Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those that speak Gaeilge, can you understand this Scots Gaelic?

Options
  • 22-01-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I'm not fluent in Irish but I can recognize a few words from this. For those of you who are fluent though, can you follow what this lady is saying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Maybe others are different, but although I can follow simple sentences, I find full blown Scots Gaelic difficult to understand. It's simple in writing, especially if you know the classical Irish spelling system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I found it interesting to watch the video.

First, part of my mind was occupied with observing my own experience, with questions like "do I understand this?" and "what are my aids or barriers to understanding this?". Such questions probably lowered the degree of my comprehension of what was said.

Yes, I did get the general gist of the piece. I was aided by the visuals and the general conventions of televised weather forecasts, but I could also get my head around much of the language.

I also had a minor hiccup with my reliance on visual cues when I saw some placenames in Gaelic, and found them interesting.

Were I to holiday in Scotland and see such a weather forecast, I think I should be better equipped to plan my activities for the following day - except that I am of that generation that was accustomed to unreliable forecasting, and I have never managed to overcome my scepticism.

[I watched the video only once before responding, because in ordinary circumstances you get only one shot at broadcast material.]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Like P Breathnach, I only watched it once. I understood most of it. Like him too, I found myself thinking a lot -- things like "huh, they use fíor too" as in fíor-mhaith. There were parts of it though, like stretches of about 5 seconds where I literally understood nothing. But it wasn't like wow this is some incomprehensible language, it was the kind of lack of understanding when somebody from Kerry speaks extremely fast -- sorta like I should know what this means... but don't!

I've listened to Gaidhlig before, but I gotta say that this was more understandable. Tuning into a radio news progamme OTOH makes things more difficult. No frame of reference.

I wonder how the Gaidhlig speakers get on with understanding Irish...

Advertisement