above before I saw yours.

It’s an awful pity he didn’t send her a week or 2 earlier. 18 cent a kilo lost due to her being a 4+ instead of a 4=. I know she would have been a few kilos lighter dw if going as a 4= but he probably would have made €40-€50 more still and a week or 10 days less feed gone into her.

No he got the AA 10c bonus on her, so it was only an 8c/ kg loss. As he only kills 12-15 AA/ year he will never get the 20c however he got the 10c/ kg on his Herefords The base was 4.1 two weeks ago as well. However 2-3 weeks ago she might not have graded R which would have knocked 12c/ kg off her. He finds this system works for him

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Very disappointing to see the quality of the camera and board in castleislands second ring today hadn't seen them sell there in a long time.

Hard to tell from the catalogue but looks like too many didn't sell it was a clearance sale of PB Angus followed by the sucklers.

It was really hard to judge the stock and the info section wasn't showing the right lot details or anything. They had the certs up alright but I'd be disappointed if I was selling hoping for online bidders

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Can Friesian Bullocks be a better option than Angus or Hereford bullocks for summer grazing system? At least they will cost less coming in but will have a larger appetite for grass. Buy around 400 kg liveweight and sell early October when hopefully the finishers will be interested in them at weight in excess of liveweight of 500 kg plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭White Clover

A big percentage of friesians come out of the shed well short of 400kg.

I say about 90% come out sub 400kgs usually any over are still bulls.

At summer grazing you would want a LW gain of 200kgs+ to be in with any chance of a decent margin especially with FR's. Thick would be to buy sub 300 kgs and get them to 500 kgs or a bit with it. You would want to be buying in early/ mid March. Then start selling as they hit that 500 kgs mark from September on. Start closing for the following year from mid October on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes only top of the range ones will be 400kgs (mart scales) these would have got the best do from birth and born early the previous year or late the year before.

The problem with them is that they don't sell well as stores in a bad cattle price year. IMO u need to finish them in the shed at 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

How many Friesisn Bullocks should 20 acres carry?

I presume you are on about Friesian yearlings. If it paddocked and you are not doing silage you manage 30+. Problem is the end of the year. Unless you start off loading in late August you run out of grass very fast

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The problem with feeding anything out of a shed is the processors will not give you enough to cover costs. This is especially true of Friesians. Ya there may be a good price this year but feeding costs are savage. You will feed bullocks like a ton of ration and they will eat a decent amount of silage. Even Teagasc have stopped advising winter finishing them. Traditionally lads that were doing it fed them to finish at 330 -340 kgs in late April/ early May. However processor's have stopped giving decent prices rises for finishing during this period.

There is lads hanging the better ones that will have cover on them at 27-290 DW in November/ December but grading can be brutal on some of them. This year there will be a decent base price but store and feed prices will catch lads.

At a base of 4/kg

O=3 will make 4.02/kg

O-3 will make 3.88/kg

P+3 will make 3.7/kg

If they grade 1/3 each you that will be about it unless you really pick through your bullocks. Friesians will continue to grow strongly until over three years of age usually.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes óí recon 1.5 to the acre too but with 20 acres you can run into trouble with drought etc. If paddocking them you must be very good with grass management to achieve 30 on 20 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I work off a rough idea that an acre will feed 600kg live weight for the summer with a bag and half of 18.6.12 in April and a bag of CAN in early August, field divided into 5 paddocks, cattle aprox 5 days in each paddock... depending on the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I ran 15 x 1.5 year old heifers on 10 acres this year, a bit tight on grass in July massive grass growth in August, surplus now, sold 5 last week just with the prices the way they are... normally hold till early Oct and supplement with a couple of bales/nuts coming near the end as needed.

Averaged .8kg a day gain over the 300 days they were on the farm, got a shake of nuts for 10 weeks over the winter. Was happy with the performance, try to go low input low cost here...

Paddocking should actually achieve higher than that. 2.5 acres paddocks would be ideal, 8 of them moving cattle twice a week. Two water troughs in central positions on the field. Two posts on diagonal corners a d paddock with pigtails and reels.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Sold 2 Plain AAX bullocks yesterday in Castlerea. Mar and May 2020 born. 410kg and 415kg both made €960 thought it was great money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

you won’t get to take off that balaclava for a few days...😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Ah but a wet spell, dry spell leaves you nothing but busy. Lower numbers, Low fert, larger paddocks and a topper are leaving an easier life and at least as much and sometimes a lot more money I learned the hard way.

The price of a bag of magic pepper can’t be recouped never mind a profit at beef. The milk is a different ballgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I find the secret with the magic pepper if you can manage it is to only use a little dust at a time on grazing. I go about 3 times a year, March, June and September, that way there is never a big flush of grass in front of the cattle, so no need for topper and they always have enough. For the last 3 years I have started to put some hay seed in the spreader if the field is after been grazed tight and I am really starting to notice an improvement in grass quality and quantity & in the cattle it is feeding. Less then €50 for a bag of hay seed and I probably spread it over 15 -20 acres, I think I am getting a better return on the hay seed than the magic pepper.

Advertisement