Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its being turned on this SATURDAY!!! Large Hadron Collider goes ON

Options
  • 07-08-2008 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

The Machine!

Hi Gang,

Nice knowing you all. :eek:

The machine has been called the largest scientific experiment in history and it straddles the French and Swiss border buried at a depth of 330 feet underground.

It cost $5.8 billion to set up and with it scientists will hunt for signs of invisible "dark matter" and "dark energy"

The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some strange discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on this Saturday.

However the safety of the powerful collider has been debated for years.

Some critics fear that the Large Hadron Collider may actually exceed physicists' wildest calculations by creating a black hole that could swallow Earth, or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead mass, or release theoretical killer particles known as strangelets.

Scientists at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, say this is ridiculous.

Project leader Lyn Evans said: "Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on."

"There is a huge army of scientists who know what they are talking about and are sleeping quite soundly as far as concerns the LHC."

And David Francis, a physicist on the collider's huge ATLAS particle detector said: "If I thought that this was going to happen, I would be well away from here."

Comforting words indeed.

The Collider
    The collider basically consists of a ring of supercooled magnets 17 miles in circumference attached to huge barrel-shaped detectors.

When it is at full power, two beams of protons will race around the huge ring 11,000 times a second in opposite directions. They will travel in two tubes and speed through a vacuum that is colder and emptier than outer space.

Large detectors and cameras will collect data as the protons collide and 15 petabytes of data will be collected each year equivalent to a pile of CDs 12miles tall

No danger
    Martin Rees, a physicist, has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million which is about the same odds as winning some lotteries.

A CERN team has also issued a report concluding that there is "no conceivable danger" of a cataclysmic event.

However, skeptics theorize that micro black holes produced by the collider might be trapped inside the earth's gravitational field and eventually threaten the planet.

Either way we find out this Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Daycent. Hopefully we all cease to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Should have built it in Cork so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Good, i have a deadline next week so if the world ends i don't have to worry about it.

Come on Black Mesa incident for real, everyone stock up on crowbars!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

If a micro black hole were produced they would only last for a fraction of a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Seachmall - that was quality

If a micro black hole were produced they would only last for a friction of a second.
    Some typos are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Terry wrote: »
    About time.

yup
    .wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; margin-top: 5px; margin-right: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 10px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px } .wysiwyg a:link, .wysiwyg_alink { color: #22229c } .wysiwyg a:visited, .wysiwyg_avisited { color: #22229c } .wysiwyg a:hover, .wysiwyg a:active, .wysiwyg_ahover { color: #ff4400 } p { margin: 0px; } .inlineimg { vertical-align: middle; }

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Steyr - do you know if the world is going to be annihilated in the morning or the afternoon on Saturday? I bought tickets to go see Galway vs. Kerry in the afternoon but if the world is going to end circa 4pm Saturday I'm f*cked if I'm going to spend my last hours on earth sitting in traffic on the N6!!

Also seeing as we're on the topic and ladies out there who want to make sure they feel like a real woman before they die would need to get in contact quick as I only have until Saturday to do it you all.

On the up side a black hole would nicely sort out the global warming problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I still don't understand how a bunch of scientist nerds managed to talk loads of countries into giving them billions of euros to build something which could destroy the earth.

Quality.

yup
    .wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; margin-top: 5px; margin-right: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 10px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px } .wysiwyg a:link, .wysiwyg_alink { color: #22229c } .wysiwyg a:visited, .wysiwyg_avisited { color: #22229c } .wysiwyg a:hover, .wysiwyg a:active, .wysiwyg_ahover { color: #ff4400 } p { margin: 0px; } .inlineimg { vertical-align: middle; }
    Awesome.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I still don't understand how a bunch of scientist nerds managed to talk loads of countries into giving them billions of euros to build something which could destroy the earth.

Quality.
    Ahh, they said the same about the atom bomb and we're all here now, minus a few hundred thousand Japanese and what would have been their descendants.

AARRRGH wrote: »

Quality.

It's win-win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Unfortunately for all you black hole fetishists out there, it's only an injection test. The end of the world doesn't come until October/November.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'll be on the watch out for Zombies. This is exactly the cunning decoy for Z-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dfx- wrote: »
    I'll be on the watch out for Zombies. This is exactly the cunning decoy for Z-day.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think we'll be missed much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 holylucifer

Conor108 wrote: »
    Should have built it in Cork so:D

:-) cork,as for blackhole at cork hahah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

-annex- wrote: »
    Unfortunately for all you black hole fetishists out there, it's only an injection test. The end of the world doesn't come until October/November.

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed a post. (Well, except maybe when I found out Tar's true gender.) Is there any chance that if this injection test goes wrong the world may still end on Saturday? Cos I'm going to very drunk on Friday night and I'll probably sleep a lot better if I know I won't be waking up with a terrible hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

pardon my ignorance but will it take more than a day for the particles to collide or will they be traveling at massive speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

It may doom us all, but it really is a beautiful machine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

some of the comments on there are quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Hadron Collider restores my faith in humanity, such a triumph of pure thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Drift wrote: »
    Also seeing as we're on the topic and ladies out there who want to make sure they feel like a real woman before they die would need to get in contact quick as I only have until Saturday to do it you all.
    !

Yeah, I need some shirts ironed as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wow, it looks amazing. The scale of it really drives home how much money,effort, and intelligence has gone into this, with the simple goal of increasing our understanding of the world. Makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside. I really wish I knew more about physics though.

Hansel wrote: »
    some of the comments on there are quality.

The half life ones are good, but this
    Zippy wrote:
    Well, if this does kill us all, it will be a shame we won't have this blog/comments section to learn why America was to blame...
    and
    Don_Durito wrote:
    The end of the world is pretty
    are pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Amazing photos.
    Some feat of engineering.

Will we be able to divide by zero after this?

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Will we be able to divide by zero after this?
    1/0=1

Advertisement