Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-03-2009, 11:21   #31
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
so how does rat poison work then?
The rat bleeds to death internally so they get very thirsty and leave the premises to find water. This means they dispose of the body themselves so no stinking corpse under the floor boards.

naked mole rats have a social structure like ants or bees. They have one queen and a caste system with workers and soldiers
Advertisement
02-05-2009, 16:53   #32

Small fact on the polar bear...

Polar bears actually have black skin and translucent hairs... black skin for heat absorption and the translucent hair allow this heat to be absorbed yet the hair appears white for purposes of camaflogue
30-05-2009, 19:18   #33
Micky 32

I could never get my head around this about time. As you go near the speed of light time slows down, so you go out in your spaceship on a round trip out in space at the speed of light for a year and when you come back to earth 10 years have passed. I always thought time was just a measurement of what we do and events. There must be more to time than that.
10-06-2009, 20:25   #34
thebouldwhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky 32 View Post
I could never get my head around this about time. As you go near the speed of light time slows down, so you go out in your spaceship on a round trip out in space at the speed of light for a year and when you come back to earth 10 years have passed. I always thought time was just a measurement of what we do and events. There must be more to time than that.

ya cant just throw out questions about time.... try these clips.

Ohh the headache is back
14-06-2009, 19:21   #35
nyarlothothep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky 32 View Post
I'm not a scientist but stuff like time dillation makes a lot more sense if you visualize space and time as being one thing rather than separate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_diagram
Advertisement
24-06-2009, 21:32   #36

The human brain is 2% of the body's weight but uses a hungry 20% of its energy
30-06-2009, 18:47   #37
tricky D
NSAbot: Second Variety

Re time dilation...

Another version of this is about travelling to the nearest star about 4 light years away. Assuming you have a propulsion system that can accelerate you at 10m/s2 (that's your on board gravity sorted), you would set off accelerating for about 15/20 years. When you're half way there, you're up to around half the speed of light. Then you turn the craft around to decelerate at 10m/s2. So if you're lucky enough to find a planet with intelligent life, 30ish years later, you arrive there, say hello, exchange gifts, have a wild party, etc. then you head off back to good old Earth. The round trip would take around 70 years, but when you get back something like 20/30 thousand years have passed!

Can't remember the figures more precisely, but that's the jist of it.
Thanks from:
30-07-2009, 14:16   #38

Not sure if this counts but a tigers skin is striped, as well as its fur
10-09-2009, 01:27   #39
c-note

Submarines cannot use GPS to navigate underwater as the signals from the gps satellites only penetrate water to a very shallow depth.

instead they use inertial guidance, and correct their position occasionally when they surface!
Advertisement
18-09-2009, 01:53   #40
Urizen

This is probably off topic, but look up non-Euclidean geometry. Get your head around that!

Also, multi-dimensional theory is interesting, relates to string theory. This video isn't REALLY right, but damn it's entertaining!

http://tenthdimension.com/medialinks.php
04-01-2010, 00:39   #41
del88

strange????

up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested - probably once belonged to Shakespeare. A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name. (The personages have to be historical, apparently, as it takes the atoms some decades to become thoroughly redistributed; however much you may wish it, you are not yet one with Elvis Presley
13-01-2010, 17:17   #42
Turtwig
Censoring your opinion since you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by del88 View Post
up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested - probably once belonged to Shakespeare. A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name. (The personages have to be historical, apparently, as it takes the atoms some decades to become thoroughly redistributed; however much you may wish it, you are not yet one with Elvis Presley
In response to this one.

Each time you drink a glass water at least one molecule of it has passed through the bladder of Oliver Cromwell.
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2010, 18:36   #43
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_T View Post
In response to this one.

Each time you drink a glass water at least one molecule of it has passed through the bladder of Oliver Cromwell.
If you live in London it's quite probable that the molecules have been through several baldders since they last fell as rain
Thanks from:
07-05-2010, 15:48   #44

keep these comming there are some very interesting facts here
01-07-2010, 21:53   #45
woofy

The Sun

50% of the suns mass is concentrated in just 2% of its volume at its core with a density of over a hundred tonnes per meter cubed at the center.

Every second the sun produces as much energy as about 6 trillion of the bombs that destroyed hiroshima in WWII.

The energy produced at the core of the Sun in nuclear fusion takes millions of years to travel to the surface of the sun but just a little over 8 minutes to reach the earth from the suns surface.

If you could stand on the surface of the Sun you'd weigh about 28 times heavier than you do on the Earths surface.

The Sun will produce as much energy in its approx. 10 billion year lifetime (in its current state) as the entire universe will in about a micro second.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion