Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its being turned on this SATURDAY!!! Large Hadron Collider goes ON

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Steyr wrote: »
    The Machine!

Hi Gang,

Nice knowing you all. :eek:

The machine has been called the largest scientific experiment in history and it straddles the French and Swiss border buried at a depth of 330 feet underground.

It cost $5.8 billion to set up and with it scientists will hunt for signs of invisible "dark matter" and "dark energy"

The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some strange discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on this Saturday.

However the safety of the powerful collider has been debated for years.

Some critics fear that the Large Hadron Collider may actually exceed physicists' wildest calculations by creating a black hole that could swallow Earth, or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead mass, or release theoretical killer particles known as strangelets.

Scientists at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, say this is ridiculous.

Project leader Lyn Evans said: "Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on."

"There is a huge army of scientists who know what they are talking about and are sleeping quite soundly as far as concerns the LHC."

And David Francis, a physicist on the collider's huge ATLAS particle detector said: "If I thought that this was going to happen, I would be well away from here."

Comforting words indeed.

The Collider
    The collider basically consists of a ring of supercooled magnets 17 miles in circumference attached to huge barrel-shaped detectors.

When it is at full power, two beams of protons will race around the huge ring 11,000 times a second in opposite directions. They will travel in two tubes and speed through a vacuum that is colder and emptier than outer space.

Large detectors and cameras will collect data as the protons collide and 15 petabytes of data will be collected each year equivalent to a pile of CDs 12miles tall

No danger
    Martin Rees, a physicist, has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million which is about the same odds as winning some lotteries.

A CERN team has also issued a report concluding that there is "no conceivable danger" of a cataclysmic event.

However, skeptics theorize that micro black holes produced by the collider might be trapped inside the earth's gravitational field and eventually threaten the planet.

Either way we find out this Saturday.

I will laugh myself silly if the evidence from the collider is 'there had to be a creator':D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ah the event has come and gone, we wait until Sept now to see what happens on the first proper test using the whole thing and more power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

It may doom us all, but it really is a beautiful machine...

jesus that site just locked my copmputer, some fecking beautiful pics though once my computer stopped frazzling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well, I've got my crowbar. I'll be okay.
    http://www.shift-1.net/mutes/gordon2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

If a micro black hole were produced they would only last for a fraction of a second.

isnt that how hellboy came out?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Can they not wait til Sunday? There's a beers on Saturday! :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm, I wonder was it originally Sept 11th? The date obviously being when the world kinda changed anyways.

I for one welcome our new spaghettified Black Holians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

As fascinating as I find this subject (i really do), am I the only one who keeps reading it as "Large Hardon Collider"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

*touches self*

We still here?

The real test will be in September. I for one will be living like a Roman God between now and then just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I keep reading it as "colinder" which is quite ironic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many super heroes do they reckon that this yoke will accindentally produce?

Bambi wrote: »
    How many super heroes do they reckon that this yoke will accindentally produce?

Will I start making a costume out of Rampant Rabbits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just one: Dr. Manhattan. (snigger!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

HouseHippo wrote: »
    We get it you are smart we are not...

if i was really smart, i would have been there for 4 years and got a degree as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dam those pictures are amazing.

kinda complicated no!

imagine if one wire were to break in the middle of it all.

repair costs 5billion! rofl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

It may doom us all, but it really is a beautiful machine...

Incredible photos. Possibly the coolest non-commercial thing mankind has done since the moon landing.

Still...
    Scientist 7: "Now, now, if you follow standard insertion procedure,
    everything will be fine."
    Scientist 6: "I don't know how you can say that. Although I will admit
    that the possibility of a resonance cascade scenario is extremely
    unlikely."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Incredible photos. Possibly the coolest non-commercial thing mankind has done since the moon landing.
    Very true, yet hardly a mention of it in the mainstream media, especially TV. The only exception is a program on one of the Discovery channels about the building of it .. absolutely incredible, from every standpoint .. scientific, technical, engineering. There are people there who've been working on that one single project for almost 15 years.

In Victorian times, projects on this scale (relatively speaking, of course) were constant headline news in the newspapers, and the engineers responsible were national heroes (Brunel, Stephenson, Telford), but these days we all seem to have become a bit jaded and immune to the magnificence of these great engineering wonders. Sad, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

instead there are features on britney spears and so on. Its all about the "story" and what "sells." Oh dear. The photos are really humbling, they demonstrate what the human mind can achieve and the potential of our species. The people who designed this, whether they are cool or not, I already admire the way their minds work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Still...
    Scientist 7: "Now, now, if you follow standard insertion procedure,
    everything will be fine."
    Scientist 6: "I don't know how you can say that. Although I will admit
    that the possibility of a resonance cascade scenario is extremely
    unlikely."

i think we should prepare for..... unforeseen consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Forget all the spin, this is the truth about the collider:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/large-hadron-collider.php

• Advertisement

Why isnt this been covered more by da meedja?

What arent they telling us?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

well Ill be skeeter if that isnt the fanciest looking donut ring doo-hickey I ever did see!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Went to look at those photos there and my computer tried to commit suicide on me.

Either my crappy slow computer couldn't handle loading some pictures...

or it recognised it for what it was, the machine that will destroy everything. I'm gonna have to let my computer sleep with me tonight and convince it that it was all a bad dream.

Shhhh it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

The Large Hadron Collider seems to share some features with this baby
    New Internet broadband wireless technology generates hope, fear

Hutchinson Whampoa's enormous $4.3-billion network accelerator or atpx 45/9697uv fast pipe splitter service, to be activated as early as October 2008, is generating both excitement and fear.

By Thomas Handley Jefferson
    July 15, 2008

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56750671&postcount=4737

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Seems like a lot for just one black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is it not a bit dosconcerting that whoever loggs onto their website to view their pictures. Their computer crashes? If they cant get basic webdesign right I dont trust this large hardon thing. :pac:

"Huge-Dick-Smasher-o-matic"
    lol

http://wttf.org/strips/2008-02-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Seems like a lot for just one black hole.

lols!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Whens it being activated nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Well, to pass time, drink as much as you want because if the world ends then you won't have to wake up to a hangover so...

apocalypse party wooooooowoooooo.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Conor108 wrote: »
    Whens it being activated nowadays?

According to wikipedia, ''the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for September 10, 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on October 21, 2008.''

Advertisement